14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Good win for the SNP in Dundee last night. Took a council seat from Labour and re-established control of the council. :ok:

Hang on I thought SNP support was haemorrhaging and that the members were all at war with one another ? Why would the Herald and the Scotsman lie to me ......

Although SNP won the bi-election, there was a huge swing from SNP to Labour. It's a strange one. We shouldn't read too much into a result from a 28% turnout though.

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Good win for the SNP in Dundee last night. Took a council seat from Labour and re-established control of the council. :ok:

Hang on I thought SNP support was haemorrhaging and that the members were all at war with one another ? Why would the Herald and the Scotsman lie to me ......

Although SNP won the bi-election, there was a huge swing from SNP to Labour. It's a strange one. We shouldn't read too much into a result from a 28% turnout though.

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All whilst we will soon be able to play a game of spot the Tory councillor in England.

A bit of wishful thinking there? They may have just lost about 1300 seats but they still have more councillors than Labour and Lib Dems put together. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

A bit of wishful thinking there? They may have just lost about 1300 seats but they still have more councillors than Labour and Lib Dems put together. 

Yes I know that but it is their worst result in local elections for 25 years, polls are suggesting Tories will lose as many as 60 seats in the next GE and yet we have Ruth the Mooth talking about being the next FM. 🤣

Radical plans to hold back tens of millions of pounds from Holyrood and allow UK ministers instead to spend the cash directly north of the Border have been set out by environment secretary Michael Gove, in the Scotsman yesterday.

Holyrood 'could control immigration' after Brexit, says Michael Gove just before the EU referendum. (BBC)

49 minutes ago, exile said:

Radical plans to hold back tens of millions of pounds from Holyrood and allow UK ministers instead to spend the cash directly north of the Border have been set out by environment secretary Michael Gove, in the Scotsman yesterday.

Holyrood 'could control immigration' after Brexit, says Michael Gove just before the EU referendum. (BBC)

This is the sort of stuff that Ruth the Mooth has to be seriously challenged on. Which of course she will have no answers to. Sadly, a compliant, snivelling media up here will never properly hold her to account

Edited by King Of Paisley

On 5/3/2019 at 6:33 PM, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

AUOB march in Glasgow tomorrow. Estimated over 100,000 people expected to attend and not a fuckin mention on the BBC or STV news. Hopefully will show the yoons that there is an appetite for another referendum.

Great turn out today, polis saying 35k AUOB saying 100,000 I'll happily take somewhere in the middle. George square was enjoyable 😁

4 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Great turn out today, polis saying 35k AUOB saying 100,000 I'll happily take somewhere in the middle. George square was enjoyable 😁

But, but, but "Ruth" says that there's no demand for independence.

Are you calling our dear darling "Ruth" a liar !

20 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

But, but, but "Ruth" says that there's no demand for independence.

Are you calling our dear darling "Ruth" a liar !

Ehm let me think......AYE👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, bonzo said:

The police seem to claim ‘30-35k ‘ at every single march. They must just pluck a number out the air , you would think they’d at least try to mix it up a bit 🙄

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The police seem to claim ‘30-35k ‘ at every single march. They must just pluck a number out the air , you would think they’d at least try to mix it up a bit 🙄

Can you find anything that quotes the Police saying a number for yesterday's march? Any number?

I can't.

I can see lots of people saying that that Police have said....

But nothing with a Police quote.

3 minutes ago, Flure said:

Can you find anything that quotes the Police saying a number for yesterday's march? Any number?

I can't.

I can see lots of people saying that that Police have said....

But nothing with a Police quote.

This is as close as a quote but it doesn't actually say   ‘ PC Murdoch of the constabulary says....’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/04/glasgow-march-scottish-independence-under-one-banner

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Not sure if i read it correctly but i think the 35k were at the rally in Glasgow Green not the march itself.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not sure if i read it correctly but i think the 35k were at the rally in Glasgow Green not the march itself.

That's what was said on radio Scotland - "Police estimate that about 35,000 were still at Glasgow Green ". That was on the five o'clock news.

19 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

You are correct, the numbers are based on Glasgow Green not the march itself, apologies. Not sure how many would have drifted away before 5pm, but you would have thought the police could put some sort of enhanced figure on it.  

Nice to see the Express is running with the ‘Scottish Nationalists CLASH with pro union activists’ headline 🙄

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You are correct, the numbers are based on Glasgow Green not the march itself, apologies. Not sure how many would have drifted away before 5pm, but you would have thought the police could put some sort of enhanced figure on it.  

