Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Given the choice between the Greens of Alba, I don’t understand why people are going with the greens, especially if independence is your main priority. 

You'll need to explain that one to me. They're pro independence and currently 3 times more popular than ALBA in the polls. 

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Thats a horrible situation to be in, the greens with even more influence 

I'm independence at any cost right now! 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thplinth's typical reaction whenever he's respectfully challenged by other posters about his (borderline spam posting) increasingly paranoid, conspiracy supporting, right wing views ..... T

You think you're becoming more pragmatic, can see both sides, with age and then an individual turns your country into a colony.  And I use that word advisedly. Don't even need to defend their pos

You might think Denise and the #iamthestorm crowd are exaggerating, but just look at the evidence. Over here in Ireland we've had gender recognition certificates for years now. As a result, Irela

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

You'll need to explain that one to me. They're pro independence and currently 3 times more popular than ALBA in the polls. 

The fact the are more popular would be the only reason to vote for them but personally I’d risk giving Alba my vote because independence is their main priority, while it’s not for the Greens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The fact the are more popular would be the only reason to vote for them but personally I’d risk giving Alba my vote because independence is their main priority, while it’s not for the Greens.

A 'trust' issue perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

 

Ffs we all criticise the SNP bad  crap from the Unionists stories and now she's doing exactly the same with ALBA. She should wish them luck and shut up. 

Edited by Och Aye
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thplinth said:

 

Instead of saying it is cheating she should have said the voting set up was deemed perfectly acceptable when it was being used as a way to oust SNP candidates in previous elections. 

Did AS and Angus Robertson not lose their seats due to unionist tactical voting , I cant remember , but pretty sure they did ? I cant really see the difference tbh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, exile said:

Blog post deleted after UK Government adviser admits Scotland can thrive after indy

'A BLOG post from a UK Government adviser, arguing there are “no reasons” to believe an independence Scotland wouldn’t be economically successful, has been deleted after The National ran a story on it.'

The article is behind a paywall but you can view the comments and the report has been posted in there by ‘Oliver Drake’. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

This idea only one designated party (by who?) can trigger an indyref doesn't make democratic sense to me.

I think as long as any indy-supporting party makes it crystal clear when they put their case to the public that a vote for them is a vote for another indyref, then no one can reasonably argue that the people who voted for them didn't know what they were voting for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Given the choice between the Greens of Alba, I don’t understand why people are going with the greens, especially if independence is your main priority. 

Independence is only a high priority for me so i'll probably vote Green. What's the thing you're not understanding? I can give you my subjective opinion on why i'm picking them over Alba.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, phart said:

Independence is only a high priority for me so i'll probably vote Green. What's the thing you're not understanding? I can give you my subjective opinion on why i'm picking them over Alba.

It was more a question to people who vote greens to get pro Indy candidates, rather than voting green for ideological reasons. Although as someone correctly pointed out, the greens might get more votes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It was more a question to people who vote greens to get pro Indy candidates, rather than voting green for ideological reasons. Although as someone correctly pointed out, the greens might get more votes. 

Ah fair enough. I voted green last time cause of a candidate who i felt would be a good addition to parliament.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I wish Andy Wightman was standing on the list in the NE.

I'm not sure he would get elected in NE region. Much better chance where he choose to stand in Highland. It would be great if we had more politicians like him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I wish Andy Wightman was standing on the list in the NE.

Yeah I voted for him last time, but can't this time as moved lists.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure he would get elected in NE region. Much better chance where he choose to stand in Highland. It would be great if we had more politicians like him.

Yeah, all this talk of parties is regressive to me, shouldn't really have parties in my opinion. You end up with split loyalties right off the bat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure he would get elected in NE region. Much better chance where he choose to stand in Highland. It would be great if we had more politicians like him.

True - It would just be a lot easier to put the cross in the box!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have lost count of how many times i have had to answer, “so who you voting for, Alec or Nicola” 🙈 the general public have no idea how the system works 

That one is easy to answer though. You are voting for both of them. Then when you get a strange look you can explain what you mean. The level of ignorance is very high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That one is easy to answer though. You are voting for both of them. Then when you get a strange look you can explain what you mean. The level of ignorance is very high.

