• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thplinth's typical reaction whenever he's respectfully challenged by other posters about his (borderline spam posting) increasingly paranoid, conspiracy supporting, right wing views ..... T

You think you're becoming more pragmatic, can see both sides, with age and then an individual turns your country into a colony.  And I use that word advisedly. Don't even need to defend their pos

You might think Denise and the #iamthestorm crowd are exaggerating, but just look at the evidence. Over here in Ireland we've had gender recognition certificates for years now. As a result, Irela

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

What happened to that girl is a bloody tragedy.  The British public are allowed to be appalled by it and want action without the ever-smart race/class angle being brought into it.  

Of course they have the right to be appalled it is shocking. I would just have hoped this would have equally appalled people but it didn't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53198702

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I dont care what anyone says, we should be doing everything within our power to get him back into frontline politics for the snp, he is the one who stands out for me as someone who has everything tp be a snp leader 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Hamilton_(politician)

https://youtu.be/KxS3RjilBzg

He was very highly rated in the party at one point and watching this you can see why.

I agree, he has the potential to be leader - if he fancies getting back into politics.

In other news, the UK government apparently has plans to move 500 Cabinet Office jobs from London to Glasgow.

Ignoring for a minute that successive UK governments have made various promises over the decades to move civil service jobs from London to "the provinces", sometimes following through on then, often not (the site of what is now the St Enoch centre in Glasgow was once apparently earmarked to be turned into a huge office complex for civil servants), does the Cabinet Office actually even have 500 staff?  I must admit, I don't have a great idea about what they actually do but I imagine, going by their name, it's something to do with supporting the UK cabinet - who are based hundreds miles away in London.

And the band played believe it if you like...

57 minutes ago, scotlad said:

In other news, the UK government apparently has plans to move 500 Cabinet Office jobs from London to Glasgow.

Ignoring for a minute that successive UK governments have made various promises over the decades to move civil service jobs from London to "the provinces", sometimes following through on then, often not (the site of what is now the St Enoch centre in Glasgow was once apparently earmarked to be turned into a huge office complex for civil servants), does the Cabinet Office actually even have 500 staff?  I must admit, I don't have a great idea about what they actually do but I imagine, going by their name, it's something to do with supporting the UK cabinet - who are based hundreds miles away in London.

I actually know someone who was a senior civil servant in the Cabinet Office under both Blair and Brown.

They get involved in loads of things.  I think they have a lot of oversight functions on different departments.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

According to the bbc, the department consists of 8,500 staff! They also point out that Scotland has other civil service jobs from the DFID based at East Kilbride.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56380128

500 jobs is the usual crumbs from the table. The real question is how many other jobs are getting paid for down there out of our taxes and how proportional any geographical sharing of these jobs is. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

https://youtu.be/KxS3RjilBzg

He was very highly rated in the party at one point and watching this you can see why.

I agree, he has the potential to be leader - if he fancies getting back into politics.

he would be a breath of fresh air the party needs, there would be no dodgy legislation pushed through due to his knowledge of the law,,,, 

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

he would be a breath of fresh air the party needs, there would be no dodgy legislation pushed through due to his knowledge of the law,,,, 

I'd seen that Glasgow Uni video years ago, and had forgotten how good he was in that debate.

Even if he did want to get back into politics, surely his complete lack of experience in government would mean he's not yet viable for the top job?

As for your point re dodgy legislation.... erm, Sturgeon is a lawyer too?

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I'd seen that Glasgow Uni video years ago, and had forgotten how good he was in that debate.

Even if he did want to get back into politics, surely his complete lack of experience in government would mean he's not yet viable for the top job?

As for your point re dodgy legislation.... erm, Sturgeon is a lawyer too?

Yes indeed she was however she never practiced that much to gain experience or tbh a reputation as a top lawyer, Hamilton does. He left politics to have experience in the real world which politicians should have, that suggests to me that the door was left wide open for a return to politics at some point.. 

it maybe would be to big a jump to go straight in to high position within the party however indont think it would take him any time to climb the ranks 

Edited by hampden_loon2878
2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

craig murray standing for AFI in mays elections, with more to follow i am hearing

We’re 2 months away from the election. 

I’ve never even heard of AFI and I’m interested in politics. That should give an indication of how successful they will be. 

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

craig murray standing for AFI in mays elections, with more to follow i am hearing

I guess since they passed legislation to give prisoners the vote then he'll at least be able to vote for himself.   I'm not sure how much "holding to account" he'll be able to do.  Do they have wifi in Saughton?

52 minutes ago, aaid said:

I guess since they passed legislation to give prisoners the vote then he'll at least be able to vote for himself.   I'm not sure how much "holding to account" he'll be able to do.  Do they have wifi in Saughton?

Bit of a cunty thing to say when he’s still an innocent man no? 

37 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Bit of a cunty thing to say when he’s still an innocent man no? 

Not really.  Still waiting for the verdict in his contempt trial.  I'll be amazed if 1. he isn't found guilty and 2. he doesn't go to jail.   

