Europa League 2016-17 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Aberdeen are unbelievable. At every turn, when they have a chance to stick down a marker for how high they stand, they Dons it. 

Aye, nothing worse then getting through to the next round in Europe.

I honestly thought that last night...given the opposition and the circumstances....was the worst performance I've seen from an Aberdeen side, ever.

It made the 9-0 at Parkhead look like a masterclass in organisation and composure.

If I was to start on a rant about how awful every single player was, I'd run out of expletives and adjectives in no time at all and have to start inventing new words.

Let's just say that plenty of work needs to be done before the league season starts, and leave it at that.

It's amazing that after seeing our season collapse because our centre backs are shitebags and panic merchants who get caught out of position all the time, McInnes has decided to go in to this season with the same centre halves. 

It wasn't just the centre backs to blame for last night but their ineptitude unsettles the whole side. An embarrassing performance and one i hope we look at in great detail and learn from. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

It's amazing that after seeing our season collapse because our centre backs are shitebags and panic merchants who get caught out of position all the time, McInnes has decided to go in to this season with the same centre halves. 

It wasn't just the centre backs to blame for last night but their ineptitude unsettles the whole side. An embarrassing performance and one i hope we look at in great detail and learn from. 

I always thought that 1 decent centre half may help us,but last night it was clear as day that at least 2 are required. 

Can't believe we are going with same set up at back after last seasons calamitys with Taylor etc. It was glaringly obvious that is where we needed to strengthen Stevie Wonder could see that ffs. Mcinnes accountable for that

I've seen fat, pished blokes in the park have more organisation, effort and ability than Aberdeen did last night. It was so horrendously painful I can't help but chuckle every time I think about it.

4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That's a humiliation for Aberdeen and Scottish football that result.  Right down there with Motherwell losing to Llanelli or those Icelandic guys (who I noticed were knocked out by Connah's Quay Nomads last night).

That was Stabaek from Norway they beat.

Was Stjarnan from Iceland that beat us.

Your point stands though, Llanelli result was awful, they were a pub team, there star player was at least 18 stone....cup_280x390_838866a.jpg

18 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That's a humiliation for Aberdeen and Scottish football that result.  Right down there with Motherwell losing to Llanelli or those Icelandic guys (who I noticed were knocked out by Connah's Quay Nomads last night).

The performance was awful. Under prepared, disorganised and shambolic.

However.....the fact has to acknowledged that Aberdeen still won the tie. Unlike other Scottish clubs who have undoubtedly been humilated by losing ties over the years (let's not forget that United haven't won a European tie in over 20 years).

It's also true that Aberdeen were pretty pish in our 1st round tie last season, only to go to Croatia a week later and win 3-0 against a well funded side with Champions League pedigree. We're also the only Scottish team in the last 5 years or so to punch above our weight in Europe,

I'm not saying we'll do that next week, and this was a shocking result. But the last 2 years in Europe suggests that Aberdeen shouldn't be written off just yet. 

StJohnstone punched above their weight beating Rosenberg, but then lost to Accrington kazakhstanley in the next round.

The lack of preparation for the Stjarnan game by Stuart McCall is probably top of his pretty shameful knock out record at Motherwell.

To be fair, we won the tie v Llanelli, and their were mitigating factors in the 1st leg. (McGhee left us in the lurch, and Gannon came in days before with half a squad).

I think we've (we = Scottish sides) gone from fearing nobody and thinking we were better than we were in the 90s to now showing far too much respect to very ordinary sides.

I still not convinced that Scottish football as a whole has accepted or maybe that should be realised that our teams play against teams from so called weaker nations in the first rounds of Europe because that's where we are too.

All that we can do is to try and win as many ties as possible and look to get away from entering the competition in the very early rounds.

Aberdeen have played 7 European ties in the last 2 years and only 1 of those teams has been piss poor in comparison. 

It really is alarming how far we've fallen and how hard it will be to make meaningful and sustained progress. 

Edited by AberdeenAngus

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

That was Stabaek from Norway they beat.

Was Stjarnan from Iceland that beat us.

Your point stands though, Llanelli result was awful, they were a pub team, there star player was at least 18 stone....cup_280x390_838866a.jpg

Ah, right.  Apologies.  

Brasser for the Norwegians though.   I looked at the draw when it came out and thought "surely we've not fallen so far that we need to be the hat with teams from Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroes etc?"  But the it seems we have.

On a non-pisstake note, I noticed that clubs from Sweden and Hungary now start their campaigns at the same time, and I expect they've suffered in the Post-Bosman, Champions League, "Big Five" borefest that European football has become, just as we have.  It's a shame. 

10 hours ago, Rossy said:

The performance was awful. Under prepared, disorganised and shambolic.

However.....the fact has to acknowledged that Aberdeen still won the tie. Unlike other Scottish clubs who have undoubtedly been humilated by losing ties over the years (let's not forget that United haven't won a European tie in over 20 years).

