Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 256 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

34 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Half that would still be expensive. He's a good player for up here but he's not worth £12m. 

22 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

For the market he's likely to be sold in he is.

Aye, a top end championship club will pay that sort of money to take him from Liverpool, but he could set Scotland alight next season and not increase his value. Not a worthwhile gamble, as best case he does well and you recoup the money and get a year or 2 from him. Worst case he doesn’t improve his consistency, starts picking up injuries and is worthless in 18 months time.

Villa spent £12million on Ross Mccormack less than 2 years ago, and he couldn’t get in the Motherwell side.

Was just hearing on the radio Andy Carroll is on £100k a week and played once this season, and they’re talking about a new contract!

:shocked:

Loans or out of contract players are the only realistic signings coming from the EPL.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, a top end championship club will pay that sort of money to take him from Liverpool, but he could set Scotland alight next season and not increase his value. Not a worthwhile gamble, as best case he does well and you recoup the money and get a year or 2 from him. Worst case he doesn’t improve his consistency, starts picking up injuries and is worthless in 18 months time.

Villa spent £12million on Ross Mccormack less than 2 years ago, and he couldn’t get in the Motherwell side.

Was just hearing on the radio Andy Carroll is on £100k a week and played once this season, and they’re talking about a new contract!

:shocked:

Loans or out of contract players are the only realistic signings coming from the EPL.

I think you might have misunderstood my post.  If he's valued at £12M we won't be buying him.  If he's valued at half of that we won't be buying him.  I reckon the most we would be paying would be £3M and even then it's way too much for us to be spending on one player (unless we get £10M+ in for Morelos which is seeming more and more unlikely with each passing day).

However looking at what he's contributed up here this season and the crazy money they pay for players down there then assuming he'll be sold to another English club, £12M seems a more than reasonable figure.

19 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I think you might have misunderstood my post.  If he's valued at £12M we won't be buying him.  If he's valued at half of that we won't be buying him.  I reckon the most we would be paying would be £3M and even then it's way too much for us to be spending on one player (unless we get £10M+ in for Morelos which is seeming more and more unlikely with each passing day).

However looking at what he's contributed up here this season and the crazy money they pay for players down there then assuming he'll be sold to another English club, £12M seems a more than reasonable figure.

Aye, I was agreeing and reinforcing your point.

Rangers can’t compete in the English market and shouldn’t (and to be fair probably won’t) be trying to.

He’s not worth £12 million to Rangers, but someone will pay it.

30 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, I was agreeing and reinforcing your point.

Rangers can’t compete in the English market and shouldn’t (and to be fair probably won’t) be trying to.

He’s not worth £12 million to Rangers, but someone will pay it.

Agree with this.  I suspect this is why clubs like Motherwell and Aberdeen have to make late transfer window signings.  We have to wait for all the money to be spent and see what's left.

10 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Agree with this.  I suspect this is why clubs like Motherwell and Aberdeen have to make late transfer window signings.  We have to wait for all the money to be spent and see what's left.

Yeah, we’re already out of Europe and 3 games into the league before squads are finalised down south and we can get excess players in on loan.

Hijacking Aberdeen’s bid for Max Lowe and picking up good players that have run their contract down is the level Rangers are at, the same as everyone else really, but able to offer better terms.

Edited by sbcmfc

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, we’re already out of Europe and 3 games into the league before squads are finalised down south and we can get excess players in on loan.

Hijacking Aberdeen’s bid for Max Lowe and picking up good players that have run their contract down is the level Rangers are at, the same as everyone else really, but able to offer better terms.

Indeed.  I think Europe actually hinders our chances of decent signings.  Either we take out eye off the market to travel, or we rush someone in without proper diligence and drop them in the deep end.

As regards Rangers, i said as much a couple of weeks ago.  The only thing i'd add is that some of their recent pre-contract signings are strange.  Hastie, Stewart, the alleged approach for Lowe etc.  All players that do relatively well at other SPFL clubs but won't improve Rangers of raise them above the rest. 

6 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Indeed.  I think Europe actually hinders our chances of decent signings.  Either we take out eye off the market to travel, or we rush someone in without proper diligence and drop them in the deep end.

