European Stag Do - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Stag Do

LiamCarlisle

alright lads, 

have to organise my brothers stag do I've got a while to organise it so want to plan a belter. But as I'm a younger brother I've never had to organise or been on a stag do before. Been away with the tartan army to places like Prague, Amsterdam etc tho. Anyone been on a stag do recently and recommend any cities to go to? Been looking at Budapest but not sure what its got in terms of nightlife etc. They'll be a mix of ages as my old man and his mates are coming as well so a mix of ages between 21 and 55 but we are fairly heavy drinkers so want somewhere with good nightlife ahead of things to do. 

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Obviously depends on time of year and days of the week you're there, but Budapest, Brno, Berlin, Prague and anywhere in Poland would all be decent choices.

I find the nightlife in smaller cities is usually better, mainly as it's easier to find the liveliest places to eat and drink.

Budapest is really nice, but there is something about it that made me always think that it was not really stag doo material even though it has got a great nightlife scene, but its one of those where its not really catered for a large group of lads out for a bender.... plus you never really hear Budapest on the Stag Doo lists... it comes up, but mainly because of its proximity to places like Prague.

Berlin you can never really go wrong with.

If looking for something outside the box, I would consider Dresden (just under 2 hours on the train from Berlin).... got the right mix of culture and nightlife that it ticks all the boxes.... spend the day in the old town, then at night head into the  Neustadt (a sort of micro-Republic full of dive bars, clubs, hipster bars etc....).... it will shock you the amount of people who go there, see the old town and do not bother crossing the river to a area that offers just as much as the likes of Prague and Dusseldorf have to offer, yet full of locals (my night in Dresden I hung around with a German couple from Munster who were shocked with just how good it is (it does not get a good reputation with Germans, yet most are shocked how good it is when they do show up).

Depending on your budget and amount of time you want to spend traveling, Lviv in Western Ukraine is also a really good alternative option..... Ryanair are all set to move in to there, so now is the time to visit as it will be on a par with Prague and Budapest within 5-10 years, where as just now its the hidden little virgin sister of those cities.

Guest faircity
21 hours ago, macy37 said:

Would have suggested Munich but after being there last weekend do not. It now has a horrible vibe with all the refugees. Horrible.

Hamburg, Berlin both have loads going on beer and nightlife wise.

Madrid? 

I think ive seen you say this kinda thing previously about germany, maybe not though. But I was thinking of heading over in august to a few places, been to most of the major cities previously, but is there a definite change for the worse in light of recent events? Might change destinations if so.

I enjoyed Düsseldorf there's something to suit all ages pub wise cheap enough from Edinburgh with Ryanair couple of ours flight so not to far back when the suffering kicks in 

2 hours ago, faircity said:

I think ive seen you say this kinda thing previously about germany, maybe not though. But I was thinking of heading over in august to a few places, been to most of the major cities previously, but is there a definite change for the worse in light of recent events? Might change destinations if so.

I can only speak for Munich but I noticed a huge change for the worse not only at the station but also in town where the police presence was stronger than ever and the feeling in town was edgy.

That feeling was not replicated in the other places we visited.

If you are looking at Germany I would recommend Hamburg or Dusseldorf.  Personally wouldn't go to Berlin for a Stag (having been to two previously).   Fantastic city but a lot more suited to a weekend away with the wife imo.

Would you consider a music festival or such like? Benicassim can be done relatively cheaply.   I went to Snowbombing (Austria) a couple of years back for a Stag and it was superb. 

I assume you aren't looking at some shitty resort in the sun as an option? That's what my brother wanted for his so we are going to Lloret De Mar next Fri-Mon. £300 all inclusive, including transfers.  I've no doubt the place will be a bit of a dump, but beer in the sun with a strip of bars is pretty much all they are looking for.

8 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

If you are looking at Germany I would recommend Hamburg or Dusseldorf.  Personally wouldn't go to Berlin for a Stag (having been to two previously).   Fantastic city but a lot more suited to a weekend away with the wife imo.

It depends where in Berlin you base yourself i.e. avoid Mitte. 

16 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I've heard that Milton Keynes is a real hidden gem.

Almost like London's untapped, virgin sister.

I've heard a lot of positive things about the local football team there - well worth a visit.

2 hours ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Presuming all you're going to do is go on the p155 for a couple of days and sit in pubs then you can save a lot of hassle, cost and time by going somewhere closer to home.

Life was a lot simpler when stag-dos were a Rose St pub crawl on a Saturday afternoon.

If one of my mates told me his stag doo was a night out in a place that i'd already had 30 nights out in, then i'd get new pals. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

If one of my mates told me his stag doo was a night out in a place that i'd already had 30 nights out in, then i'd get new pals. 

You've had 30 nights out in every decent stag-do venue in Scotland and England?

I've been envious of your stratospheric intellect for a while now and the no doubt high-achieving career and wealth that has enabled you to have. I'm now also envious of your social life and how well travelled you are.

2 hours ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

You've had 30 nights out in every decent stag-do venue in Scotland and England?

I've been envious of your stratospheric intellect for a while now and the no doubt high-achieving career and wealth that has enabled you to have. I'm now also envious of your social life and how well travelled you are.

Here was me thinking your post said "a Rose Street pub crawl" but I now see it actually said "a night out in a venue in the UK that folk haven't been before". 

:unsure: 

I'm going to Gdansk next week for a stag do so will let you know how good it is.

So far though it's been cheap to organise, about £80-90 return for flights (and we only booked them two months ago). Hotel is £80 each for 4 nights - we could have done that cheaper too had we booked earlier and we also had to find somewhere that could fit 15 of us that late on. 

I'd start with what cities the airport you want to fly out of goes too - pretty obvious i know but I'm assuming you're looking to go over a weekend, so this'll start to reduce the destinations, then you'll be able to figure out which seem more interesting than others.

Been on a stag doo to Bremen (Friday to Monday flights out of Edinburgh) and did football Saturday and the Sunday, plus the Saturday night out in Hamburg - would recommend it. Also depending on when you're going, we did Stuttgart this April, which is when the Frühlingsfest is on - its the Spring Festival, a bit like Oktoberfest, again would recommend it

As said, pretty much any German city will have enough to keep your interest, with Poland probably a very close second.

Edited by DeeRus

On 5/29/2016 at 1:48 PM, Angus_Young said:

Would you consider a music festival or such like? Benicassim can be done relatively cheaply.   I went to Snowbombing (Austria) a couple of years back for a Stag and it was superb. 

I assume you aren't looking at some shitty resort in the sun as an option? That's what my brother wanted for his so we are going to Lloret De Mar next Fri-Mon. £300 all inclusive, including transfers.  I've no doubt the place will be a bit of a dump, but beer in the sun with a strip of bars is pretty much all they are looking for.

A bunch of my school mates booked a villa together for our 40th year birthday bash in Lloret.  We tied it in with the Spanish Grand Prix, great week, Lloret isnt as bad as you think and had plenty bars and clubs.  Its easy to get to Barcelona via the train as well, so adds another dimension.