A poll on a local facebook site, the question is who are you voting for at the next election.

1.snp

2.Tories

3. Alba

you can only vote for one haha, i say easy 75% of the electorate don’t understand how it works

Link to post
Share on other sites

If that poll holds , then my second vote will go Green - they only just got enough in the last elections to get 1 MSP - (Patrick Harvie). If Alba take only 2 or 3 % presumably mainly from the Green's then that's the worst possible scenario.

I need to see Alba getting a big chunk of SNP "wasted" second votes - 10% or more to make it work I think.

http://ballotbox.scot/scottish-parliament/2016-elections/glasgow-sp16

Edited by Lobey
found better link for results
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lobey said:

If that poll holds , then my second vote will go Green - they only just got enough in the last elections to get 1 MSP - (Patrick Harvie). If Alba take only 2 or 3 % presumably mainly from the Green's then that's the worst possible scenario.

I need to see Alba getting a big chunk of SNP "wasted" second votes - 10% or more to make it work I think.

http://ballotbox.scot/scottish-parliament/2016-elections/glasgow-sp16

Thanks to @AlfieMoon for also posting the ballotbox.scot link earlier.   What I got from it was that Greens JUST won a fair number of list seats in several regions, so need their vote to hold up or Alba are wasting their time (assuming Alba's stated aim is true).

If you want independence and green policies, don't change.   If you want a 'supermajority', don't dilute that,  but vote Alba if you think your SNP list vote last time was wasted.

Just my take...

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

If you want independence and green policies, don't change.   If you want a 'supermajority', don't dilute that,  but vote Alba if you think your SNP list vote last time was wasted.

Yep, pretty much where I came out Grim Jim.

Plenty room for both on the regional list!

Let the supermajority party begin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, TDYER63 said:

FWIW ,  I am not of the mindset that AS is doing this for vengeance as I truly believe he has independence at heart, but I do think he has a large ego and I honestly dont think he is as popular as his supporters think he is.  
 

Mr Salmond is a deeply divisive figure who vastly overestimates his popularity. Ms Sturgeon is much more popular amongst the general population than Mr Salmond ever was. The court cases and enquiries have merely strengthened this position amongst the majority of the population. Getting support from the likes of Nigel Farage is not exactly going to help Mr Salmond either.

Recent polls have shown Mr Salmond to be as unpopular as Boris Johnson, and I don't think any sane person would seriously argue that Mr Johnson would get much of a vote share in Scotland.

An SNP majority is the only serious and realistic way to force a second referendum.

There is zero chance of an existing unionist party voter switching their list vote to Alba. Therefore any votes for Alba will inevitably come from either SNP or Green voters.

The low polling for for Alba, despite a flurry of publicity, shows that a vote for them is a wasted vote. If the low polling for Alba continues, pro-independence voters would be better served using their list vote for the SNP or Greens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tartandon said:

Mr Salmond is a deeply divisive figure who vastly overestimates his popularity. Ms Sturgeon is much more popular amongst the general population than Mr Salmond ever was. The court cases and enquiries have merely strengthened this position amongst the majority of the population. Getting support from the likes of Nigel Farage is not exactly going to help Mr Salmond either.

Recent polls have shown Mr Salmond to be as unpopular as Boris Johnson, and I don't think any sane person would seriously argue that Mr Johnson would get much of a vote share in Scotland.

An SNP majority is the only serious and realistic way to force a second referendum.

There is zero chance of an existing unionist party voter switching their list vote to Alba. Therefore any votes for Alba will inevitably come from either SNP or Green voters.

The low polling for for Alba, despite a flurry of publicity, shows that a vote for them is a wasted vote. If the low polling for Alba continues, pro-independence voters would be better served using their list vote for the SNP or Greens.

Who ran the country better, salmond or sturgeon, that would be an interesting poll as i dont think there is no doubt who ran it better, 

i know many ex snp, tory voters who will vote alba

Edited by hampden_loon2878
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...