Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 299 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

For example, Killie regularly beat Rangers.

I'm not going to then say we're capable of competing with them over a season, as Rangers have better players.

Exact same with Celtic & Rangers, can maybe occasionally compete over 90 mins but miles off other than that as the cups shows. Rangers can barely get to Hampden, never mind consistently to finals, never mind winning stuff.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

For example, Killie regularly beat Rangers.

I'm not going to then say we're capable of competing with them over a season, as Rangers have better players.

Exact same with Celtic & Rangers, can maybe occasionally compete over 90 mins but miles off other than that as the cups shows. Rangers can barely get to Hampden, never mind consistently to finals, never mind winning stuff.

That will change this year.  Mark my words.  Rangers are gearing up to be the champions again.  Paddy Power have already paid out 😃

Dons have offered Hayes a deal. Sounds like there's a short validity period on the offer which suggests we are trying to get him to make a quick decision to join us before the enhanced English offers come piling in.

With respect to the McKenna to Celtic rumour - he was slow to come back from injury but did start playing well again next to Taylor.  Perhaps a negative but he needs someone decent next to him it would appear - he didn't like playing next to Bates for Scotland. I can't see us taking less than £3m as he will be worth that again when fit.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:22 AM, Tiny Tim said:

Huge effort? Besides Hagi (who’s had no real impact since he joined) and the boy from Leicester (who I’ve not really heard of) who else have they signed?

For a while it looked like Morelos had sorted his act out and was one player that could get them closer to Celtic. But he showed he had no bottle and sulked at the time they needed him. They need to get rid of him but any value that he had will have gone right down now.

I think you need to prepare yourself for Celtic titles beyond ten because your team are a long way off.

Young boy from Ross County who Liverpool were after now.  It keeps rolling (if you pardon the pun).

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That and double digits in points before it was even April.

Rangers are miles behind Celtic in terms of squad depth and starting 11.

Our form post xmas was horrific and I don't think anyone could see it coming.

Up until xmas, we were up there and really should have won the LC.  Our issue is consistency and not having a way to break down teams which Celtic can do.  

It's all about opinions obviously.

40 minutes ago, Debian said:

Our form post xmas was horrific and I don't think anyone could see it coming.

Up until xmas, we were up there and really should have won the LC.  Our issue is consistency and not having a way to break down teams which Celtic can do.  

It's all about opinions obviously.

Consistency & Morelos’s petulance cost you any chance after Xmas.

21 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Consistency & Morelos’s petulance cost you any chance after Xmas.

Relying too heavily on Morelos was also a factor.  We conceded the same amount of goals as Celtic but scored something like 25 less.  Once Morelos went off the boil we didn't have goals coming from anywhere else in the team.  Didn't help that Defoe was injured but it's the major thing that needs addressed prior to the new season and he needs to find away for getting an extra 15-20 goals from the midfield and other forwards.  Kent needs to seriously get his finger out his arse this year and justify the hype and the price.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Relying too heavily on Morelos was also a factor.  We conceded the same amount of goals as Celtic but scored something like 25 less.  Once Morelos went off the boil we didn't have goals coming from anywhere else in the team.  Didn't help that Defoe was injured but it's the major thing that needs addressed prior to the new season and he needs to find away for getting an extra 15-20 goals from the midfield and other forwards.  Kent needs to seriously get his finger out his arse this year and justify the hype and the price.

Still dont like the 1 up front system. Imagine if Defoe and morelos played together.  But naw. Modern coaches only have one. Ridiculous imo. Hately and mccoist spring to mind.

Rangers consistently played with 2 and sometimes 3 centre midfielders who are defensive or rarely score.  I think this was a major difference when it came to playing teams who sit in and make it hard to create chances. Rangers would reguarly go 1 up and control the game but that always gives the other team hope. Celtic on the other hand are able to kill off teams when making the breakthrough.

If Rangers played with just Jack sitting and played the likes of Hagi and Aribo beside / in front of him then I think they would pose much more of an attacking threat without being more vulnerable at the back. This would be similar in style to Celtic with McGreggor and Christie in front of Brown.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Rangers consistently played with 2 and sometimes 3 centre midfielders who are defensive or rarely score.  I think this was a major difference when it came to playing teams who sit in and make it hard to create chances. Rangers would reguarly go 1 up and control the game but that always gives the other team hope. Celtic on the other hand are able to kill off teams when making the breakthrough.

If Rangers played with just Jack sitting and played the likes of Hagi and Aribo beside / in front of him then I think they would pose much more of an attacking threat without being more vulnerable at the back. This would be similar in style to Celtic with McGreggor and Christie in front of Brown.

Why not play with two up front?

