14th may 1983 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, tangerinetartan said:

Canna believe it's been 33 years since that glorious day at dens ,just watched it again  oh happy days the crowd was 29,106 ing amazing

Said the same thing this morning. 33 years! Where did they go. Watching team today why did Murray not play more along with a few of these youngsters. We actually looked decent going forward but first job for McKinnon is to sort out defence

Was privileged to be there in the main stand enclosure with my mate Tommy. Wonderful memories. Like sardines in a tin inside that enclosure and absolute bedlam after the goals and full time. One of those occasions you just don't appreciate fully because you assume there are more to come. Great day. 

4 hours ago, Rossy said:

A fine United side.

Only won the league though because Aberdeen had bigger things on their mind.

Ha ha very good rossy. Only won it because we were the best team in the league that year - but I confess I appreciated Aberdeen too. Some great football on offer then. 

6 hours ago, Rossy said:

A fine United side.

Only won the league though because Aberdeen had bigger things on their mind.

Won the league because they got the most points against really stiff opposition. I mean, even Dundee were good that year. 

2 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Was privileged to be there in the main stand enclosure with my mate Tommy. Wonderful memories. Like sardines in a tin inside that enclosure and absolute bedlam after the goals and full time. One of those occasions you just don't appreciate fully because you assume there are more to come. Great day. 

I was right down the front of the enclosure.  My Dad was crammed in somewhere at the back.  Was on the pitch at full time for my one and only pitch invasion, then waited back afterwards for the players to sign my programme.  12 year old - my wee boy is nearly the same age now and he'll ever see is at best third place and maybe maybe an occasional cup win...

Right after we beat Bayern in the quarter final and Waterschei in the semi, we ridiculously lost st home to both St Mirren and United.

I think it's entirely reasonable to say that without Europe, we'd have won both games. Aberdeen were clearly the best team in Scotland in 1983.

I'm happy though, to give United the consolation prize for that season. :ok:

31 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I was right down the front of the enclosure.  My Dad was crammed in somewhere at the back.  Was on the pitch at full time for my one and only pitch invasion, then waited back afterwards for the players to sign my programme.  12 year old - my wee boy is nearly the same age now and he'll ever see is at best third place and maybe maybe an occasional cup win...

Aye we are very lucky Adam. I coukd hardly move - our end was rammed - i remember looking to the right and seeing utd fans spilling into the provost Rd end - more and more tangerine flags going up. Amazing scenes. I nearly got to the pitch at theend but the Dundee fans charged if i remember rightly and I think at that point I decided to stay put. 

35 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Right after we beat Bayern in the quarter final and Waterschei in the semi, we ridiculously lost st home to both St Mirren and United.

I think it's entirely reasonable to say that without Europe, we'd have won both games. Aberdeen were clearly the best team in Scotland in 1983.

I'm happy though, to give United the consolation prize for that season. :ok:

If it makes it easier for you to deal with rossy then that's fine. Either way, what i what I would give for a utd (and Aberdeen) team with the class of 1983.

30 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Aberdeen beating Celtic 3 times out of 4 was a big factor just as Utd taking points off Celtic in 1980 helped Aberdeen to the title. 

A good example of why this year for Aberdeen to have stood a chance you needed 3/4 other teams  capable of taking points off Celtic more than once.

As a young lad at that time I used to go to games v the old firm expecting to win, however games v Utd were much more nervy affairs.

Loved games at Tannadice on that steep terrace by the side of the pitch. Games at Pittodrie were invariably dull and hard fought. 

40 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Either way, what i what I would give for a utd (and Aberdeen) team with the class of 1983.

True :ok:

25 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

Loved games at Tannadice on that steep terrace by the side of the pitch. Games at Pittodrie were invariably dull and hard fought. 

Yinited were always better team at Pittodrie than at Tannadice. 

Away games suited their negative pass-back style of football.

8 hours ago, Rossy said:

:lol: I'll assume that's tongue in cheek rossy. The utd side of 83 could never be accuse of that! Bannon, Milne, sturrock? Don't think they even knew how to! 

11 hours ago, Rossy said:

Aye your right there rossy 90 goals in 36 games ,boring stuff it was