Wimbledon 2016 - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wimbledon 2016

Parklife

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Thought he'd blown it. What a fighter Andy is though...

His heart and determination are a lesson to almost all of our Scottish footballers. 

When he held serve in the opening and turned and shouted, pointing at his temple, "i will not lose!", was brilliant. A man of considerable talent but also extreme mental fortitude. Which makes when all the idiots used to accuse him of "bottling it" all the more stupid. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

His heart and determination are a lesson to almost all of our Scottish footballers. 

When he held serve in the opening and turned and shouted, pointing at his temple, "i will not lose!", was brilliant. A man of considerable talent but also extreme mental fortitude. Which makes when all the idiots used to accuse him of "bottling it" all the more stupid. 

it would also help if our footballers gave a flying feck

7 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

What's the order of play tomorrow? 

I'd assume as Federer is in the top half of the draw that his match will be first again?  Hopefully it'll go to 5 sets again so I can watch the Murray match in the boozer!!

12 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

What's the order of play tomorrow? 

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd assume as Federer is in the top half of the draw that his match will be first again?  Hopefully it'll go to 5 sets again so I can watch the Murray match in the boozer!!

What half they are in doesn't matter, i don't think? I do suspect Murray will be 2nd though. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What half they are in doesn't matter, i don't think? I do suspect Murray will be 2nd though. 

The top half of the draw have played "first" all the way through so just assumed it would be the same.  In the women's semis today Serena is up first as well.  Might just be a coincidence but I though it was worked that way,

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The top half of the draw have played "first" all the way through so just assumed it would be the same.  In the women's semis today Serena is up first as well.  Might just be a coincidence but I though it was worked that way,

Nope. As Djokovic was defending champion and was in the top half, the top half have played first. If Murray had been in the top half (and Djokovic bottom) then the bottom would've played first. 

From 1/4's on wards it's purely down to the organisers scheduling choices. 

48 mins for the first woman's semi-final, 72 mins for the second.

I've had shites that have lasted longer than that.

I could have my yearly rant about women's tennis getting equal prize money, but nah, I won't bother.

You can't apply common sense to folk getting paid millions, otherwise you wouldn't pay them millions.

It's to do with revenue generation, and Williams sisters and others (Big 4 in mens) bring in most of the revenue from advertisement etc.

god knows how you could give everyone what they "deserve".

11 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Is it just at the Grandslams they get paid less or on the tour at well? 

Men and women get paid the same at the 'Slams. 

20 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Is it just at the Grandslams they get paid less or on the tour at well? 

The tour events are separate, unlike these four.

I'm assuming the "less" bit is a typo...

Raonic vs Federer into the 5th set now.

Federer a break point down and has called the trainer on again.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

i was thinking about the pay equalisation earlier - based on the short length of the semi;s

Longest EVER womens match at Wimbledon 3hrs 45 mins versus 11 hrs 5 mins 

Longest womens final was 2 hrs 45 mins 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Championships,_Wimbledon

cant remember last time i watched a women's match - maybe Sharapova or Kournakova or back in the day Hana Mandlikova - just never interesting - hardly worth sitting down for an hour