2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Good number of them were definitely not, it definitely has reinvigorated my vote towards the snp

It has not just brought most of them 'back'. A lot of them were going to be tactically voting against the SNP prior to ALBA. There was a real hardening of opinion after Sturgeon's performance at the inquiry. Prior to that I think most were just not going to bother voting.

I said when ALBA launched that people might not realize it but Alex Salmond has done the SNP a massive favour here (and the independence movement). He has taken what was going to be a very damaging split and converted it into an opportunity for a supermajority. As always there are diehards on both sides who would cut off their off nose to spite their face.

If ALBA fails that discontent and anger that has been dissipated will come back with interest, a lot of interest. It will be much worse and much more destructive. 

This is a pivotal moment.

Edited by thplinth
  • Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thplinth's typical reaction whenever he's respectfully challenged by other posters about his (borderline spam posting) increasingly paranoid, conspiracy supporting, right wing views ..... T

You think you're becoming more pragmatic, can see both sides, with age and then an individual turns your country into a colony.  And I use that word advisedly. Don't even need to defend their pos

You might think Denise and the #iamthestorm crowd are exaggerating, but just look at the evidence. Over here in Ireland we've had gender recognition certificates for years now. As a result, Irela

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

To be fair, at easter i saw images of Jesus with Salmond's face photoshopped over the top. :lol: 

To be fair I don't think they are selling them in the ALBA store. :lol:

10 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Latest poll this evening from Savanta ComRes: 

Yes - 45%
No - 45%

Has the SNP on 64 seats and Alba zero from 3%. Greens giving a comfortable Indy majority. 

The Scotsman are blaming the SNP falling short of a majority on Alba BUT on closer inspection, it appears that the SNP vote share has not gone down and their seats have gone up by one. And despite the Greens predicted to gain 4 seats, the data appears to show their list vote% went down (SNP's didn't). Implying that Alba list vote, if anything, was nibbling at Green list vote - yet Greens getting the benefit of extra seats. So it looks as if the Scotsman is 'at it'. The Unionists still don't know whether to talk up Alex Salmond or talk him down.

Edited by exile
23 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

For anyone thinking of purchasing these t-shirts it would be useful to know if they fit true to size or whether it would be advisable to take a size up please aaid?    

They're not on the website.

3 minutes ago, exile said:

The Scotsman are blaming the loss of SNP majority on Alba BUT on closer inspection, it appears that the SNP vote share has not gone down and their seats have gone up by one. And despite the Greens predicted to gain 4 seats, the data appears to show their list vote% went down (SNP's didn't). Implying that Alba list vote, if anything, was nibbling at Green list vote - yet Greens getting the benefit of extra seats. So it looks as if the Scotsman is 'at it'.

It would be kind of ironic and vey amusing if all that Alba achieved was to strengthen SNP support on the constituency and increase support for the Greens as it got people thinking about tactical voting on the list.   I think some people would self combust if that were the outcome of the election.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It has not just brought most of them 'back'. A lot of them were going to be tactically voting against the SNP prior to ALBA. There was a real hardening of opinion after Sturgeon's performance at the inquiry. Prior to that I think most were just not going to bother voting.

I said when ALBA launched that people might not realize it but Alex Salmond has done the SNP a massive favour here (and the independence movement). He has taken what was going to be a very damaging split and converted it into an opportunity for a supermajority. As always there are diehards on both sides who would cut off their off nose to spite their face.

If ALBA fails that discontent and anger that has been dissipated will come back with interest, a lot of interest. It will be much worse and much more destructive. 

This is a pivotal moment.

Maybe he’s so selfless that he’s expecting Alba to fail and the SNP to benefit. 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

It would be kind of ironic and vey amusing if all that Alba achieved was to strengthen SNP support on the constituency and increase support for the Greens as it got people thinking about tactical voting on the list.   I think some people would self combust if that were the outcome of the election.

I think that is a very possible outcome. 

Well that was a very funny and curious little incident. Those T-shirts can only have been removed a few minutes before aaid posted that 'he could not find them'. That was lucky. :lol:

Just remember aaid, the cover-up is always worse than the crime.

