The Tamb Independence Referendum Results Thread - Page 20 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Tamb Independence Referendum Results Thread

18 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Agree with this but doubt the part I've put in bold. I hope I'm wrong but don't think there were many. It was an easy excuse, to make them feel less of a traitor. Like the I'm voting No because because I don't like Alex Salmond twats. 

Of course folk were taken in by the lies - start with the vow: where's this "nearest thing to federalism", or anything else they promised?  Here we are dragged out of the EU against our will and people just accepting it meekly with nothing more than a bit of moaning.  Remember the "vote no or you'll be out the EU"?  All these wee lies cumulatively made a difference.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread makes very sad reading, I wasn’t on here during the referendum. Inverclyde voting No would have confirmed the result for me at a very early stage that night . Unbelievable.
The day after the referendum was something I never want to experience again in my life. It seemed like for so many people the referendum was no more than a by election, such was the disinterest and ease with which they moved on. 

As far as my friends and family go, any of them who took their time to weigh up the 2 options and chose No because they genuinely felt that was the best path then I dont hold a grudge against. Unfortunately however most of those who voted No didnt even give Yes a chance, and for that reason I felt nothing but anger and disappointment,  and whilst it didnt ruin a friendship a degree of respect for them disappeared for good. 

Funnily enough, the  friends who actually did take time to question things further all ended up voting Yes. 

I was not at all happy the morning after the referendum.   Of course.

But like others on here I'm sure, my whole adult life I've been in a minority seeking independence... around 25% in my teens.   From the start of the campaign (at what, 33% or something?), I was surprised and delighted at he gains towards the poll.  Great to see mostly younger people coming along and turning things around.

(Funny how it's only a divided nation when you see your dominance threatened 🙄 )

It would honestly have been a surprise to me to wake up and find we were independent in 2014.   But I don't get depressed by the result.   You folks took it a long way.   Now it really is close.

Take it from a grumpy old git, there's some amount of miserables around.   We've never been this close!   Don't let the bastards grind you down.

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

This thread makes very sad reading, I wasn’t on here during the referendum. Inverclyde voting No would have confirmed the result for me at a very early stage that night . Unbelievable.
The day after the referendum was something I never want to experience again in my life. It seemed like for so many people the referendum was no more than a by election, such was the disinterest and ease with which they moved on. 

As far as my friends and family go, any of them who took their time to weigh up the 2 options and chose No because they genuinely felt that was the best path then I dont hold a grudge against. Unfortunately however most of those who voted No didnt even give Yes a chance, and for that reason I felt nothing but anger and disappointment,  and whilst it didnt ruin a friendship a degree of respect for them disappeared for good. 

Funnily enough, the  friends who actually did take time to question things further all ended up voting Yes. 

I lost my shit with a m8 who admitted he hadn't voted as he couldn't be arsed. We're not friends any more although not for that reason but I think I doubted his character from that point. 

Without doubt the worst feeling I've had in my life (apart from family tragedy) was going to bed that morning knowing it was lost 🙈

I'll always remember where i was on the night 19th of September 2014.

Dublin docklands, Oktoberfest.

Most of the Dublin TA was there. Felt like a support group.

Lots of emotion that day. The locals were sympathetic, but it was embarrassing all the same.

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I was not at all happy the morning after the referendum.   Of course.

But like others on here I'm sure, my whole adult life I've been in a minority seeking independence... around 25% in my teens.   From the start of the campaign (at what, 33% or something?), I was surprised and delighted at he gains towards the poll.  Great to see mostly younger people coming along and turning things around.

(Funny how it's only a divided nation when you see your dominance threatened 🙄 )

It would honestly have been a surprise to me to wake up and find we were independent in 2014.   But I don't get depressed by the result.   You folks took it a long way.   Now it really is close.

Take it from a grumpy old git, there's some amount of miserables around.   We've never been this close!   Don't let the bastards grind you down.

I have to be honest and felt deep down we weren’t going to do it, hence the reason I could not bring myself to sit up and watch the results. Well that and the fact I had to work next day with a group of No voters and English clients, and was not prepared to break down through sleep deprivation. 
I still didnt predict how badly it would affect me right enough .

