1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes it is disappointing.

However, for me, my political ambition is independence. At present it is the SNP mainly driving the independence bus politically but Scottish independence supporters - should independence one day become a reality will take their votes quickly elsewhere so the SNP would do well to take that on board in the here and now.

Again it opens up that question of another independence supporting party coming to town. What would it do to the goal of independence for Scotland? Help it or hinder it or set the possibility back a few year?

My main aim is independence too Craig. I am a member of the SNP mainly to highlight the strength for independence, but I have also genuinely felt they are a party that is trying to offer a fairer form of government. And I hold Nicola Sturgeon in high regard. But things like this really make me question my membership. There is a line I draw. 
I would like someone to explain why this is not a manoeuvre  to help Angus Robertson, or even to explain to me why this is perhaps a necessary evil for long term gain, ie perhaps why it is in the country's best interest to have Robertson  
in Holyrood and not Cherry. This would still be unpalatable to me but would perhaps let me see a potential long game being played for the benefit of the country.  

Joanna Cherry is far too good a politician to mess around. IMO The SNP would be seriously wounded if she were to walk. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

My main aim is independence too Craig. I am a member of the SNP mainly to highlight the strength for independence, but I have also genuinely felt they are a party that is trying to offer a fairer form of government. And I hold Nicola Sturgeon in high regard. But things like this really make me question my membership. There is a line I draw. 
I would like someone to explain why this is not a manoeuvre  to help Angus Robertson, or even to explain to me why this is perhaps a necessary evil for long term gain, ie perhaps why it is in the country's best interest to have Robertson  
in Holyrood and not Cherry. This would still be unpalatable to me but would perhaps let me see a potential long game being played for the benefit of the country.  

Joanna Cherry is far too good a politician to mess around. IMO The SNP would be seriously wounded if she were to walk. 

I cannot disagree with any of that. I, too am a SNP member to highlight my support for Scottish independence.

The whole matter needs clarification and fast or else it could prove very damaging to the party and provide ammunition for unionist parties and unionist supporters to use to their benefit.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I cannot disagree with any of that. I, too am a SNP member to highlight my support for Scottish independence.

The whole matter needs clarification and fast or else it could prove very damaging to the party and provide ammunition for unionist parties and unionist supporters to use to their benefit.

👍

55 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The Kevin McKenna piece without paywall. 

28C17D8E-3889-43CC-B044-BCF5F39B6459.jpeg.8cd67c56432492f25c2ca12df527afe4.jpeg

I'm no fan of James Dornan in general and I don't have a problem with all-women short lists in principle but the decision to impose one in Cathcart is even murkier than the one affecting Edinburgh Central.  Not least because the likely beneficiary is someone who sits on the NEC herself and who is a very divisive figure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes it is disappointing.

However, for me, my political ambition is independence. At present it is the SNP mainly driving the independence bus politically but Scottish independence supporters - should independence one day become a reality will take their votes quickly elsewhere so the SNP would do well to take that on board in the here and now.

Again it opens up that question of another independence supporting party coming to town. What would it do to the goal of independence for Scotland? Help it or hinder it or set the possibility back a few year?

Or as Niccolò Machiavelli put it "the ends justify the means". Where everyone stands on that is up to them.

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm no fan of James Dornan in general and I don't have a problem with all-women short lists in principle but the decision to impose one in Cathcart is even murkier than the one affecting Edinburgh Central.  Not least because the likely beneficiary is someone who sits on the NEC herself and who is a very divisive figure.

Its really not good.
I only usually only get involved in the local branch around election times but I think I am going to question this. Probably get a generic response but will see. If enough people voice their objection it may penetrate. 
This was the full article I cut a bit off by mistake.

7CD452FB-4501-489D-A7F7-34E8A1DAD6B8.jpeg.371a3302210cfad50a88f7e5ecc84b71.jpeg

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its really not good.
I only usually only get involved in the local branch around election times but I think I am going to question this. Probably get a generic response but will see. If enough people voice their objection it may penetrate. 

Dornan is fighting it and seems pretty bullish about his chances of overturning it.

Can't quite see how they - the NEC - can justify imposing an all-woman shortlist against an incumbent male MSP on the grounds of gender neutrality while at the same time making a decision which effectively rules out a woman from standing against a man in another constituency - one in which the incumbent MSP - who is standing down, and from another party - is female.   If they were really interested increasing the number of women in Holyrood, then I'd have thought Edinburgh Central would've been a prime candidate for an all women shortlist.

Then again, that would mean that it would be difficult for the NEC and their pals to get elected to Holyrood.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Dornan is fighting it and seems pretty bullish about his chances of overturning it.

Can't quite see how they - the NEC - can justify imposing an all-woman shortlist against an incumbent male MSP on the grounds of gender neutrality while at the same time making a decision which effectively rules out a woman from standing against a man in another constituency - one in which the incumbent MSP - who is standing down, and from another party - is female.   If they were really interested increasing the number of women in Holyrood, then I'd have thought Edinburgh Central would've been a prime candidate for an all women shortlist.

Then again, that would mean that it would be difficult for the NEC and their pals to get elected to Holyrood.

Absolutely. 

Well, that’s my letter of complaint all but written for me  . Thanks aaid 👍🙂

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, aaid said:

He could be a bit silly at times, mainly on social media, but I do feel for James Dornan here.  Seemingly he had announced that he wasn't going to stand for election again, but he then changed his mind.  In the intervening period the party claims it decided to impose an all-female shortlist on his constituency, but Dornan insists that he informed them of his change of heart in ample time.