T-Shirtgate. The truth is out there.

Yet another poll:

Yes: 51% (-) No: 49% (-)

Scottish parliament voting intention(s):

Constituency:  SNP: 53% (+7) CON: 21% (-3) LAB: 18% (-2) LDEM: 6% (-)

List: SNP: 44% (+2) CON: 22% (-) LAB: 17% (-2) GRN: 7% (-) LDEM: 5% (-) ALBA: 2% (+2)

via @OpiniumResearch, 01 - 06 Apr Chgs. w/ 16 Mar

Forecast seats (Sky)

"If these results are translated roughly into seats, the SNP will get an overall majority in the Scottish Parliament of 13... The SNP would have 71 seats, while the Conservatives would be on 27 seats, Labour on 21, the Greens on 6 and Lib Dems on 4."

Edited by exile
36 minutes ago, aaid said:

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think that is a very possible outcome. 

Yep - Had a similar conversation with one of my friends last night

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

THAT t-shirt though?  Fkin hell, who outside of Pete Wishart would be wet enough to wear that?

I thought it was a wind-up so went into their online shop and it's not the only design featuring her!

They do sell though and, let's face it, it's all about making some money. All political parties need money. I don't know who pays £18 for a T-shirt though. Any T-shirt that is, never mind that one. Probably somebody buying it as a joke for a Tory loving grandad? There might be a bigger market now for ALBA loving grandads, as well?

Always thought it's much easier to get over 50% with more than one party.   people are fickle, herding half a population to one party is a tough ask.  Introduction of three with different attributes to attract voters.  Also is more difficult for the unionists and press to counter. 

Even if they don't win a seat, Alba may have thrown a grenade in that's increased the pro-independence vote overall.  Every possibility Alba will win a seat on 3% too.

my gut still tells me the snp will fall short of a majority and need greens/one alba(?) to help.  But the key to me is the overall pro-independence vote.

However, the media may spin this as an SNP failure.

26 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Well that was a very funny and curious little incident. Those T-shirts can only have been removed a few minutes before aaid posted that 'he could not find them'. That was lucky. :lol:

Just remember aaid, the cover-up is always worse than the crime.

T-Shirtgate. The truth is out there.

Sold out.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They do sell though and, let's face it, it's all about making some money. All political parties need money. I don't know who pays £18 for a T-shirt though. Any T-shirt that is, never mind that one. Probably somebody buying it as a joke for a Tory loving grandad? There might be a bigger market now for ALBA loving grandads, as well?

If Stuart Campbell is right they are gonna have to flog 33,333 of them T Shirts to plug the gap. We are gonna need a lot of  grandads 😊

As I recall the poll that had Alba at 6% indicated that the Alba party was Salmond'sparty (this was a matter of days after its formation). So it would not be surprising if by the end of the campaign, there would be a similar level of recognition by then and so 6% could still be possible. With regional variations, not hard to imagine Alba polling high enough in a few regions to pick up a few seats. Overall, a lot will depend on actual turnout (in a pandemic) and if Alba supporters also vote SNP1.

8 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Always thought it's much easier to get over 50% with more than one party.   people are fickle, herding half a population to one party is a tough ask.  Introduction of three with different attributes to attract voters.  Also is more difficult for the unionists and press to counter. 

Even if they don't win a seat, Alba may have thrown a grenade in that's increased the pro-independence vote overall.  Every possibility Alba will win a seat on 3% too.

my gut still tells me the snp will fall short of a majority and need greens/one alba(?) to help.  But the key to me is the overall pro-independence vote.

However, the media may spin this as an SNP failure.

Oh yes you can bet your bottom dollar they will and Tories will too. They do it at every election trying to manipulate figures into a pro-union look.

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

If Stuart Campbell is right they are gonna have to flog 33,333 of them T Shirts to plug the gap. We are gonna need a lot of  grandads 😊

:lol:

There are a lot more grandads out there than some folk think. And most folk of that age have a fairly sharp message to any pollsters asking them how they are going to vote. Don't believe the polls folks. They are a pile o' shyte.