1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

there is no doubt Alex Salmond was stitched up (chuck mud and hope something sticks).

however : can someone explain to me....

Q1) what is the motivation of Jackie Baille (et al) to skewer Leslie Evans. Do opposition simply want Sturgeon to resign? Or are they driven by a sense of natural justice.

They know how popular Sturgeon is with the public.  They also know there's no ready made replacement in a position to take over in the short term.

It's just a straight forwards attempt at a political assassination, no more more less.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You think you're becoming more pragmatic, can see both sides, with age and then an individual turns your country into a colony.  And I use that word advisedly. Don't even need to defend their pos

I wont find it funny in any way, never mind hilarious. There is no way Scotland will win independance without the SNP in power. Unless you mean post independence,  but I doubt you mean that as that wo

Thplinth's typical reaction whenever he's respectfully challenged by other posters about his (borderline spam posting) increasingly paranoid, conspiracy supporting, right wing views ..... T

Posted Images

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Prediction: Stuart Campbell will end up leading some stupid, pathetic Scottish version of the "Proud Boys" movement in a couple of years time. 

Clearly you just don't like him but his forensic dissection of what's going on is generally pretty accurate.  I know he doesn't like Nicola Sturgeon as he thinks she's a proven liar and he strongly dislikes her support for the GRA nonsense, but as a news source he's far better than the mainstream media as far as Scottish politics are concerned.  He is demonised because unionists fear him, to the point that many on the yes side now have no time for him.  A right wing neofascist he is not.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Alibi said:

Clearly you just don't like him but his forensic dissection of what's going on is generally pretty accurate.  I know he doesn't like Nicola Sturgeon as he thinks she's a proven liar and he strongly dislikes her support for the GRA nonsense, but as a news source he's far better than the mainstream media as far as Scottish politics are concerned.  He is demonised because unionists fear him, to the point that many on the yes side now have no time for him.  A right wing neofascist he is not.

First point, up until a couple of years ago, that used to be the case, since then he's just as partial and dissembling as the titles he used to so forensically dissect.

Second point, used to fear him, now they are amongst his strongest advocates.

Third point, completely agree, any suggestion that's the case is ridiculous.

I have always held the SNP as the most honest of the parties, something i used to be able to champion confidently. My confidence in this has taken a hit this past while although i still have a confidence they are the best of the rest.. mr campbell is someone i have never paid close attention to, on occasion i have read his articles if they appeared on my page but if he hold politicians to account then i am all for it

If you read the tweets coming from Stuart Campbell it is clear what his motivation is and he is living in a dream world.

In tweets in the last few hours he states that Salmond isn't finished as a political force. He therefore is using this situation to remove Sturgeon and get Salmond back into power - a coup in other words.

Salmond is finished as a political figure who can be taken seriously. Mud sticks and one who admits acting inappropriately to the opposite sex is hardly one to garner support from the female population going forward.

39 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I'm assuming forensic isn't being used as it's dictionary definition? Cause his emotional reaction to a few subjects are anything but forensic, specifically Hillsborough and his penchant for getting into abusive exchanges on comment sections of forums doesn't really lend itself to that interpetation.

I'm sure he said some very accurate things of "going-ons" he has also got some things spectacularly wrong, as we all do!

He's managed to polarise the SNP membership and get them fighting each other though, hence why he is cheered by unionists now.

His personality trait of intolerance doesn't make him a right win neo-fascist though.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, phart said:

I'm assuming forensic isn't being used as it's dictionary definition? Cause his emotional reaction to a few subjects are anything but forensic, specifically Hillsborough and his penchant for getting into abusive exchanges on comment sections of forums doesn't really lend itself to that interpetation.

Be careful what you say there, he's very touchy about that and last week set the lawyers onto James Kelly as a commenter on his blog had brought up his alleged views on Hillsborough - which tbf, have been widely misrepresented.

Again tbf.  Certianly in the referendum campaign he was excellent at debunking most of the Unionist smear and scare stories and in educating people on how to spot this.  Forensic was an accurate description of this work.

As I and others have said, for the last two years he's done a complete 180 and his current writing more resembles that which he used to dissect.   The irony is, if you paid attention to what he was saying in 2014 about the "how" and didn't focus on the what - its pretty easy to spot it.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Be careful what you say there, he's very touchy about that and last week set the lawyers onto James Kelly as a commenter on his blog had brought up his alleged views on Hillsborough - which tbf, have been widely misrepresented.

Again tbf.  Certianly in the referendum campaign he was excellent at debunking most of the Unionist smear and scare stories and in educating people on how to spot this.  Forensic was an accurate description of this work.

As I and others have said, for the last two years he's done a complete 180 and his current writing more resembles that which he used to dissect.   The irony is, if you paid attention to what he was saying in 2014 about the "how" and didn't focus on the what - its pretty easy to spot it.

I'm just talking about when he argued with the sister of one of the victims on twitter. Or his Mctazesque suggestion that the Liverpool fans being pushed should have stopped it by shouting "STOP PUSHING YOU STUPID FUCKING PRICK" or You kick them with your heels."