You are right though Jim, there are some around that would wear your username as a badge of honour, such is their negativity,  when in fact we are far closer than we have ever been.

10 hours ago, slasher said:

I lost my shit with a m8 who admitted he hadn't voted as he couldn't be arsed. We're not friends any more although not for that reason but I think I doubted his character from that point. 

Without doubt the worst feeling I've had in my life (apart from family tragedy) was going to bed that morning knowing it was lost 🙈

To not vote because you could not be arsed has to be the single most selfish action of them all. I cannot fathom how people did not realise what a momentous occasion that was and care so little about the prospects independence could bring. 

You did not need to be interested in politics to feel passion. I had, and generally have, no interest in politics, but I do care about the independence of the country I live in. I also have the belief that the people who live in this country have the ability to make it successful. Its just a pity not everyone has that belief in themselves and the rest of the country. 

I find it shockingly hypocritical of Conservatives whose whole mantra is promoting self sufficiency and limited government, to use the powers of that government to deny Scotland the right to another referendum, and that self sufficiency seems to apply to running free markets , but not running a free country. 

I feel cheated even if they did not put their thumb on the scales with the voting (and I almost sure they did as it was left wide open to them for a reason).

We definitely had the momentum going into the last week or so and it was showing at the polls as they crept up. I was sure it was going to be YES at polling day at that point. That was a unique feeling in politics, my whole life I have never experienced the buzz that was building. It was like we had come alive.

What sent them into absolute meltdown was that one poll that came out that put YES ahead (52/48 I think). Fuck me I have never seen anything like that before nor since. The UK political establishment came unglued at that point and went into full panic mode.

All the other political parties melted into one and attacked us.

The already insanely one sided and biased media coverage especially from the publicly funded state broadcaster went into overdrive. I described at the time as an 'onslaught' as that is what it felt like. We did not have a single voice throughout other than folk like Wings and the alternative media. The little Blue Book only came out a week before I think and it had an effect. Just goes to show what it could have been like with a balanced media...

The vow of course. Utterly disgraceful to do that in the run up to the vote. Total lies as well.

Trying to make a NO a vote for devo max when it was not on the ballot.

The veiled threat from the Queen. Totally staged as well so fully premeditated. Not often I can remember the Queen basically trying to scare the electorate before a vote. So an intervention from the Monarch as well. Nice.

The succession of companies and organizations releasing threats about job losses, about leaving etc... all bullshit as well.

It was full spectrum deception and propaganda.

It is amazing we got 45%.

I personally strongly suspect we may have done a lot better. And that would also explain a lot about what has been done since... but that is another conversation and another thread.

I forget a lot of other shit as well that went on. The whole referendum was an absolute disgrace. I was so pissed off and still am by it all. The lesson I learned is that democracy in Scotland is only respected as long as we are voting for someone who is in their pockets. The masks truly slipped in the week before the referendum.

Someone posted a clip of Flower of Scotland from the Westfalenstadion in Dortmund before the game in September 2014 the other week,  I made the comment that it was probably peak hope at that minute in time, both for the match about to come but also the referendum the following week.  The Sunday Herald had just published “that poll” and I can remember bars in Düsseldorf going crazy on the Saturday night as the news went around.

Went down to Luxembourg for the U21s the following day.  Leighton who’d come out for No, and was goalkeeping coach, was getting pelters before the match as we were behind the dugout - which might possibly have had a Yes sticker applied.

Myself and WillFaeSwindon got into an argument in the queue for boarding at the airport with some English guy moaning about ungrateful Scots and how it was ridiculous that immigrants, his words not mine, got the vote but he didn’t.  He was told in no uncertain terms that “immigrants” live in Scotland, he doesn’t and it’s got fuck all to do with him.  The look on the guys face was priceless.  

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Actually , everyone who looked at logic and reason did the same. 

People who took time to debate and learn for themselves voted YES.,

This is why there was no debate allowed, YES Stalls and Meeting were ghosted by the NO side as they didnt want debate.

I am involved in our local Village Fete(Lilias Day) and there was a YES stall there, (no NO stall , no one offered) it was voted thru by the commitee, however many Fetes and Gala days throughout the country refused a YES stall because they could not get a NO stall.

I too was completely devistated, it was the worst day of my life, however i have since had both Parents die and that day has been put into perspective.