It's also true that Aberdeen were pretty pish in our 1st round tie last season, only to go to Croatia a week later and win 3-0 against a well funded side with Champions League pedigree. We're also the only Scottish team in the last 5 years or so to punch above our weight in Europe,

I'm not saying we'll do that next week, and this was a shocking result. But the last 2 years in Europe suggests that Aberdeen shouldn't be written off just yet. 

We can take United out of this question altogether - we're playing in the same competition as Dundee under 20s and Total Network Solutions this season.  Although I would say that only MyPa on away goals was a tie we should've expected to win.  Dynamo Moscow, AEK Athens, Trabzpnspor etc  

I think an argument could be made that losing a game (whether they scraped the tie or not) to a mid-table team from Luxembourg is a contender for the worst single result for a Scottish team in Europe.  I would consider it against Hibs losing 7-0 to Malmo, Aberdeen being annihilated v Sigma Olomouc and that Motherwell game I mentioned.  I would have included Falkirk getting beat by Vaduz, but they play in the Swiss league so probably excuses that a little. 

I'm sure it's just early season rust and Aberdeen will improve in the next round, but for a Utd supporter, after all we've been through, just allow me a chuckle.  For the record, I hope Aberdeen do well in Europe, would be good to see them in the group stages again. 

Edited by adamntg

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

We can take United out of this question altogether - we're playing in the same competition as Dundee under 20s and Total Network Solutions this season.  Although I would say that only MyPa on away goals was a tie we should've expected to win.  Dynamo Moscow, AEK Athens, Trabzpnspor etc  

I think an argument could be made that losing a game (whether they scraped the tie or not) to a mid-table team from Luxembourg is a contender for the worst single result for a Scottish team in Europe.  I would consider it against Hibs losing 7-0 to Malmo, Aberdeen being annihilated v Sigma Olomouc and that Motherwell game I mentioned.  I would have included Falkirk getting beat by Vaduz, but they play in the Swiss league so probably excuses that a little. 

I'm sure it's just early season rust and Aberdeen will improve in the next round, but for a Utd supporter, after all we've been through, just allow me a chuckle.  For the record, I hope Aberdeen do well in Europe, would be good to see them in the group stages again. 

Scotland barely scraped past Luxembourg a few years back, and in 1987 a Scotland team packed with English Premiership players couldn't even score in Luxembourg.

We were lucky against Liechtenstein, twice. If Scotland played Luxembourg in a competitive game next week I wouldn't bet a single penny on us winning.

I think you're seriously overrating how 'good' Scottish teams in Europe are, and perhaps underrating a team that are actually champions of Luxembourg and in the last couple of years in Europe have drawn games away to Gothenburg and Dinamo Zagreb.

5 hours ago, Rossy said:

Scotland barely scraped past Luxembourg a few years back, and in 1987 a Scotland team packed with English Premiership players couldn't even score in Luxembourg.

We were lucky against Liechtenstein, twice. If Scotland played Luxembourg in a competitive game next week I wouldn't bet a single penny on us winning.

I think you're seriously overrating how 'good' Scottish teams in Europe are, and perhaps underrating a team that are actually champions of Luxembourg and in the last couple of years in Europe have drawn games away to Gothenburg and Dinamo Zagreb.

F91 Dudelange are the champions of Luxembourg.  Fola have never won a tie and had never previously won a game in Europe.  They have now, probably, overtaken Jeunesse Esch as the top team in Esch though.

Oh, and 39 year old ex-Dundee player Juan Sara plays for them.  That's how good they are. 

And all your other examples - of the national team for some reason - none of them actually lost.  

10 hours ago, Rossy said:

They did lose the home legs 0-2 and 0-5 respectively though...

Don't try and defend a defeat to a team from Luxembourg who are so irrelevant that they barely have any YouTube footage and, what does exist, is either examples of them getting humped, as above, or playing in the equivalent of Cliftonhill but with less fans. They are shite. For Aberdeen to lose to them is, frankly, completely inexcusable. They got through but if you consider a narrow aggregate victory to some public park team to be worthy of respect then winning in Gothenburg must seem like light years away.

7 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

They did lose the home legs 0-2 and 0-5 respectively though...

Don't try and defend a defeat to a team from Luxembourg who are so irrelevant that they barely have any YouTube footage and, what does exist, is either examples of them getting humped, as above, or playing in the equivalent of Cliftonhill but with less fans. They are shite. For Aberdeen to lose to them is, frankly, completely inexcusable. They got through but if you consider a narrow aggregate victory to some public park team to be worthy of respect then winning in Gothenburg must seem like light years away.

I'm not defending anything. My comments beforehand make absolutely clear what I think.

I'm simply putting the comment 'worst ever Scottish result in Europe' into some kind of context.

If anyone thinks that an undercooked Aberdeen team losing 1-0 (but still going through) is as bad as Hibs losing 7-0 at home to Malmo, or Motherwell  losing at home to Llanelli, or even the Old Firm millionaires being humliated in Bratislava or Lithuania......then they're nuts.