1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I may get a bit of greif over this post however i think the snp/yes movement have lost a sense of nationalism, its as if nationalism is some bad thing that should be locked in a room and not be seen. Why not be proud of our little country a big it up to the hills, also it seems that past grievences the union has inflicted onto us are not to be talked about, many of those actions are still being felt to this day. everything is so nicey,nicey with no bite, and before anyone starts no not blood and soil nationalism it just  there just seems to be no grit at all these past few years

I guess spending over a decade trying to run a country where the majority of people disagree with your core policy won't have helped there...

Apparently the Tories whipped particularly aggressively - I'm sure that would appeal to some of their fetishes - last night against the Common Market 2.0 proposal.

The main reason for this was that the PM recognised - correctly - that this, if enacted, would destroy their main argument for any future Scottish Independence referendum, that the only way for Scotland to retain access to the UK market is to stay in.  If the UK is in the Single Market, in an independent Scotland would get access via that route.

That might help to explain the SNP's approach here.  When even your opponent recognises their weakness it would be foolish not to exploit it.

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I may get a bit of greif over this post however i think the snp/yes movement have lost a sense of nationalism, its as if nationalism is some bad thing that should be locked in a room and not be seen. Why not be proud of our little country a big it up to the hills, also it seems that past grievences the union has inflicted onto us are not to be talked about, many of those actions are still being felt to this day. everything is so nicey,nicey with no bite, and before anyone starts no not blood and soil nationalism it just  there just seems to be no grit at all these past few years

Spot on MysticLoon. The SNP are the ‘biege’ of politics 

I’d like to see them adopt a more ‘ go and fuck yourself’ attitude to the unionist element 👍😀 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Would've passed if the SNP hadn't abstained. 

They might need to vote against it next time, if it comes back again.

57 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They might need to vote against it next time, if it comes back again.

They wont as it doesnt tackle the throrny freedom of movement question

The Customs Union 2.0 did

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They wont as it doesnt tackle the throrny freedom of movement question

The Customs Union 2.0 did

Aye, that's one of the reasons that they might need to vote against it instead of just abstaining. They need to try to stop this happening. Not sure there will be another vote on this anyway, though.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I guess spending over a decade trying to run a country where the majority of people disagree with your core policy won't have helped there...

Nor will being labelled a ‘ fascist ‘ or ‘ staunch nationalist’  at every opportunity by people who disagree with it.  

Its a sad fact that for many years being proud to be Scottish was politely  accepted and possibly viewed positively. Soon as there is a hint of a threat to the Union it becomes something quite different.

• Upvote 1

Imagine that there was a union of free nations, but that it then attempted to punish one of its members for wanting to leave it? What might that say about the moral claims of such a union? The big casualty of Brexit is the EU’s claims of moral legitimacy.

9 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

I’d like to see them adopt a more ‘ go and fuck yourself’ attitude to the unionist element 👍😀 

You’re watching too many shoot ‘em up box sets, get yerself back to Call the Midwife. 

9 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

They had that for a long time when they struggled to get upward of half a dozen MPs elected.

Remember that I'd say 35% of the electorate are virtual guaranteed Yes voters no matter how the SNP come across. The SNP are seen as the driving force of the independence bus (rightly are wrongly) but not everyone backing independence are SNP voters. I'd say the SNP have to take the route they are to appeal to non-SNP voters to entice them to vote for independence. The undecided voters are most likely to be put off by eye-bulging, frothing at the mouth politics so the SNP need to tone it down to appeal to a greater number of people. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Imagine that there was a union of free nations, but that it then attempted to punish one of its members for wanting to leave it? What might that say about the moral claims of such a union? The big casualty of Brexit is the EU’s claims of moral legitimacy.

That's a belter. You couldn't make up a better advert for the "moral legitimacy" of an indyref.

And a distinct Scottish flavour to the 400+ replies!

• Upvote 1

What a tit, he is the perfect example of why we NEED to be independent. 

This backs up what I was saying the other day:-

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/polls/general-election

SNP certainly aren't on the dip going by this. Using several recent polls the SNP forecast to win 45 seats at the next election (an extra ten seats). Tories losing 28 seats and there would be a hung parliament if there were another election with Labour having most seats at Westminster but still way short of the needed majority. 

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This backs up what I was saying the other day:-

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/polls/general-election

SNP certainly aren't on the dip going by this. Using several recent polls the SNP forecast to win 45 seats at the next election (an extra ten seats). Tories losing 28 seats and there would be a hung parliament if there were another election with Labour having most seats at Westminster but still way short of the needed majority. 

Thats is based on sub samples, take that with a massive pinch of salt, usually scotlands subsamples are 100-150 people, the last four polls range from 37% to 43% it would be great to see us with that amount of seats again, at the moment we wouldn’t get that amount 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Thats is based on sub samples, take that with a massive pinch of salt, usually scotlands subsamples are 100-150 people, the last four polls range from 37% to 43% it would be great to see us with that amount of seats again, at the moment we wouldn’t get that amount 

We shall see. Subsamples AND multiple polls suggest it and going by the utter and complete horlicks the Tories have made of Brexit then why would Scots throw their votes behind them again exactly? SNP have had no hand in the Brexit debacle - the biggest political issue to hit the UK in decades.

After getting rid of the Salmond, Robertson and Nicholson threats at the last GE the Tories will now bid to oust Joanna Cherry in Edinburgh South West

Ruth the Mooth will be standing against her in the next GE

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

After getting rid of the Salmond, Robertson and Nicholson threats at the last GE the Tories will now bid to oust Joanna Cherry in Edinburgh South West

Ruth the Mooth will be standing against her in the next GE

Interesting. This could be the time Ruth’s mooth finally bites off more than it can chew, or they could obliterate another very big scalp.

Expect the tanks to be binned to make way for photo ops at Edinburgh nurseries whilst telling us all about how being a mother has enriched her life . Mail and Express in overdrive and Royal baby pictures confined to page 11. 

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Interesting. This could be the time Ruth’s mooth finally bites off more than it can chew, or they could obliterate another very big scalp.

Expect the tanks to be binned to make way for photo ops at Edinburgh nurseries whilst telling us all about how being a mother has enriched her life . Mail and Express in overdrive and Royal baby pictures confined to page 11. 

A lot depends on when the next GE is and how great an effect potentially a No Deal Brexit affects us all. If the election is called in the next few months before the Brexit aftershock hits then the Tories may still stand behind their candidate. However, if the election comes later when Brexit is biting then Joanna Cherry will have a very good chance of holding her seat.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A lot depends on when the next GE is and how great an effect potentially a No Deal Brexit affects us all. If the election is called in the next few months before the Brexit aftershock hits then the Tories may still stand behind their candidate. However, if the election comes later when Brexit is biting then Joanna Cherry will have a very good chance of holding her seat.

I hope so, she is without doubt one of the best in the SNP. 

Not usually one for the baseless conspiracy theories but I have a feeling that whatever seat Ruth Davidson goes for, every ounce of jiggery pokery will be used to see she wins. 

51 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Looking at the past voting paterns of the constituency, i would be surprised if the torys could sneak in there, they had a 13% brexit bounce in 2017, with the performance of the tories in delivering brexit they will never hold all those voters, so unless the snp manage to piss off their core voters the seat should hold no bother even though it was only 1000 votes in it in 2017

38 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Not usually one for the baseless conspiracy theories but I have a feeling that whatever seat Ruth Davidson goes for, every ounce of jiggery pokery will be used to see she wins. 

Yep

The dark money coffers will be well and truly raided to fight it