Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

55 minutes ago, Rossy said:

It's not that, it's the fact that every single Rangers fan has been swearing blind that the club won't spend silly money, they won't speculate to accumulate etc etc.

Turns out they, well, are. 

500 grand a year to a kid. And Rangers have only just started.

Let's hope this is the beginning of Bankruptcy (the sequel).

Every single fan? About as nonsensical as your last one on.the subject, which I think was that Rangers fans would demand that this would happen, which is obviously a bit different, and also incorrect anyway. 

There is only one man who pledged to spend, and that's King. Ive said before, I'm happy with the progress being made, but I appreciate the doubts. I suppose we really will find out once and for all if he is the real deal, if this is the wages we are paying for a rated, but unproven boy of 19. 

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

It's not that, it's the fact that every single Rangers fan has been swearing blind that the club won't spend silly money, they won't speculate to accumulate etc etc.

36,000 season ticket holders last season. Let's assume they, and only they, renew. My ST has gone up 90 quid since promotion so, and again this is a rough guesstimation, let's use that as a benchmark, that equates to additional revenue of £3.24m. Plus extra TV cash, hospitality etc etc. We can afford to push the boat out a wee bit.

Furthermore, IF media reports are to be believed, we have acquired a considerable 7 figure sum player (Rossiter) for £250k plus £10k/week. If he succeeds, we sell him on. All clubs would be attracted by a deal like that. Either criticise us for buying ancient shite or promising youth. I know what I prefer.

Very basically, we have more fans than most therefore we can afford to spend more than most. I don't have a problem with the figures being bandied about as long as it fits within our budget. £250k for two players of the supposed quality of Rossiter and Barton should be applauded not scoffed at. We are finally (in the case of the former anyway) acquiring sellable assets. Barton would be an incongruity in terms of Warburton's signings, but we need experience so it makes sense on a one-off type basis.

Edited by thewolf_1980

3 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

36,000 season ticket holders last season. Let's assume they, and only they, renew. My ST has gone up 90 quid since promotion so, and again this is a rough guesstimation, let's use that as a benchmark, that equates to additional revenue of £3.24m. Plus extra TV cash, hospitality etc etc. We can afford to push the boat out a wee bit.

Furthermore, IF media reports are to be believed, we have acquired a considerable 7 figure sum player (Rossiter) for £250k plus £10k/week. If he succeeds, we sell him on. All clubs would be attracted by a deal like that. Either criticise us for buying ancient shite or promising youth. I know what I prefer.

Very basically, we have more fans than most therefore we can afford to spend more than most. I don't have a problem with the figures being bandied about as long as it fits within our budget. £250k for two players of the supposed quality of Rossiter and Barton should be applauded not scoffed at.

Aye, fair enough.

Looking forward to the 'sequel' all the same.... ;)

41 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Very basically, we have more fans than most therefore we can afford to spend more than most. I don't have a problem with the figures being bandied about as long as it fits within our budget. £250k for two players of the supposed quality of Rossiter and Barton should be applauded not scoffed at. We are finally (in the case of the former anyway) acquiring sellable assets. Barton would be an incongruity in terms of Warburton's signings, but we need experience so it makes sense on a one-off type basis.

What raises eyebrows (well mine at least) is not the fee - I can see that for a club with nearly 40k st holders that is not much of a gamble in itself but the reported 10k a week - 4 year deal is it? That's a £2m contract. Barton I think it would be safe to assume will be at least double that in weekly wages if not more given what he'd get down south.

That would suggest that wages for new players and contract renewals are going to be in that vicinity - not all that far removed from what was being paid before. Fans will be hoping the sums add up this time. Maybe the lack of big fees (so far) is why substantial wages can be paid. 

11 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

What raises eyebrows (well mine at least) is not the fee - I can see that for a club with nearly 40k st holders that is not much of a gamble in itself but the reported 10k a week - 4 year deal is it? That's a £2m contract. Barton I think it would be safe to assume will be at least double that in weekly wages if not more given what he'd get down south.

That would suggest that wages for new players and contract renewals are going to be in that vicinity - not all that far removed from what was being paid before. Fans will be hoping the sums add up this time. Maybe the lack of big fees (so far) is why substantial wages can be paid. 

£2m contract for Rossiter but, I assume, the thinking is he could be (and, if the media is to be believed - which is obviously dubious - is already) worth more than that. If we spend £2.25m overall for a player that COULD be worth more than that, then that's a smart deal. Some will work in those terms, others won't, but it's a damn sight more acceptable and understandable than signing Emilson Cribari and Ian shitting Black.

Joey Barton is, as I said, different and unlike Warburton's usual signings so on a one-off, it's ok.

Edited by thewolf_1980

2 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

£2m contract for Rossiter but, I assume, the thinking is he could be (and, if the media is to be believed - which is obviously dubious - is already) worth more than that. If we spend £2.25m overall for a player that COULD be worth more than that, then that's a smart deal. Some will work in those terms, others won't, but it's a damn sight more acceptable and understandable than signing Emilson Cribari and Ian Black.