If the SNP wanted to impose an all-female shortlist in any constituency then surely, as you say, Edinburgh Central looks like the ideal choice - there is no incumbent SNP MSP and the sitting female MSP is standing down at the next election.

Why wouldn't you want to give someone of Joanna Cherry's intellect and ability the chance to be elected to Holyrood, and, most probably, into government?  Unless, of course, you see her as some kind of threat...

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

And aided at Holyrood  by his scantily clad assistant  Ruth Davidson in her ermine robe , until he stands in the Scottish Elections.

So , Boris is up here a week ago and suddenly Carlaw is gone. 
Meanwhile Davidson and Johnsons fookin brother are in the House of Lords.

Anyone who votes to stay in this union deserves everything they get.  

Not that I care much about her, but that's a bit of a slap in the face for Annie Wells, who'll presumably act as interim leader until a new leader is elected (or until Douglas Ross can be shoehorned in, more like).

Undoubtedly this is being orchestrated by Downing Street. In the course of time I expect Davidson to be made new SofS for Scotland and Ross to be installed as the new Scottish Conservatives leader (there are already rumours that he'll stand unopposed), with the brief of "selling" the union to Scotland. 

Something felt "off" about Ross's resignation a few months ago, and it's now starting to look like an attempt to distance himself from the unpopular Tory government in Westminster.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Surely Dornan just needs to self ID as a woman to get back in the mix?  It'd be a good test of their idiotic policy.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Surely Dornan just needs to self ID as a woman to get back in the mix?  It'd be a good test of their idiotic policy.

I did see someone suggest that to him on Twitter earlier.

31 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Pains me to say this but it will be kinda hilarious when the SNP lose power in Scotland. 

Why does it pain you to say it, it's pretty obvious that you've no time for the SNP?

21 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Pains me to say this but it will be kinda hilarious when the SNP lose power in Scotland. 

I wont find it funny in any way, never mind hilarious. There is no way Scotland will win independance without the SNP in power. Unless you mean post independence,  but I doubt you mean that as that would not pain you. Wouldnt pain me either tbh.

Soon as the SNP lose power Scotland loses any hope of independence. We can drum up as many  pro independance shoot offs as we want, they will achieve the total sum of heehaw.  
We will never create a party that pleases everyone. We will always get some politicians more concerned with their own self interest. Independence wont bring some sort of equal and kumbaya Nirvana. We will all still bicker about politicians. But I would rather live in a warts and all country that independently chooses its government, rather than part of the UK. 
SNP are the only party that will deliver this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I wont find it funny in any way, never mind hilarious. There is no way Scotland will win independance without the SNP in power. Unless you mean post independence,  but I doubt you mean that as that would not pain you. Wouldnt pain me either tbh.

Soon as the SNP lose power Scotland loses any hope of independence. We can drum up as many  pro independance shoot offs as we want, they will achieve the total sum of heehaw.  
We will never create a party that pleases everyone. We will always get some politicians more concerned with their own self interest. Independence wont bring some sort of equal and kumbaya Nirvana. We will all still bicker about politicians. But I would rather live in a warts and all country that independently chooses its government, rather than part of the UK. 

Post of the day. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Very odd statement. You won't ever find me amused with the Tories in power in Scotland. And, at present, they are the only party who would deprive the SNP of power as Scottish Labour are nowhere at present.

They've done a U-turn on Cathcart, clearly a massive overreach by some and an inability to read the room by others,

Hopefully this will be a wake up for some of the hierarchy. 

Just when you thought the rancid stench emanating from the SNP leadership could not be worse they find a way to add another layer... Rotten to the core. If you don’t clean them out and soon you can forget independence.

And now Marco Biagi - who held the seat from 2011 to 2016 - has thrown his hat into the ring for Edinburgh Central as well.  It'll be interesting to see *exactly* how pissed off with Party HQ, the membership is.

Fair play to Angus Robertson for this, although I suspect his position has been so damaged by this shambles that he couldn't do anything else.   Someone's head needs to roll for this fiasco , probably Angus MacLeod.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Maybe they need to lose power (once) to give them the shock needed to remember that independence is the end goal 

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Very odd statement. You won't ever find me amused with the Tories in power in Scotland. And, at present, they are the only party who would deprive the SNP of power as Scottish Labour are nowhere at present.

Like a tragic comedy only Scotland could produce, similar to when Panucci scored that header in 07, if you didn’t laugh you’d greet

Edited by ParisInAKilt

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe they need to lose power (once) to give them the shock needed to remember that independence is the end goal 

You need to think before posting.

If the SNP lose power in Scotland there will be no chance of IndyRef2 for a long time. If SNP lose power it will be to the unionist Tories. I can just hear it all now along with cliches. Independence has been put back in the box. Scots show they want to remain in the union with their support for the Tories. Need I go on?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You need to think before posting.

If the SNP lose power in Scotland there will be no chance of IndyRef2 for a long time. If SNP lose power it will be to the unionist Tories. I can just hear it all now along with cliches. Independence has been put back in the box. Scots show they want to remain in the union with their support for the Tories. Need I go on?

Well if that happens then who’s to blame? 

Its naive to think the SNP can stay in power forever.