8 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Why not play with two up front?

You could do but very few teams do it nowadays as it makes controlling the midfield much harder. IMO Rangers would create less chances with Moreles and Defoe playing together. Teams would pack the midfield and sit deep. 

Playing a 433 with attacking full backsand only 1 holding mid means 6/7 attacking players at any given time. 

Celtic have shown how playing 1 up top with wingers, attacking full backs and 2 creative midfielders works well against teams who sit but also allows them to be solid defensively. 

The only time id switch to 442 is if I had a target man who Moreles, and the wingers could work off.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

You could do but very few teams do it nowadays as it makes controlling the midfield much harder. IMO Rangers would create less chances with Moreles and Defoe playing together. Teams would pack the midfield and sit deep. 

Playing a 433 with attacking full backsand only 1 holding mid means 6/7 attacking players at any given time. 

Celtic have shown how playing 1 up top with wingers, attacking full backs and 2 creative midfielders works well against teams who sit but also allows them to be solid defensively. 

The only time id switch to 442 is if I had a target man who Moreles, and the wingers could work off.

Football is a simple game.  You play your best players. Simple. I coach a young team and wont be looking at the Largs examples.  I will let the laddies play and express themselves.  Scotland has been coached out of football and tournaments for too long.  Roxburgh, Brown and Levein.  They have you believing it too.  You play your best players in whatever system you want.

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Football is a simple game.  You play your best players. Simple. I coach a young team and wont be looking at the Largs examples.  I will let the laddies play and express themselves.  Scotland has been coached out of football and tournaments for too long.  Roxburgh, Brown and Levein.  They have you believing it too.  You play your best players in whatever system you want.

Football is not a simple game hence why all the best nations / teams have an entire workforce working on all sorts of nutrition, data and tactics analysis.

You can stick all your best players out at youth level and they will win because other youth team players wont deploy or implement proper tactics. But as soon as they reach an age where teams can do that you will find your best players not getting the results you think they should.

Why do you think managers like Mourinho and Guardiola have changed the game? Its their attention to detail and ability to create tactical opportunities whilst not givin them away.

The days of just sticking players out and telling them to play their own game are long gone my friend.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Football is not a simple game hence why all the best nations / teams have an entire workforce working on all sorts of nutrition, data and tactics analysis.

You can stick all your best players out at youth level and they will win because other youth team players wont deploy or implement proper tactics. But as soon as they reach an age where teams can do that you will find your best players not getting the results you think they should.

Why do you think managers like Mourinho and Guardiola have changed the game? Its their attention to detail and ability to create tactical opportunities whilst not givin them away.

The days of just sticking players out and telling them to play their own game are long gone my friend.

Football is about scoring goals.  That is why there are two nets.  Not about holding mid or whatever you want to call it.  It is about scoring goals.  Dalgish and Jordan never bothered about that pish.  They just played their own game.  So.  Am I wrong?  We haven't qualified for over 20 years?

Rangers both over achieved and under achieved in the same season. 2019 form was better than expected, 2020 form was worse, overall, the league table is correct, better than the rest, but not at Celtics level.

Apart from McGregor in goal and Barisic at LB, I don't think any other Rangers player gets close to being in Celtics team IMO.

28 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Football is about scoring goals.  That is why there are two nets.  Not about holding mid or whatever you want to call it.  It is about scoring goals.  Dalgish and Jordan never bothered about that pish.  They just played their own game.  So.  Am I wrong?  We haven't qualified for over 20 years?

So why play with a gk or defenders then. Surely going by your logic 3 forwards would be better than 2. 4 better than 3 etc etc.

Football isnt about scoring goals. Its about scoring at least 1 more than you concede. 

To do that you need to create chances whilst limiting the opposition to chances. Formations need to be flexible. I imagine thats why variations of 433 have become the norm as they allow 2 extra men both in attack and defence whilst keeping the centre of the park populated.

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Before I go.  What was the Aberdeen formation when they won the cup winners cup?

Thats like saying what was the fighter plane the last time Briton won a war so lets go back to the spitfire. 

Life evolves and if you dont evolve with it you are left behind. Which is why we have not quaified. Dalglish etc all ate chips and burgers and put on 2 stone over the summer. Should we be getting our players to do that aswell?

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thats like saying what was the fighter plane the last time Briton won a war so lets go back to the spitfire. 

Life evolves and if you dont evolve with it you are left behind. Which is why we have not quaified. Dalglish etc all ate chips and burgers and put on 2 stone over the summer. Should we be getting our players to do that aswell?

Football is all about scoring goals ma pal.  Its a simple game.  This has been coached out of our young laddies for too long.  The proof is always in the pudding.