Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 209 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Adam Rooney has joined Salford City. Great news for AFC. 

Been a great servant for us, wasn’t played a lot last season and when it was, it was out of position. Can’t blame him and thanks for everything. 

ROOOONNNNNEEEEEEYYYYYY

16 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

Aye, we're much better off with our non-scoring strikers instead. 

I suspect, hope even, there was a hint of sarcasm in the post you replied to.

DM better have his magic wand at the ready as the natives are truly nervous,

1 hour ago, mr mojo risin said:

Aye, we're much better off with our non-scoring strikers instead. 

1 hour ago, Redz said:

I suspect, hope even, there was a hint of sarcasm in the post you replied to.

DM better have his magic wand at the ready as the natives are truly nervous,

No sarcasm. We've off loaded a past it player who'll also be one of our top earners. Rumours suggesting were also getting a small fee for him. 

He's been a great player for us but this looks an excellent piece of business, which will hopefully allow us to get in a player who'll contribute far more. 

1 hour ago, mr mojo risin said:

We better be getting a fee for him,  I doubt we'll get someone else who knows where the net is for free. 

Rooney is past it. It's been visible for over 18 months now. I know fans will have an emotional attachment to a player who's done so much for us but getting rid is 100% the right decision. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Rooney is past it. It's been visible for over 18 months now. I know fans will have an emotional attachment to a player who's done so much for us but getting rid is 100% the right decision. 

Possibly, although 18 months of 'past it' is  a little harsh for me. 

He's been ineffectual in a lot (most even) of games he's taken part in last season - Being played out of position / supply / set up / not starting & the weekly tombola will be a huge part in how this looks. Time will tell if it's the right decision, which will be judged solely on us scoring goals / winning games.

We move on though, and my point is that DM needs to have several options (Decent/Proven/In budget)  good to go, and soon.

It's our weakest squad (quantity & quality) for sometime imo. Which is ironic given the AberDNA injection.

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

No sarcasm. We've off loaded a past it player who'll also be one of our top earners. Rumours suggesting were also getting a small fee for him. 

He's been a great player for us but this looks an excellent piece of business, which will hopefully allow us to get in a player who'll contribute far more. 

I wish him well and he was good early in his AFC tenure when he converted all our pens and fed off Hayes and an interested/fit McGinn.  Unfortunately, in the last couple of seasons he's lost all mobility, doesn't challenge well in the air and didn't really contribute anything (perhaps partly due to no service and sometimes being played out of position).  Add to that the fact he wasn't ever the smartest of players, it's definitely time for him to move on.

In other news - Louis Moult rumours gathering momentum......????.

10 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Sad indictment when Rooney goes there. Shows you the cash gulf between Scotland’s 2nd best team and Salford bloody City.  

I'd say it's more a sad indictment of how money is ruining English football.

These guys will get fed up eventually and they'll end up going bust.

Aberdeen will always be a well supported team, with a decent history etc.

English bubble will burst, just might take a wee while for it to happen. Give me Scottish Football any day.

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

English bubble will burst, just might take a wee while for it to happen. Give me Scottish Football any day.

100% agree however we’ve all been thinking it’ll go tits up for a number of years now yet the cash cow keeps mooing. 

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

PS - Rooney couldn't get near the Aberdeen team lately - I think they are glad some mug is willing to pay him that!

Agreed.

Salford have saved us from wasting a heap of money.. Rooney would have been one of our top earners for another two seasons.  I suspect if we'd have wanted to keep him we could have matched the Salford offer.

English football is a mess but it just keeps getting worse with no sign of it ending..

Its been no real secret that McInnes has been trying (and failing miserably) to replace Rooney (almost since the League Cup final....) every season where he will sign one striker and bring in one on loan from England... who will fail to deliver, while Rooney will bang them in while given a chance.

End of the day he is getting no younger and clearly not in managers first team plans (all very similar to Duncan Shearer when he left for ICT) and do not blame him for getting a big pay day down south.

Case of can we replace him... if May can rediscover his St Johnstone form, then we have a replacement already there, but the key word is "IF", and no doubt McInnes is probably already on the hunt for some striker in the English League one or two with some tedious link to ICT.

Edited by wanderer

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

From outside it looks like your squad has weakened quite a bit from last couple of seasons?  

54 minutes ago, giblet said:

From outside it looks like your squad has weakened quite a bit from last couple of seasons?  

Don't know, tbh. I don't know how good Gleeson, Forrester and Ferguson are. Devlin I'm unconvinced on, he'll be doing well to worse than O'Connor though. 

We also need to give Wright, Campbell, Anderson and Ross the chance to fight for a first team squad place  

Losing Rooney doesn't make us weaker. 

Ideally we'll bring in a right sided CB (who can also play RB), a striker, a wide player and a back up goalie. 

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

3 year deal on £4-5 grand a week apparantly.  Salford are spending stupid money in a bid to go straight through the league. 

8 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Still the team's top scorer easily last season wasn't Rooney, even played out of position? Not quite such an inconsequential non entity as sheep fans are making out

It really is. 8 league goals, no doubt some of them pens too. He's past it and doesn't suit us. Glad to get him off the wage bill. 

15 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

And it's nice to see him get a moved to a bigger club.

Given they're 72 years older than your team, I can see why you'd class them as a big club. 

1 hour ago, mcnish said:

Still the team's top scorer easily last season wasn't Rooney, even played out of position? Not quite such an inconsequential non entity as sheep fans are making out

He's horseshit.  Been saying it for two seasons.  Take it from a "sheep fan".