SIR Rod Stewart! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Given we have honours...pleased Rod at last has one...well deserved. .a greater singer and performer and song writer. ..and of course a passionate member of the Tartan Army.CCongratulations Rod from all of us!

53 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Given we have honours...pleased Rod at last has one...well deserved. .a greater singer and performer and song writer. ..and of course a passionate member of the Tartan Army.CCongratulations Rod from all of us!

I wonder how Maggie May felt when she heard this

24 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Surprised they weren't knighted too!

Sir Roderick? That'll go down well at Parkhead...

They have had Lords on the Board, a wee knighthood will no bother them

1 hour ago, buckielugger said:

Unionist that wanted Scotland to be part of the UK. Stuff him. I see the ref at the Scotland v Australia rugby match has also been awarded. Sooner we do what the French and Russians done the better.

Yes I knew someone would bring politics into it and Rod's are very different from mine and from many of us and yes awards unfortunately have a class basis iin this country which is far from ideal but other republican countries also still have awards systems such as the Legion d'honneur and the Order of Lenin...and I would hope one day an Independent Scotland would be able to honour its citizens too..

A Scottish Order of distinction perhaps. Which could honour the living and the dead...Wallace and Bruce etc...But for now we have what we have and in that context Rod deserves this.

Edited by buckielugger

5 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Yes I knew someone would bring politics into it and Rod's are very different from mine and from many of us and yes awards unfortunately have a class basis iin this country which is far from ideal but other republican countries also still have awards systems such as the Legion d'honneur and the Order of Lenin...and I would hope one day an Independent Scotland would be able to honour its citizens too..

A Scottish Order of distinction perhaps. Which could honour the living and the dead...Wallace and Bruce etc...But for now we have what we have and in that context Rod deserves this.

The Order of Lenin no longer exists, it was last awarded in 1991. The Soviet Union no longer exists.

Why exactly does "Rod" deserve an honour and not say a long standing cancer research scientist ?

6 hours ago, buckielugger said:

The whole honours system is political FFS.

Talking about class, great to see that Tricia Marwick showed some in turning one down. 

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

The whole honours system is political FFS.

Talking about class, great to see that Tricia Marwick showed some in turning one down. 

That's something we can agree on :ok:

She was quoted as saying

“I have had many meaningful honours in my life. To be one of the first MSPs when our Parliament was reconvened in 1999, to be elected as  MSP for my home constituency of Central Fife and then to serve  as the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament.

“That is recognition and honour enough for me. I have no need for further rewards or honours.”

The late Donald Stewart (SNP MP for the Western Isles 1970-87) was offered a life peerage in 1987 after he retired as an MP but turned it down without hesitation.

On 11/06/2016 at 1:51 AM, buckielugger said:

Biggest load of crap posted on the board for a while.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:20 AM, bigphil25 said:

Unionist that wanted Scotland to be part of the UK. Stuff him. I see the ref at the Scotland v Australia rugby match has also been awarded. Sooner we do what the French and Russians done the better.

Folk like you really must have a sad, bitter existence. 

Its a pile of meaningless shite tbh. Some of his songs are decent, some are dodgy to say the least. Anyway, the award means literally nothing so why bother with it?

Its just the establishments way of cosying up to folk by "recognising" them, well fair play to you if you feel better about those twats "recognising" you.