Joey Barton is, as I said, different and unlike Warburton's usual signings so on a one-off, it's ok.

I get the buy/sign and sell on theory - that goes for every player at every club - I don't think however that clubs go into these deals (well apart from Dundee in the Bonnetti days)  thinking its a sure thing. Loss of form, injuries or just running the contract down are all things that can happen which can result in a poor or zero payback. 

I can also see and agree why its better to pay this sort of money to a player with his reported abilities than an Ian Black type who was never ever worth that.  Time will tell I suppose. Also agree on Barton being different and would say that one seems more odd and questionable.

Should be fun. (Decent signing btw).

Just seen that Barton stated in the past that he was a Celtic fan.

quite an enclave getting built over at Murray Park.

Edited by giblet

4 hours ago, Rossy said:

Getting Templeton off the wage bill will more or less pay for Rossiter. Getting him, Shiels, Law, Bell and Clark off the wage bill would probably allow us to put a bid in for Messi. 

3 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Every single fan? About as nonsensical as your last one on.the subject, which I think was that Rangers fans would demand that this would happen, which is obviously a bit different, and also incorrect anyway. 

Every single Rangers fan  that posts regularly on here has been vociferous in saying that the club won't blow big cash, won't speculate to accumulate etc etc.

Turns out to be utter pish, because that's exactly what Rangers are doing.

2 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Sounds like exactly, exactly what Rangers fans were saying 5 years ago. 

I dinnae give a shit that Rangers are blowing huge amounts of cash. Just dinnae give us all the shite about your club actually having learnbed a lesson. 

I think we'll only be able to tell whether this is a return to profligate ways at the end of Gers spending spree.  We don't know the exact terms of Rossiiter's deal and if we do get Barton it will be to add a bit of experience just as Warburton was linked to Eustace last year.  From a footballing point of view Barton would add also add a bit of bite to the midfield.  So far Warburton's transfer dealings have been a whole lot better than the previous regime, that won't mean he always gets it right but his record so far and at Brentford gives me cnfidence that he knows what he's doing.

37 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Every single Rangers fan  that posts regularly on here has been vociferous in saying that the club won't blow big cash, won't speculate to accumulate etc etc.

Turns out to be utter pish, because that's exactly what Rangers are doing.

Sounds like exactly, exactly what Rangers fans were saying 5 years ago. 

I dinnae give a shit that Rangers are blowing huge amounts of cash. Just dinnae give us all the shite about your club actually having learnbed a lesson. 

Well that's a lot of pish for a start. If you look back to the first page of this thread, I actually agreed with you that we would very possible spend big money. Where exactly is that being 'vociferous' that we won't? 

In this thread you have said:

'Rangers fans will demand that the club compete with Celtic straight away ' (implying that we want them to spend irresponsibly to do so)

And you are now saying:

'every single Rangers fan has been swearing blind that the club won't spend silly money, they won't speculate to accumulate etc etc'

So which is it? 

BTW the 'speculate to accumulate' is a new one on me. I dont think I've seen one single Gers fan on here say that, although happy to be proved wrong. Signing young potential with a Hope to developing them,  then selling on at a profit is exactly what we SHOULD be doing, instead of signing over the hill, useless journeymen as the previous regime seemed to favour. I would imagine fans of most clubs would agree with that approach, including ours,  so really not sure where that's come from? 

Edited by Angus_Young

8 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Well that's a lot of pish for a start. If you look back to the first page of this thread, I actually agreed with you that we would very possible spend big money. Where exactly is that being 'vociferous' that we won't? 

In this thread you have said:

'Rangers fans will demand that the club compete with Celtic straight away ' (implying that we want them to spend irresponsibly to do so)

And you are now saying:

'every single Rangers fan has been swearing blind that the club won't spend silly money, they won't speculate to accumulate etc etc'

So which is it? 

BTW the 'speculate to accumulate' is a new one on me. I dont think I've seen one single Gers fan on here say that, although happy to be proved wrong. Signing young potential with a Hope to developing them,  then selling on at a profit is exactly what we SHOULD be doing, instead of signing over the hill, useless journeymen as the previous regime seemed to favour. I would imagine fans of most clubs would agree with that approach, including ours,  so really not sure where that's come from? 

You seem to be agreeing with me. 

Maybe we're simply coming from a different perspective, where I believe that paying 10 to 20 grand a week on player's wages and God knows how much on transfer fees is madness, and you don't. 

Fact is, my point(and the point of many others) has been proved. Despite the denials of Rangers fans, your club is doing exactly the same as it always has....spending huge amounts of cash in a desperate need to buy success. 

Please stop saying that it's actually otherwise. 

I'm agreeing that the club will spend money and always have, really not sure where you get that from? I'm disagreeing that every one of us (the fans) denied it would a) happen and/or B) that we demanded it should. Obviously you think both are true which is strange given they completely contradict each other. 