5 minutes ago, phart said:

I'm just talking about when he argued with the sister of one of the victims on twitter. Or his Mctazesque suggestion that the Liverpool fans being pushed should have stopped it by shouting "STOP PUSHING YOU STUPID FUCKING PRICK" or You kick them with your heels."

I know, the misrepresentation was people suggesting he was saying Liverpool fans deserved it or were 100% responsible or it was ll their fault - and those are the things he's taken - and won - legal action on.

Mind you, being an Aberdeen fan, I doubt he's ever been in a crowd surge that big to know how difficult that is to control from the front.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I know, the misrepresentation was people suggesting he was saying Liverpool fans deserved it or were 100% responsible or it was ll their fault - and those are the things he's taken - and won - legal action on.

Mind you, being an Aberdeen fan, I doubt he's ever been in a crowd surge that big to know how difficult that is to control from the front.

It's not stopped severval online encyclopedias from still carrying this line "In 2012 Campbell said Liverpool fans alone were to blame for the Hillsborough disaster"

6 minutes ago, phart said:

It's not stopped severval online encyclopedias from still carrying this line "In 2012 Campbell said Liverpool fans alone were to blame for the Hillsborough disaster"

This whole spat last week was an embarrassing case of handbags, in this context, this is telling - this section of the article is from Stuart Campbell's lawyer.

This section repeats more or less exactly a false allegation made some time ago by Ewan McColm (sic) in a Scotsman article. It is entirely untrue that Stuart has ever said, or believes, that the victims at Hillsborough were to blame for their deaths. That would clearly be an absurd proposition. Claiming that someone believes it is equally absurd. It is also defamatory. What Stuart believes is that other Liverpool fans were among those responsible for the tragedy. When the McColm article was written, I raised defamation proceedings on behalf of Stuart against the Scotsman and we were, fairly swiftly, able to negotiate a five figure settlement with them. Having been forced to go to that trouble Stuart is not going to let others repeat the absurd, defamatory falsehood with impunity.

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2021/01/a-small-cowardly-man-pursuing-bitter.html

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

This whole spat last week was an embarrassing case of handbags, in this context, this is telling - this section of the article is from Stuart Campbell's lawyer.

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2021/01/a-small-cowardly-man-pursuing-bitter.html

Wow lawyers write like that in real life? The whole letter is an exercise in vaccous verbosity.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If you read the tweets coming from Stuart Campbell it is clear what his motivation is and he is living in a dream world.

In tweets in the last few hours he states that Salmond isn't finished as a political force. He therefore is using this situation to remove Sturgeon and get Salmond back into power - a coup in other words.

Salmond is finished as a political figure who can be taken seriously. Mud sticks and one who admits acting inappropriately to the opposite sex is hardly one to garner support from the female population going forward.

I have only recently joined twitter so have seem nothing of his through that source, salmond IMO is not finished in politics. He will have one last throw of the dice,,not in the snp though

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Is it even him? 🥸Maybe the establishment have offed him and are using his site to spread dissension in the ranks.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have only recently joined twitter so have seem nothing of his through that source, salmond IMO is not finished in politics. He will have one last throw of the dice,,not in the snp though

Sorry nut he is in terms of a big political force - damaged goods. He has admitted himself to acting inappropriately to woman. And being involved in such a case (even though he was cleared) is a stigma that cannot be erased - just look at Michael Barrymore and John Leslie for proof of that.

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

Gives it the big one making all sorts of allegations then pulls the COVID card when called to appear and back them up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55640108

Do the committee get paid an extra daily allowance? Trying to spin it out as long as they can get away with? :lol:

Why else would they ask him to attend in person? That can't be essential. Why can't he answer questions from his house? They must have known he would turn down that request. From a COVID point of view him travelling to Edinburgh just to answer some questions would be almost as daft as Celtic going to Dubai on a jolly.

Edited by Orraloon
4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That can't be essential. Why can't he answer questions from his house? They must have known he would turn down that request. From a COVID point of view him travelling to Edinburgh just to answer some questions would be almost as daft as Celtic going to Dubai on a jolly.

Yes I would agree with that. Seems odd questions can't be done via video link.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do the committee get paid an extra daily allowance? Trying to spin it out as long as they can get away with? :lol:

Why else would they ask him to attend in person? That can't be essential. Why can't he answer questions from his house? They must have known he would turn down that request. From a COVID point of view him travelling to Edinburgh just to answer some questions would be almost as daft as Celtic going to Dubai on a jolly.

The session yesterday was held remotely and it was a bit of a mess as various people had technical problems, garbled lines and the like.   I suspect Salmond may be keen to delay his evidence until after the FM so as to give him the last word so to speak.  I can't see the committee wanting to take the FM until everyone else has given evidence though.

On a serious matter, the committee does have to get a shift on if they are able to publish their report before the election, which I suspect all parties would want to happen.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

The session yesterday was held remotely and it was a bit of a mess as various people had technical problems, garbled lines and the like.   I suspect Salmond may be keen to delay his evidence until after the FM so as to give him the last word so to speak.  I can't see the committee wanting to take the FM until everyone else has given evidence though.

On a serious matter, the committee does have to get a shift on if they are able to publish their report before the election, which I suspect all parties would want to happen.

I'm pretty sure we all know the obvious answer to that. Sort out the IT problems. Have they never heard of Zoom? :lol: