IMO, the lesson in avoiding repeat referenda is to take them seriously and make a serious effort to win them convincingly. Going in to a referendum with a scorched earth policy and failing to even remotely connect with the electorate is a sure fire way to piss a lot of people off. It's no surprise were going to go through it all again. The No campaign, its supporters and the UK Government completely failed to understand the danger the Union was in and failed to learn any lessons that have cost it the EU referendum too. More fundamentally though, cheap, superficial, shallow politics has been a cancer on UK politics for several decades and it's not surprising the UK state is now on its knees.

4 hours ago, Scunnered said:

If any major Union backs a Yes vote I'll donate £10 British pounds to the charity of your choice,

Edited by Orraloon
Too slow

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

By the time you have to pay out, that will be less than the price of a half pint in all European countries outside the UK. Cheapskate, make it £100

I work for a Czech company and was sacked and rehired 8 times by the same company in the last 3 years...  You'll be lucky if I can afford the £10 when it comes :wink2:

11 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

If Scunnered says 'Aye', we'll win it.

I am pretty important aren't I? :wink2: How you keeping sir?

Today my likelihood of voting Yes in a future indyref is 49%.

Just now, Flora MaDonald said:

All good in the hood, thanks, Sir. If I bared my arse in Union Street, would that push you over the 50%?

If you can make Sheridan not a thing anymore I'll hand you my postal vote.

Looking south at the state of the Tories, Johnston, Gove, Farage et al and the nick of Labour, and the almighty cluster#### that has been political leadership in the glorious United Kingdom, and you have to wonder why anyone would vote to stay in the UK?! I mean, seriously?! The assumed power inherent in the United Kingdom has been shown to be a charade. We're led by weaklings, losers and chancers, all puppets at the end of strings controlled by a right-wing, xenophobic press and elite.

Why in the name of f*** would anyone vote to remain a part of this? If and when #indyref2 comes along and we someone voted to remain a member of the United Kingdom, there are no circumstances in which Scotland wants independence.

I dont even have to see the books and I dont need to know the economic outlook to know that I want no part of this. Jaw dropping that some would even hesitate.

Guest BlueGaz
39 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Looking south at the state of the Tories, Johnston, Gove, Farage et al and the nick of Labour, and the almighty cluster#### that has been political leadership in the glorious United Kingdom, and you have to wonder why anyone would vote to stay in the UK?! I mean, seriously?! The assumed power inherent in the United Kingdom has been shown to be a charade. We're led by weaklings, losers and chancers, all puppets at the end of strings controlled by a right-wing, xenophobic press and elite.

Why in the name of f*** would anyone vote to remain a part of this? If and when #indyref2 comes along and we someone voted to remain a member of the United Kingdom, there are no circumstances in which Scotland wants independence.

I dont even have to see the books and I dont need to know the economic outlook to know that I want no part of this. Jaw dropping that some would even hesitate.

Have you not answered your own question?  You don't know how this will pan out?  No one does.  Yet you don't need to see the books to know the economic outlook to know that you want no part of it.  No part of what?  At this moment in time, I agree with you, but over the next 2 years?  You have no idea.  If/when indyref2 comes up, I will decide on the what has happened from this weekend, till that day, which way I vote.

How many people did vote and will vote Yes, regardless of any circumstances, they just want indy.  I recon it is high.  It has to be high.  Similar to what has happened this weekend albeit on a smaller scale, but relative.

Edited by BlueGaz

The hatred for Nicola is increasing from the wee angry unionists going by social media. 

We just need one big company to say it will move to an independent  Scotland if it remains in the EU. They should be setting up a meeting with HSBC quick smart.

Edited by Och Aye

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

The hatred for Nicola is increasing from the wee angry unionists going by social media. 

We just need one big company to say it will move to an independent  Scotland if it remains in the EU. They should be setting up a meeting with HSBC quick smart.

For me, she has gone from grabbing my attention after she took over from Salmond, to a downward slide to his level. 

10 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

For me, she has gone from grabbing my attention after she took over from Salmond, to a downward slide to his level. 

Which tells me more about you than it does about her. From unionists to nationalists, her stock has risen almost unanimously amongst my friends and family thanks to the way she has conducted herself.

9 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

why??

She's the only one coming out of this with any credit. Every other party is in melt down and the back tracking has already begun from the leave campaign. They even claimed the NHS promise wasn't part of their campaign despite Andrew Marr showing boris the fud standing campaigning with a huge poster showing this promise. 

Yesterday some of the leading members of leave were asked why they had no plan moving forward.  They said it was because the leave campaign was not a ruling party in Government, I shit you not. 

The events in London should be enough for any Unionist to question the Union.

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Which tells me more about you than it does about her. From unionists to nationalists, her stock has risen almost unanimously amongst my friends and family thanks to the way she has conducted herself.

I think she has totally contradicted herself all weekend.  I will admit I probably haven't seen everything she has said, but what I have seen she has, during the same conversation said that in regards to brexit she is certain a, b, c, d and e is bad, however reference indyref2 we are in uncharted water.  That doesn't make sense to me.  It may to you, and I respect that, it just doesn't to me.  As far as I am concerned, I agree with her that we are in uncharted water regarding indyref2, but i also firmly believe we are in uncharted water regarding brexit too.

I have decided to see what happens over the time from now till indyref2, if it happens, to make my mind up.  If that differs from your unionist and nationalist mates, it matters not to me.  I am just not prepared to make a decision today.

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The events in London should be enough for any Unionist to question the Union.

I don't consider myself a unionist, but I am questioning the union again after these events.

26 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Founded by Scotsmen.

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Flora MaDonald said:

That is some level then.

I know, worrying isn't it.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Flora MaDonald said:

I can understand why people don't like him, but you can't deny the guy's ability.

But what will he be remembered for?

42 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

It's the curse of social media in the 21st century, hate-filled lunatics who use the cloak of anonymity to get out their jealousy and frustrations.

They need a target, and for Unionist nutters the sight of Sturgeon talking about a 2nd referendum has inflamed them.

It goes far beyond political differences and has stepped into a world of hate and insanity where every single utterance Sturgeon or Salmond makes has lunatics everywhere running to their keyboards to denounce them.

It'll only get worse as we head inexorably towards a 2nd referendum.

12 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Yep, odds on until they started to get info through about what was happening.  My point being, they got it badly wrong.  Think we all did though to be fair.

I actually predicted that the vote south of the border would be to leave and that Scotland would vote about 2-1 to remain, so pretty close.  I wasn't sure whether it would be an aggregate leave or remain, but I was pretty sure that it would be close, and I would have loved to see England kept in the EU by Scottish votes - that would be a real get the popcorn in event.  The actual result is a good one for the independence movement as it keeps the initiative with us - if we had kept England in the EU we wouldn't really have justification for indyref2 at this stage at least (although the English might have wanted to take steps to get rid of us.).

I think independence is now inevitable unless the EU referendum result somehow gets ignored by the UK parliament (and that would lead to a lot of civil unrest in some areas, even though half the leave voters hadn't a clue what they were voting for).  I don't think the SG should try too hard to block Brexit as far as England is concerned because that's their choice and we have no moral right to tell them what to do.  Only if our path to continued EU membership is blocked by them should we start to play dirty.  We need to look after ourselves and let them look after themselves as far as it doesn't affect us.

Edited by Alibi