Re: these two signings, Barton would be free if it pushes through, Rossiter is a development fee of around £200K. The wages of both are big. Do I think it's madness? Aye I do, if we can't afford it. If we can, then I'm happy with both. Perhaps the lack of a transfer fee is why the club have decided to pay the wage demands. Perhaps the potential sell on fee of Rossiter is a factor. Perhaps, by signing players like Barton the club are hoping to see us challenge for group stage spots in Europe in the next 2-3 seasons, which brings obvious returns. Perhaps guys will be moved on in the summer. Bottom line is I'm not privy to every detail when it comes to the clubs finances and/or the transfer policy and neither are you. 

Dave King has said all of the right things regarding investment. I've said repeatedly (although you somehow know different) that I'm happy with the progress but that he still has promises to fulfill and as such the jury is still out. Bottom line is, with signings like this  there really isn't any hiding place. Time will tell if you'll get your wish. 

27 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

I'm agreeing that the club will spend money and always have, really not sure where you get that from? I'm disagreeing that every one of us (the fans) denied it would a) happen and/or B) that we demanded it should. Obviously you think both are true which is strange given they completely contradict each other. 

Re: these two signings, Barton would be free if it pushes through, Rossiter is a development fee of around £200K. The wages of both are big. Do I think it's madness? Aye I do, if we can't afford it. If we can, then I'm happy with both. Perhaps the lack of a transfer fee is why the club have decided to pay the wage demands. Perhaps the potential sell on fee of Rossiter is a factor. Perhaps, by signing players like Barton the club are hoping to see us challenge for group stage spots in Europe in the next 2-3 seasons, which brings obvious returns. Perhaps guys will be moved on in the summer. Bottom line is I'm not privy to every detail when it comes to the clubs finances and/or the transfer policy and neither are you. 

Dave King has said all of the right things regarding investment. I've said repeatedly (although you somehow know different) that I'm happy with the progress but that he still has promises to fulfill and as such the jury is still out. Bottom line is, with signings like this  there really isn't any hiding place. Time will tell if you'll get your wish. 

The lack of a transfer fee ? (sorry to pick on just one aspect of your post).

200K is more than any other non-SPFL club can afford to pay on player. One of your fellow fans described him as a 'million pound player'.....which he obviously is n't. He's a 200K player. Good to see the quantum leap in valuation as a way to justify huge wages. 

You've also...I presume unwittingly....given the definition of 'speculate to accumulate'in your post. 

'Hoping to see us challenge for group stage spots in Europe in 2-3 years'.

Non-Rangers fans have said that your club will spend big this summer. Many Rangers fans denied that would happen. Call it what you want.....sensible accumulation, reckless, spending to accumulate, predictable, etc etc.

It has a sense of deja vu. Take of that what you want.

Edited by Rossy

3 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Who slaughtered him for not spending?

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Flick through the Rangers in Crisis thread. Plenty of examples in there. 

I did cos he hasn't. I've missed the thread on this - is king funding this out of his own pocket? 

3 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

£2m contract for Rossiter but, I assume, the thinking is he could be (and, if the media is to be believed - which is obviously dubious - is already) worth more than that. If we spend £2.25m overall for a player that COULD be worth more than that, then that's a smart deal. Some will work in those terms, others won't, but it's a damn sight more acceptable and understandable than signing Emilson Cribari and Ian shitting Black.

This is correct but is itnota gamble with a player with a serious history of injuries? 

13 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The lack of a transfer fee ? (sorry to pick on just one aspect of your post).

200K is more than any other non-SPFL club can afford to pay on player. One of your fellow fans described him as a 'million pound player'.....which he obviously is n't. He's a 200K player. Good to see the quantum leap in valuation as a way to justify huge wages. 

You've also...I presume unwittingly....given the definition of 'speculate to accumulate'in your post. 

'Hoping to see us challenge for group stage spots in Europe in 2-3 years'.

Non-Rangers fans have said that your club will spend big this summer. Many Rangers fans denied that would happen. Call it what you want.....sensible accumulation, reckless, spending to accumulate, predictable, etc etc.

It has a sense of deja vu. Take of that what you want.

It really all hinges on what you define big as. You appear to think any transfer fee is big spending.

Angus obviously disagrees, as do I.

Wolfie gave you a nice clear bit of maths to show that our extra season ticket covers both signings roughly. And that doesn't include the fact we are getting rid of Templeton,  Law, Shiels, Bell and Clark who are all on ridiculous wages. In fact if the stories are to be believed we can cover Rossiter and Bartons wages with the money saved on the duds above.

Having said that I'd prefer not to sign Barton and 10k a week is too much for Rossiter, in my opinion. 

Your assertion we're just splurging big is patent nonsense and very possibly just pure jealousy.

5 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Your assertion we're just splurging big is patent nonsense and very possibly just pure jealousy.

Nope.I support a club that hasn't been humiliated  through financial ignorance.

As I've said, I do not care if your club dies again because of rank arrogance and stupidity.

Your club is doing the same as it's always done.