Nice to see the Express is running with the ‘Scottish Nationalists CLASH with pro union activists’ headline 🙄

Clash? En no more like a small group clad in union jack suits with a megaphone gathered to heckle the marchers. Seems clear to me who was looking for the trouble.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Clash? En no more like a small group clad in union jack suits with a megaphone gathered to heckle the marchers. Seems clear to me who was looking for the trouble.

Oh no no no Craig. THOUSANDS of scottish independence activists clashed with pro union campaigners. Apparently. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Oh no no no Craig. THOUSANDS of scottish independence activists clashed with pro union campaigners. Apparently. 

Well actually it doesn't. The report runs with that headline but actually does not contain anything to suggest any violent clashes.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well actually it doesn't. The report runs with that headline but actually does not contain anything to suggest any violent clashes.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I waved at the wee guy with the microphone maybe that counts as a clash 😆

• Haha 1

We left KelvinWay bang on 1.30 pm -  I was quite near the front with my yellow vest on and handing out copies of the national, we got to Glasgow green just after 3.30 - stayed till around 4.15 then went to the Clutha (which was rammed all night) - as I left glasgow Green the road up the Saltmarket and beyond was still rammed with marchers coming in  - was told it would take 2 hours for the tail end to arrive.

I have seen over 100K crowds before (Donnington 88 stands out particulary) and this looked similar - Police keep the numbers low partly as it mean they don't have to turn out in as large numbers themselves - Policing was very light - basically one or two cops on each major junction to stop traffic from Woodlands road onward.

The largest  number of police that I saw was around 20 or so keeping an eye on the Union "supporters" at the corner of George Square opposite Queen st station - they Police outnumbered them as far as I could see - some Tommy Robinson alike in a union jack shirt was giveing a seech on the PA - but nobody could hear him due to the vast numbers of folk going past. Despite the frustration they must've felt though, I will credit them with not doing anything that I saw or heard of as "out of order".  

Considering the violence and Police over-reaction at so many May day rallies throught europe in the last few days, can I say how well behaved everyone was on the day and that I hope this vindicates the  Police forces "light touch" in the circumstances.

Appoligies to anyone stuck in the traffic - especially down by ST Enochs - couldnt have been great for them.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lobey said:

We left KelvinWay bang on 1.30 pm -  I was quite near the front with my yellow vest on and handing out copies of the national, we got to Glasgow green just after 3.30 - stayed till around 4.15 then went to the Clutha (which was rammed all night) - as I left glasgow Green the road up the Saltmarket and beyond was still rammed with marchers coming in  - was told it would take 2 hours for the tail end to arrive.

I have seen over 100K crowds before (Donnington 88 stands out particulary) and this looked similar - Police keep the numbers low partly as it mean they don't have to turn out in as large numbers themselves - Policing was very light - basically one or two cops on each major junction to stop traffic from Woodlands road onward.

The largest  number of police that I saw was around 20 or so keeping an eye on the Union "supporters" at the corner of George Square opposite Queen st station - they Police outnumbered them as far as I could see - some Tommy Robinson alike in a union jack shirt was giveing a seech on the PA - but nobody could hear him due to the vast numbers of folk going past. Despite the frustration they must've felt though, I will credit them with not doing anything that I saw or heard of as "out of order".  

Considering the violence and Police over-reaction at so many May day rallies throught europe in the last few days, can I say how well behaved everyone was on the day and that I hope this vindicates the  Police forces "light touch" in the circumstances.

Appoligies to anyone stuck in the traffic - especially down by ST Enochs - couldnt have been great for them.

Good post. Mirrors my own experience.

Will be interesting to see the numbers (and behaviour) of the counter rally that is being organised by the orange order on May 18th. 

THE organisers of a major anti-independence march have been accused of trying to "disguise" its links to the Orange Order after members were told to leave their colours at home and wave “unmarked” flags.

The Maintain the Union rally and march is expected to bring up to 5000 supporters to Glasgow city centre on May 18.

Despite the Orange Order telling its members “the Grand Master has called for a big show,” the event is promoted as a “family gathering" for all creeds.

It is being organised by the British Together, which describes itself as “the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland’s campaign to keep the United Kingdom together”.

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

I waved at the wee guy with the microphone maybe that counts as a clash 😆

I thought you had perhaps taken along that electronic fly swatter 🙂