I also put people into YES/NO brackets when meeting them for the first time.  I dont like this , but i cant help it.

in 2014. Scotland was not ready for Indy, it was considered a fringe opinion.

Indy is now mainstream and the only debate now is when not if we become Independent.

I dont think we would win right now , but there is an inbuilt Majority for Indy at the population and Parliament and there will be for the next 5-10 years. SNP/Greens/ even ALBA .

Indy is the default position for the under 35's (70% of women in this age group) 

So my thinking is should we go soon(18-24 months?) and win 52-48 or wait 5-10 years  and win 65-35.

I still have nt got 2014 of my system and its painful to go back there.

Edited by stocky
spelling

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Someone posted a clip of Flower of Scotland from the Westfalenstadion in Dortmund before the game in September 2014 the other week,  I made the comment that it was probably peak hope at that minute in time, both for the match about to come but also the referendum the following week.  The Sunday Herald had just published “that poll” and I can remember bars in Düsseldorf going crazy on the Saturday night as the news went around.

Went down to Luxembourg for the U21s the following day.  Leighton who’d come out for No, and was goalkeeping coach, was getting pelters before the match as we were behind the dugout - which might possibly have had a Yes sticker applied.

Myself and WillFaeSwindon got into an argument in the queue for boarding at the airport with some English guy moaning about ungrateful Scots and how it was ridiculous that immigrants, his words not mine, got the vote but he didn’t.  He was told in no uncertain terms that “immigrants” live in Scotland, he doesn’t and it’s got fuck all to do with him.  The look on the guys face was priceless.  

Talking of the National Anthem, I couldn’t bring myself to sing it at the Georgia game a few weeks later. How could I sing ‘rise now and be a nation again’ when the country shat the bed a few weeks before

6 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Talking of the National Anthem, I couldn’t bring myself to sing it at the Georgia game a few weeks later. How could I sing ‘rise now and be a nation again’ when the country shat the bed a few weeks before

I recall a lot of similar talk at that time. 

Went into work the next morning. A colleague who probably didn't realise I was a Scot told me he had won £20 on a bet that Scotland wouldn't vote yes. He said he knew the Scots wouldn't 'because they'd bottle it'. Felt sick, genuinely one of the worst days of my life.

I joined SNP the same day as an act of defiance. Still a member (just). More positively we've sold up and are moving to just outside Edinburgh next month. My wife has resigned from the Labour Party and when the referendum does come around they'll be two more votes for yes. And in case Tess White is listening that'll be two votes from people born in England (although admittedly only one of them identifies as English)!

Edited by Hertsscot

4 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

There was a very strange and strained atmosphere that day, particularly given the venue.  I know what you mean by the anthem, felt very hollow.

11 hours ago, thplinth said:

I feel cheated even if they did not put their thumb on the scales with the voting (and I almost sure they did as it was left wide open to them for a reason).

We definitely had the momentum going into the last week or so and it was showing at the polls as they crept up. I was sure it was going to be YES at polling day at that point. That was a unique feeling in politics, my whole life I have never experienced the buzz that was building. It was like we had come alive.

What sent them into absolute meltdown was that one poll that came out that put YES ahead (52/48 I think). Fuck me I have never seen anything like that before nor since. The UK political establishment came unglued at that point and went into full panic mode.

All the other political parties melted into one and attacked us.

The already insanely one sided and biased media coverage especially from the publicly funded state broadcaster went into overdrive. I described at the time as an 'onslaught' as that is what it felt like. We did not have a single voice throughout other than folk like Wings and the alternative media. The little Blue Book only came out a week before I think and it had an effect. Just goes to show what it could have been like with a balanced media...

The vow of course. Utterly disgraceful to do that in the run up to the vote. Total lies as well.

Trying to make a NO a vote for devo max when it was not on the ballot.

The veiled threat from the Queen. Totally staged as well so fully premeditated. Not often I can remember the Queen basically trying to scare the electorate before a vote. So an intervention from the Monarch as well. Nice.

The succession of companies and organizations releasing threats about job losses, about leaving etc... all bullshit as well.

It was full spectrum deception and propaganda.

It is amazing we got 45%.

