Europa League 2016-17 - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

8 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Shows how heavily weighted it is to the bigger teams, Aberdeen and stjohnstone have both beaten higher ranked teams, but Motherwell and hearts got dropped in (and pumped) a round further forward so are ranked higher.

:lol:

I don't understand how he figures it out, but "Bert" was the highlight of this time of year. I was only just romanticising about the pounding the bookies in Swansea took when we went to Llanelli 1-0 down. Motherwell HT/ft and John Sutton 1st goal being the bets of choice.

:shocked:

we were only pumped at home against Spurs, got a nil nil draw down at white hart lane, seem to remember Harry kane missing a pen and it took at Luis Suarez 88th minute goal to get Liverpool a 1-1 draw at Anfield to knock us out.

David Templeton scored for us that night, wonder whatever happened to him

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen will face one of these five:

Trakai (LTU), 7 RoPS Rovaniemi (FIN), 8 Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA), 9 Valur Reykjavík (ISL), 10 Fola Esch (LUX)

Hearts will face:

6 Víkingur (FRO), 7 Sūduva (LTU), 8 Cork City (IRL), 9 Infonet (EST), 10 Connah's Quay Nomads (WAL)

On 5/28/2016 at 11:43 PM, AberdeenAngus said:

I think I'm right in saying that Dundee Utd last won a tie in 1997/98.

Apologies if that's duff info.

That's correct.  I can only assume points are awarded for individual matches as well as overall ties, because they've beaten Slask Wroclaw (who won the Polish League) and drawn with Trabzonspor, AEK Athens and Dynamo Moscow.

They haven't actually won a tie against a "proper" team since they beat Borussia Moenchengladbach in the UEFA semi in 1987.  Coleraine, Floriana, Glentoran, Hafnarfjordur and Principat from Andorra the only teams they've beaten since Borussia and Barcelona.

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

Celtic and Aberdeen will get through, Hearts will struggle.

The Aberdeen tie sounds like a good one for an away trip. A pleasant, relatively close country and a strong likelihood of winning.

2 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

The Aberdeen tie sounds like a good one for an away trip. A pleasant, relatively close country and a strong likelihood of winning.

I can drive there in about 4 hours. 

Depends if I can afford the time off though, because if we win we'll get a decent team (Rijeka/Groningen etc) the week after.

I was at our supporters club do on Saturday night. Half the lads hope we get knocked out in the first round as really, it's all just a massive pain in the arse....:lol:

21 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I can drive there in about 4 hours. 

Depends if I can afford the time off though, because if we win we'll get a decent team (Rijeka/Groningen etc) the week after.

I was at our supporters club do on Saturday night. Half the lads hope we get knocked out in the first round as really, it's all just a massive pain in the arse....:lol:

Any chance of you getting another TV appearance?

4 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Aberdeen have got a decent draw in the 2nd round as well, Hearts might not be as good though

I thought that draw didn't start until 14:30? 

6 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Aberdeen have got a decent draw in the 2nd round as well, Hearts might not be as good though

True, from the point of view of getting to QR3, but we will be unseeded in that draw if we get there.  It might have been better to draw a (beatable) higher ranked team in QR2 to then piggy back on that seeding for QR3 and give a better chance of getting to the play-off.