Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 301 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

1 hour ago, slasher said:

The deal for Forster was fee agreed and the player happy with the financials. Looks like he's pulled the plug himself after being offered a shot at making himself first choice down there. Disappointing but there are plenty of decent (probably) cheaper alternatives out there 🙅‍♂️

I'm not that fussed to be honest. He's a great shot stopper undoubtedly but his distribution, his command of the box, his indecision all still persist and don't seem to have improved in the last few years.

I'd also take that he was happy to come up on terms agreed with a pinch of salt, he'll have been on a fortune at Southampton.

If we had the cash we should be asking Copenhagen about taking their keeper, he was excellent in both games against, could do everything.

13 minutes ago, Mox said:

I'm not that fussed to be honest. He's a great shot stopper undoubtedly but his distribution, his command of the box, his indecision all still persist and don't seem to have improved in the last few years.

I'd also take that he was happy to come up on terms agreed with a pinch of salt, he'll have been on a fortune at Southampton.

If we had the cash we should be asking Copenhagen about taking their keeper, he was excellent in both games against, could do everything.

It's not too hard to imagine he would be happy with what we were offering really. It's circa 70k a week for 2 years vs whatever we came up with most likely on a 4 or 5 year deal. An extra 2 or 3 years security at a club he knows and somewhere he is valued? The opportunity to stay on the premiership gravy train and maybe get back in the mix for England are pretty big carrots however. Anyway I wish him well, he was excellent for us 👍 

As for a new keeper there are quite a few good options that would cost us less and hopefully we won't hang around now we know this deal is dead. 

16 minutes ago, slasher said:

It's not too hard to imagine he would be happy with what we were offering really. It's circa 70k a week for 2 years vs whatever we came up with most likely on a 4 or 5 year deal. An extra 2 or 3 years security at a club he knows and somewhere he is valued? The opportunity to stay on the premiership gravy train and maybe get back in the mix for England are pretty big carrots however. Anyway I wish him well, he was excellent for us 👍 

As for a new keeper there are quite a few good options that would cost us less and hopefully we won't hang around now we know this deal is dead. 

Is the deal for Forster absolutely dead now Slasher? Just reading newsnow this morning...

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Mark Gillespie that left Motherwell has signed for Newcastle.

I think Celtic could do worse than either of our keepers from last season.

They looked at Carson before his illness.

Ive just noticed Wigan have gone into administration so we'll probably be looking at an Arthur Daley type cheapie for Marshall now 🙄

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Ive just noticed Wigan have gone into administration so we'll probably be looking at an Arthur Daley type cheapie for Marshall now 🙄

Think his family still stay in Bothwell? Probably be a good fit for everyone...

I can’t believe nobody has snapped up St Mirren keeper Hladky since he rejected a new contract and left the club.

Best keeper we’ve had in the last 20 years, rumours he was going to Rangers, but thats obviously dead in the water now they’ve signed back up for McGregor.

53 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Jake Hastie on loan to Motherwell apparently.

Not that keen on developing him further for Rangers after him running down his contract at Motherwell to go there on the cheap.

I don’t think you’ll be developing him for Rangers. I’ll stick my neck out and say I doubt he’ll make 50+  appearances for Rangers. 

8 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I can’t believe nobody has snapped up St Mirren keeper Hladky since he rejected a new contract and left the club.

Best keeper we’ve had in the last 20 years, rumours he was going to Rangers, but thats obviously dead in the water now they’ve signed back up for McGregor.

I only seen him a handful of times but was really good each time.

Guest ElChris04

Getting strongly linked with david marshall if the fraser forster deal is dead in the water i would happily take marshall for celtic as our number 1.

7 clean sheets in his last 7 games. And all round been a breath of fresh air for wigan and a reliable figure for scotland. 

Much rather someone like marshall than the likes of joe hart who we have also been linked with and has been in huge decline for years.  Aswell as many of our internationals in the celtic team it would be good to see someone like marshall link up with them and have a positive impact on understand more how certain players of ours players play like mcgregor,forrest,christie,griffiths etc.

giving the form marshall is in, I hope we make the sensible and smart decision and not the expensive gamble of such a vital season. 

20 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Papers seem to sugget he was mulling over a number of offers. I doubt he will be a free agent come the start of the next season.

The local paper down here in Southampton has Forster as the main Saints headline today. 

Seemingly, he will be offered the chance to return.

Is that because Hasenhuttl likes the look of him? Is it because Forster's allegedly on 80K per week and we can't shift him? Could Saints play him in the remaining matches (not sure if we can) just to put him in the shop window?

Whatever the reason, I have - for a long time - thought Forster is the best of the three keepers currently signed to Southampton and I'd happily see him in the 1st team again.

Gunn and McCarthy? I don't think either of them are anything special and for me, there is very little between them.