2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

100% agree

But i would imagine Sturgeon knows this as well

However she has to be seen to be "playing the game" "Scotland voted to remain in the UK" etc which annoys the fuck out of rampant yessers (like me) but appeals to soft Nos

That will be why they are supporting the Common Market 2.0 today - it's a gamble but it will most likely fail

When it comes her announcing the Indyref2 date she can stand up and say she tried everything

I think what a lot of people forget about Salmond and Sturgeon is that they have spent their whole adult lives campaigning for Independence - way more than 90% of Yessers

They want it more than any of us and hopefully they are clever enough to know how to win it

There are strategists of presumably the same mindset too and all this wont be lost on them

My money is on it passing....

Keeping the rUK in the CU and SM gives us the best chance of winning indyref2 :ok:

In the last vote 188 voted for it with 283 against

179 abstained

12 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Keeping the rUK in the CU and SM gives us the best chance of winning indyref2 :ok:

They've obtained a commitment that the emergency brake on Freedom of Movement need not apply to Scotland.    Big win.

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

In the last vote 188 voted for it with 283 against

179 abstained

Labour whipping as well, predictions it will win by 50+ votes.

Indy fucked in my lifetime then

27 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Indy fucked in my lifetime then

Yep.

sly move calling it Common Market 2.0

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

But the least chance of being allowed to have one.

If we stay in both SM and CU it could be argued that there is no mandate for an independence referendum.

It is only in the last week that SNP votes at Westminster have actually started to count in determining the outcome of parliamentary votes. It is very important that the SNP continue to use there votes in a sensible manner. 

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

But the least chance of being allowed to have one.

If we stay in both SM and CU it could be argued that there is no mandate for an independence referendum.

Only if you buy into the Tory/UKIP narrative of staying in the CU + SM as 'not being a proper Brexit'.

The Tories were never going to allow indyref2 no matter what type of Brexit occurs i'd imagine.

Boles is still the most preferable scenario with regards to indyref2 IMO.

13 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Only if you buy into the Tory/UKIP narrative of staying in the CU + SM as 'not being a proper Brexit'.

The Tories were never going to allow indyref2 no matter what type of Brexit occurs i'd imagine.

Boles is still the most preferable scenario with regards to indyref2 IMO.

I agree with this 100%.  I've been of the opinion for some time now that the current UK government would not allow a second Independence referendum on the basis of the 2016 HR election regardless of what happens with Brexit.   Even in the event of a no deal, the answer will still be "Now is not the time".   

The only way around that is for both the SNP and Greens to stand on a very clear platform in 2021 that supports that.

As I continue to say, if you can't win an Indy majority at Holyrood on that platform, you won't win a referendum.

Edited by aaid

Every election should be a mini indyref2. But the SNP have buried the issue. Last manifesto I read barely mentioned it. It should be the central plank pretty much saying if you don’t want independence don’t vote for the SNP. 

The Bain principle

Anyone that votes Labour in Scotland is a cunt

Labour will be whipping for all the motions tonight save that of Joana Cherry’s revocation idea, on which they will abstain.

Climate change protest

D3FT7y0XQAIOOG4.jpg

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

100% agree

But i would imagine Sturgeon knows this as well

However she has to be seen to be "playing the game" "Scotland voted to remain in the UK" etc which annoys the fuck out of rampant yessers (like me) but appeals to soft Nos

That will be why they are supporting the Common Market 2.0 today - it's a gamble but it will most likely fail

When it comes her announcing the Indyref2 date she can stand up and say she tried everything

I think what a lot of people forget about Salmond and Sturgeon is that they have spent their whole adult lives campaigning for Independence - way more than 90% of Yessers

They want it more than any of us and hopefully they are clever enough to know how to win it

There are strategists of presumably the same mindset too and all this wont be lost on them

Does the CM 2.0 plan involve joining EFTA? I read somewhere that Norway and Switzerland had already said they don't want the UK in EFTA. I think the polite reason given was that the size of the UK economy would distort how EFTA works. What they really meant was "We don't want yous bunch of annoying bawbags in oor club".

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Does the CM 2.0 plan involve joining EFTA? I read somewhere that Norway and Switzerland had already said they don't want the UK in EFTA. I think the polite reason given was that the size of the UK economy would distort how EFTA works. What they really meant was "We don't want yous bunch of annoying bawbags in oor club".

Was it perhaps this ? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/channel4news/status/1071078003780870146?s=12

“Angus Robertson tipped to take #Scottish #Conservative Leader Ruth Davidson's #Holyrood seat for the #SNP Angus Robertson - Business, Communication and Public Diplomacy”

hearing elidigh whiteford going to replace stewart stevenson for the snp in banff and buchan, i hooe so as he is useless 

44 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

“Angus Robertson tipped to take #Scottish #Conservative Leader Ruth Davidson's #Holyrood seat for the #SNP Angus Robertson - Business, Communication and Public Diplomacy”

hearing elidigh whiteford going to replace stewart stevenson for the snp in banff and buchan, i hooe so as he is useless 

Davidson will be toast in Edinburgh Central, she'll still get in on the list obviously but losing her seat will be a humiliation for her.

That's is she's back from maternity leave by then of course. 

All votes failed

Nick Boles resigns from the Tory party and walks across the floor

Indyref a bit closer

The SNP gamble worked

So we seem to have gone from 8 failed motions to 4 failed motions, is that progress?

I see the Clarke one lost by only 3 votes. Surely much much closer than the May offer. 

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

All votes failed

Nick Boles resigns from the Tory party and walks across the floor

Indyref a bit closer

The SNP gamble worked

How so? (Genuine question)

You look away for a few moments and  the ground has shifted again...

Edited by exile

Just now, exile said:

How so? (Genuine question)

You look away for a few moments and  the ground has shifted again...

The material change in circumstances is almost upon us - no customs union, no second referendum, no deal

An hour is a long time in politics ............

13 minutes ago, exile said:

I see the Clarke one lost by only 3 votes. Surely much much closer than the May offer.

Would've passed if the SNP hadn't abstained. 

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The material change in circumstances is almost upon us - no customs union, no second referendum, no deal

OK, I see. But it's still knife-edge, would just take a few votes to get one of them across the line, and then open season again.  

Edit: Including those abstaining, all it needs is a few of those abstainers to shift one way or another. 

Edited by exile

I may get a bit of greif over this post however i think the snp/yes movement have lost a sense of nationalism, its as if nationalism is some bad thing that should be locked in a room and not be seen. Why not be proud of our little country a big it up to the hills, also it seems that past grievences the union has inflicted onto us are not to be talked about, many of those actions are still being felt to this day. everything is so nicey,nicey with no bite, and before anyone starts no not blood and soil nationalism it just  there just seems to be no grit at all these past few years