I personally strongly suspect we may have done a lot better. And that would also explain a lot about what has been done since... but that is another conversation and another thread.

I forget a lot of other shit as well that went on. The whole referendum was an absolute disgrace. I was so pissed off and still am by it all. The lesson I learned is that democracy in Scotland is only respected as long as we are voting for someone who is in their pockets. The masks truly slipped in the week before the referendum.

Great post and that's what I remember most - the buzz.  The Yes flags and posters everywhere.  The crowd first thing at the polling station in our town with folk desperate to be first in to cast their Yes vote.  (The one who actually made it in first was a 75 year-old Rangers-supporting, Masonic lodge member pal of mine who I think had been waiting half the night to do the very thing he'd wanted all his life.)

I couldn't, and still can't, believe the result.  Where were the celebrations and parties after the union had been saved?  Nothing.

Genuinely felt like a death in the family and I've experienced one early in life so I'm not belittling that experience.

Went to bed when all was lost and hoped I wouldn't wake up the next morning.  It was months before I was near a news website and it was DVDs and recorded shows only on our TV.

I've only been abroad once since.  I made sure I wasn't wearing anything that'd identify me as being from the country that shat itself.  I haven't felt the same way about Scotland since.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, Alibi said:

Of course folk were taken in by the lies - start with the vow: where's this "nearest thing to federalism", or anything else they promised?  Here we are dragged out of the EU against our will and people just accepting it meekly with nothing more than a bit of moaning.  Remember the "vote no or you'll be out the EU"?  All these wee lies cumulatively made a difference.

I still haven't met a No voter that has said they'd vote Yes next time. 

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

I still haven't met a No voter that has said they'd vote Yes next time. 

I know two in particular

1 is married to a Dutch Lady, both voted 'no' due to leaviung eu scare , will vote yes next time.

The second is my weather vain , a 45ish lady, very Labour strong NO voter, very politically aware. Voted Labour in GE and Labour Green in Holyrude, but since Boris and EU is now an SNP /green voter.

Mhari Black, our MP is one reason, 

Nicola is another, she disliked Salmond ( As did a lot of Ladies her age/background.)

Out of EU was a big Changer

Boris being prime minister has got her waving the Indy flag

i would like to think My monthly catch up walks during covid have helped push her as well.

She is now an influencer of her peers.

However, meeting NO voters who will now vote yes, (20% of no's are now yes,10% of yessers are now no)  is not where we need to focus, the new voters, the under 20's( have had no say on EU or Indy) this demographic  are around 70%+ YES , and we need to get these people to VOTE. 

Remember the oldies, over 55's  (70% no ) are dying off. 

To be crass, for every 10 voters dying of old age only 3 of them were Yessers.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:02 PM, slasher said:

I had a work colleague who was the same, or so he said. "What's in it for me?", was kind of his attitude. 🙄

Another boy went from being at best sceptical about independence to the verge of painting his face blue and single-handedly laying seige to York within the space of just a few months. Great. Except the dozy cunt hadn't registered to vote! 🤦‍♂️

On 9/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, TDYER63 said:

I have to be honest and felt deep down we weren’t going to do it, hence the reason I could not bring myself to sit up and watch the results. Well that and the fact I had to work next day with a group of No voters and English clients, and was not prepared to break down through sleep deprivation. 
I still didnt predict how badly it would affect me right enough .

You are right though Jim, there are some around that would wear your username as a badge of honour, such is their negativity,  when in fact we are far closer than we have ever been.

Aye, in my heart of hearts I didn't really think we could do it either, but I felt we had to, if that makes sense.

I knew, come what may, that I wouldn't be in the right frame of mind to work, so I booked that week off about a year in advance! 😂

Loved the buzz and excitement running up to the vote, i always thought it was an up hill task, i thought we had a chance in the week before,, but always doubted we would win it, it made it no easier to take once the vote came through,, i would say 80% + of those who expressed an opinion to myself were in favour, that was with working offshore, my involvement in the fishing industry and my personal social circle. Thats gave me more hope than i maybe should have had. 

Whether or not i dislike sturgeon, i will always champion independence, i do believe it will be unlikely to see a referendum this Parliament term but if we do, we will need to reach out to ex yes and SNP supporters,, thats where Alba will be pivotal