Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 238 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

34 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

After being with us for around 2 months Stewart admitted to having had 3 summer holidays and being unfit and out of shape before coming. That most certainly doesn't fit the McInnes ethos.  That said, McInnes refused to play him through the middle and persisted with him out wide.  The results were entirely predictable and McInnes lost faith.  While Stewart wasn't capable to doing the work McInnes expected of a winger, only McInnes will know why he persisted with it and to the detriment of Stewart and us.  It was clear to everyone that Stewart would be best suited up front or just off the front. 

He is exactly what we are now looking for to play the middle role of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1.

Despite being played out of position and being unfit, it was clear Stewart was a player and would be very useful if in shape and in the right place.  Fair play to McInnes he's willing to take his medicine and try Stewart again.  Most unlike him!

Surely he wasn't unfit by the end of the loan though? Being unfit certainly doesn't fit the Clarke ethos either, however he seems to get he best out of players.

Would be surprised if he goes back to Aberdeen but you never know.

54 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would be surprised if he goes back to Aberdeen but you never know.

Unless Aberdeen were going to buy him or pay Birmingham substantially more of his wages doesn’t really seem to make any sense...

From his point of view, Aberdeen won’t be able to match what he’s on at Birmingham, so why would he leave his contract at Birmingham 6 months early?

42 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Stewart has to play through the middle, or a semi free role. He is wasted on the wing. 

When he was at Dens, he looked pretty fucked late in every game, fitness and a lack of speed is what’s held him back imo. 

Totally agree with all of this.

Someone pointed out that he became a full time pro quite late in his career and this may be a factor. 

14 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

You said first time around, which would insinuate the duration of his stay at Aberdeen, which isn't true.

If he was unfit for the full stay I'd be looking towards the management/fitness folk, as he's been nothing but a total pro at Killie, despite not really having a pre season.

13 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You said first time around, which would insinuate the duration of his stay at Aberdeen, which isn't true.

No, nothing like that.

We started very early in Europe that season and he was having trouble keeping up (and as stated, he blamed himself).

16 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Unless Aberdeen were going to buy him or pay Birmingham substantially more of his wages doesn’t really seem to make any sense...

From his point of view, Aberdeen won’t be able to match what he’s on at Birmingham, so why would he leave his contract at Birmingham 6 months early?

It all points towards Brendan Rogers and Celtic "calling in a favour", kinda like they got Klopp and Liverpool to recall Danny Ward from his loan at Aberdeen a year or two ago.

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

It all points towards Brendan Rogers and Celtic "calling in a favour", kinda like they got Klopp and Liverpool to recall Danny Ward from his loan at Aberdeen a year or two ago.

Am I reading this right?  You're saying it looks like Celtic have asked Birmingham to recall Greg Stewart to damage Killie's title bid?

Just now, Fairbairn said:

Am I reading this right?  You're saying it looks like Celtic have asked Birmingham to recall Greg Stewart to damage Killie's title bid?

Yep.

They did the same thing with Danny Ward when Aberdeen were posing a challenge a year or so ago. And strangely enough, back then Klopp said the exact same thing about not particularly wanting Ward back from his loan.

8 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Yep.

They did the same thing with Danny Ward when Aberdeen were posing a challenge a year or so ago. And strangely enough, back then Klopp said the exact same thing about not particularly wanting Ward back from his loan.

Fucking no chance, I doubt we're even on their radar.

From speaking to folk at Killie, he's been recalled solely to get more money out us (or another club) for the remaining 5 months.

Still wouldn't be surprised if he's back at RP.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fucking no chance, I doubt we're even on their radar.

From speaking to folk at Killie, he's been recalled solely to get more money out us (or another club) for the remaining 5 months.

Still wouldn't be surprised if he's back at RP.

In fairness, is it that unbelievable?

We all know how anti-competitive the Old Firm are. I wouldn't put it past them.

Rodgers definitely that had a hand in the Ward recall, though, which is a shame as he was vital for Aberdeen.

50 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Rodgers definitely that had a hand in the Ward recall, though, which is a shame as he was vital for Aberdeen.

Where you getting that from?

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Yep.

53 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think Scotty's hacked your account!! 

4 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Where you getting that from?

I have contacts in publishing and some of them are In football circles. Let's just say they're reliable.

I kinda think it was obvious, though, what with the Liverpool association.

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

I think Scotty's hacked your account!! 

:P

Did no one else join the dots with the Ward-Liverpool-Rodgers thing?

No? OK. I thought it was obvious skullduggery.

26 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I have contacts in publishing and some of them are In football circles. Let's just say they're reliable.

I kinda think it was obvious, though, what with the Liverpool association.

:P

Did no one else join the dots with the Ward-Liverpool-Rodgers thing?

No? OK. I thought it was obvious skullduggery.

So you (your contacts) are saying that Rodgers called Klopp because he was worried about the Aberdeen challenge three seasons ago and had Ward recalled?  Also, you're suggesting he's doing the same with Stewart now.

I think it was more to do with Mignolet and Begovic both being utter sh1t and Klopp looking for another option?  Ward was playing really well at Aberdeen and Klopp was entitled to think he might have filled the gap for the second part of the season.  Also, Birmingham want rid of Stewart who only has 6 months left on his contract, they have taken him back to try and cash in on him.   

I'm struggling to believe that Rodgers would even consider such moves let alone have the ability to convince Klopp and Monk what to do with their own players.

Edited by SMcoolJ

16 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

So you (your contacts) are saying that Rodgers called Klopp because he was worried about the Aberdeen challenge three seasons ago and had Ward recalled?  Also, you're suggesting he's doing the same with Stewart now.

It sounds all so obvious when you put it like that. I can't believe nobody else except Chripper picked up on it.