As regards Rangers, i said as much a couple of weeks ago.  The only thing i'd add is that some of their recent pre-contract signings are strange.  Hastie, Stewart, the alleged approach for Lowe etc.  All players that do relatively well at other SPFL clubs but won't improve Rangers of raise them above the rest. 

Nicky Law, John Daly, David Templeton, Kevin Kyle....

It’s deja vu.

6 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I think one possible reason for Rangers signing Hastie and now chasing Stewart is because of the low amount of Scots in the team and the need to comply with the rules the league and UEFA have on home grown players. Gerrard has probably been advised that if he wants more squad players he'll need to make them Scottish.

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The smack must be strong in Edinburgh this morning.

Don't worry about McGhee. There's another man you have to worry about taking charge at your club.

"Never fear, Yogi's here !"

(pictured here helping the elderly)

45 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I agree with you on Hastie and Stewart but while Barisic continues to be a big shitebag and massive waste of money Lowe would definitely improve our starting XI.

55 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I agree with you on Hastie and Stewart but while Barisic continues to be a big shitebag and massive waste of money Lowe would definitely improve our starting XI.

I was afraid someone might say that.  He won our Player of the Year last night.  Hoping that's enough to convince him to stay with us if he has that option....

48 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I was afraid someone might say that.  He won our Player of the Year last night.  Hoping that's enough to convince him to stay with us if he has that option....

That should have read Players' Player of the Year.

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

That makes more sense. Agree with this. 

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

If Hastie and Stewart replace Coulibaly and whatever the other lad from Liverpool that left early was called then its an improvement. 

And as you say Barisic is made of chocolate. Unless he man's up a bit, he's going to be a wasted Jersey, so Lowe would definitely be better. That and it might mean that Flanagan gets less playing time. 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If Hastie and Stewart replace Coulibaly and whatever the other lad from Liverpool that left early was called then its an improvement. 

And as you say Barisic is made of chocolate. Unless he man's up a bit, he's going to be a wasted Jersey, so Lowe would definitely be better. That and it might mean that Flanagan gets less playing time. 

Davis and/or Kamara replaced Ojaria.  Neither Hastie or Stewart play in the same position as Coulibaliy so while they might replace him in numbers they won't make any difference the starting XI in terms of his position.  Hastie's competition will be Jones, Murphy  and Kent if he's still there.  If we're replacing Kent with Hastie it's a step back.  I'd also expect a fully fit Murphy (and possibly Middleton) to be ahead of Hastie for this season.  I'm not 100% on Stewart's best position but if it's attacking mid then there's no way he gets in ahead of Arfield.  If it's wide right I'm not really sure he gets in ahead of Candieas.

56 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Davis and/or Kamara replaced Ojaria.  Neither Hastie or Stewart play in the same position as Coulibaliy so while they might replace him in numbers they won't make any difference the starting XI in terms of his position.  Hastie's competition will be Jones, Murphy  and Kent if he's still there.  If we're replacing Kent with Hastie it's a step back.  I'd also expect a fully fit Murphy (and possibly Middleton) to be ahead of Hastie for this season.  I'm not 100% on Stewart's best position but if it's attacking mid then there's no way he gets in ahead of Arfield.  If it's wide right I'm not really sure he gets in ahead of Candieas.

Stewart's best position is alongside the bus loading the kit hampers. Fucking dreadful player, slow, predictable ( i.e. you know he is going to cut in and be shite). Absolutely bowfin. 

Despite recently singing a new contract, quite a few Celtic fans seem convinced that Scott Sinclair is off shortly.

He was surprisingly made captain today and Middlesbrough were recently linked with him.

If they do move him on then it will be good business for them, he has been very inconsistent this season and last season plus he is one of Celtic's highest wage earners.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Despite recently singing a new contract, quite a few Celtic fans seem convinced that Scott Sinclair is off shortly.

He was surprisingly made captain today and Middlesbrough were recently linked with him.

If they do move him on then it will be good business for them, he has been very inconsistent this season and last season plus he is one of Celtic's highest wage earners.

Was wondering that myself. Just read rumours he is off. Agreed. He is not the same player he used to be..