The guy who got six months pled guilty and has a smaller audience although he did directly name five of the complainers and then subsequently deleted the tweets.  

For Murray it's jigsaw ID but easily provable, he pled not guilty, his reach is further, he hasn't removed or edited any of the articles in question and he was warned about one of the articles in advance of the trial and continued to "reoffend".

Maximum sentence for this offence is 2 years.

13 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

According to the bbc, the department consists of 8,500 staff! They also point out that Scotland has other civil service jobs from the DFID based at East Kilbride.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56380128

500 jobs is the usual crumbs from the table. The real question is how many other jobs are getting paid for down there out of our taxes and how proportional any geographical sharing of these jobs is. 

Genuinely surprised to see they've as many people working for them as that, but fair enough. 

Quite a few WM government departments have offices outside London but it tends to unglamorous, operations based stuff they send "up north", where accommodation is cheaper and the cost of living lower. 

The UK civil service will never leave London though. You just need to take a quick look on the Civil Service jobs site to see the amount of vacancies down there compared to everywhere else.  I actually know someone who works for DFID in East Kilbride and she says she loves her job - because she gets to travel to London a lot!  

27 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not really.  Still waiting for the verdict in his contempt trial.  I'll be amazed if 1. he isn't found guilty and 2. he doesn't go to jail.   

The guy who got six months pled guilty and has a smaller audience although he did directly name five of the complainers and then subsequently deleted the tweets.  

For Murray it's jigsaw ID but easily provable, he pled not guilty, his reach is further, he hasn't removed or edited any of the articles in question and he was warned about one of the articles in advance of the trial and continued to "reoffend".

Maximum sentence for this offence is 2 years.

Rightly or wrongly, he must be skating on thin ice.  His 'Yes Minister' spoof blog post (I assume that's what got him in trouble in the first place) jigsaw IDs two of the complainants quite obviously.

Edited by scotlad
13 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

From that clip alone it's clear he'd be head and shoulders above some of the doolies kicking kicking around Holyrood at the moment.

If memory serves he upset some of the SNP's upper echelons of the time and ended up effectively being deselected as an MSP (he was elected on the list but at the following election he was placed somewhere like forth or fifth choice, meaning he had virtually no chance of being re-elected).

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

We’re 2 months away from the election. 

I’ve never even heard of AFI and I’m interested in politics. That should give an indication of how successful they will be. 

The one thing Indy supporters have is our one united goal,  and a vehicle to take us there. Unionists are split between Tories and Labour.  Yet in truly scottish style we may still manage to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. 

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Rightly or wrongly, he must be skating on thin ice.  His 'Yes Minister' spoof blog post (I assume that's what got him in trouble in the first place) jigsaw IDs two of the complainants quite obviously.

That's one of them and the one he was warned about in advance of the Salmond trial.  He then published at least one other - that I'm aware of - which also pretty much IDs one of the complainers.  That was what led to him being removed from the court for the remainder of the trial.  His defence - at least what was in his sworn affidavit - seemed to focus more on proving the plot against Salmond than anything.

It has been nearly two months since he was in the High Court.   Contempt is an offence against the court itself, so it is handled more like a civil case, it's heard in front of a judge, usually the judge who made the order and so who the "contempt" was against and the decision doesn't have to be made at the conclusion of the trial, the judge will hear the evidence and then consider their verdict.  The sanctions - can be - criminal in that it has a custodial sentence attached.

I wouldn't read anything into the time its taking to come to a judgement though.  I did see a comment from some legal type on Twitter - possibly Peat Warrior - that there is very little case law in the area of Jigsaw ID as it's so rare.  Publications have historically steered clear of getting anywhere close to being in these situations. That might explain the delay.

I guess this is probably the first high profile case where any numpty with a mobile phone can have the potential to reach the entire planet.

18 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I dont care what anyone says, we should be doing everything within our power to get him back into frontline politics for the snp, he is the one who stands out for me as someone who has everything tp be a snp leader 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Hamilton_(politician)

He reminds me of Alex Salmond so I can see why you like him. He is a great orator but is a tad arrogant. Arrogance is seen as a strength when you are in agreement with the person but can be a turn off if not. 
That said , I agree that we need more people of his calibre . 
I would be surprised if he wanted to be anywhere near the SNP though after defending AS. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would be surprised if he wanted to be anywhere near the SNP though after defending AS. 

That can work in reverse as well.

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes, but can you see him wanting to leave a successful career in law for all the shit in politics ? 

Not in a million years, it seems like Fantasy FM to me.

Anyway, need to see how things play out over the next three months, with the results of the various inquiries and the election but honestly its hard to see any way back into the SNP for Salmond - those bridges have been burned - and similarly anyone closely associated with him.  Whether they move onto an alternative party or fade into the background is anyone's guess.

There's a lot more to adminstration than oratory and rhetoric skills.

Lot's of the most effective scientists are terrible communicators but produce the greatest scientific work.

The guy is obviously highly intelligent though so i'm sure he would be a great administrator , i'm just not sure a debate years ago is the correct metric to measure that ability.