Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 88 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'm not "blaming" anyone. It's a simple fact that Aberdeen are going to be unable to maintain the consistency over the course of a season to finish above Celtic, unless other sides are able to beat Celtic and help us out. 

We're going to have dips in form and some poor performances. Our first team squad last season consisted of about 16 players. One of which we lost in January when Liverpool recalled Danny Ward. We'll have injuries/suspensions/etc that we simply can't cope with. We had to play players out of position or poorer quality alternatives. This is obviously going to lead to us dropping points. 

Anyone slagging Aberdeen for not winning the league is a bit of a simpleton and clearly doesn't understand the massive advantages Celtic have over us. Worst of all, the guy slagging us supports Dundee Utd. What a fecking brassneck he's got! 

I wasn't so much slagging Aberdeen as wondering if Aberdeen supporters accusing Hearts of being underachievers was a bit rich.  

My club are a shambles and a laughing stock at the moment.  And underachieving as well. 

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

Celtic would take half of that if we're being realistic.

Depends on the player. If he fancies it we'd have to accept less. If he's happy to stay we'd get more. He's not worth £40m but there are examples of worse players going for more in that league. 

46 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Why would they?

english clubs spend money and have loads of it. Celtic know this and shouldn't be forced to accept lower fees because of where we play.

It's more the level he's playing at.

£20 million would be great business for a guy that's had half a decent season.

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Depends on the player. If he fancies it we'd have to accept less. If he's happy to stay we'd get more. He's not worth £40m but there are examples of worse players going for more in that league. 

Can you give me an example of "worse players" going for more than £40 million please? 

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's not playing in England though. You wouldn't pay 2-3 mill for Hayes as you'd believe Aberdeen would take a lot less. Celtic are not the big club some think they are nowadays.

Sorry, did not mean to quote you.

@wembley67lisbon I should've quoted.

Edited by Ormond

Just now, Ormond said:

He's not playing in England though. You wouldn't pay 2-3 mill for Hayes as you'd believe Aberdeen would take a lot less. Celtic are not the big club some think they are nowadays.

We are a big club but we have a lot less money than lots of English teams.

What will help us is the recent success of players leaving Celtic Park and doing well in England. Teams will look at Wanyama, VVD, Forster and have a bit more confidence about certain players doing well in England. 

The fact teams were looking at Dembele when he was at Fulham and his France u21 performances will have helped too. 

5 hours ago, Rossy said:

Firstly, that's closer (and just as close) as Hearts got in 2005/06. So the statement that 'Hearts have been closer to winning the league than any other non-OF team' is simply incorrect.

Secondly, you have to look a little bit at the context. In 2005/06 Hearts never, ever got close to Celtic for the last 5 months of the season. There was no challenge as such.

For the last 2 seasons, Aberdeen have been in with a theoretical chance of winning the league with around 5/6 games to go. Both years we've completely run out of puff come April.

In neither of these seasons did we (IMHO) have a squad really capable of winning the league. But the fact that we got so 'close' both times with a much smaller squad than Celtic and having to begin our season in June, is commendable.

P.S. Let's not forget as well that in 2005/06, Hearts literally threw millions at their squad to try and compete. We have Ash Taylor.

Agree, highly commendable. 

3 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Why would they?

english clubs spend money and have loads of it. Celtic know this and shouldn't be forced to accept lower fees because of where we play.

You've answered your own question. They aren't going to give a Scottish team 40m for a player who isn't even the top scorer in the league.

They know that we cant realistically knock back that kind of money. Especially if the player decides he wants to leave. We're a selling club when it comes to the EPL, sadly.

20m is 40 times what we paid for him. I'd love to think we could get more but I'm just being realistic

7 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

What's your source for this? Statements I've saw say an undisclosed fee. What's your thoughts on this signing/fee? 

Just about every media outlet that I've seen has ran with the £250K.  Don't know much about the boy (other than that he can't spell his first name) but he was once highly regarded when at Newcastle so with Gilks going he is maybe worth taking a punt on.  Warburton clearly likes his keepers to play with the ball at their feet so would assume he's seen something in him to suggest that's his style.  In saying that, Foderingham's form this season means Alnwick is unlikely to get off the bench much so with that it mind it may have been a better idea to promote one of the youth keepers to the first team and use that money in parts of the team that warranted it more, like the defence.  Or paying off Senderoff (which is still strengthening the defence!).

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Talksport saying increased bid of £38m for Dembele from Chelsea. 

If Celtic get anywhere near that then fair fcuks. That's some business! 

What it does show is the gross incompetence of the scouting departments at every single EPL side. 

A month ago i'd have been staggered at Celtic getting £10 million for him. So if they get over 3 times that then that's some bit of business for them.

Horrific for Scottish football as a whole though. 

10 minutes ago, macy37 said:

If he goes then at least we'll always have the last ten minutes of the last match v the Huns to remember. He was tremendous that day but the last ten minutes he was utterly brilliant. 

would that GBP 38M give them enough to buy Rangers ? 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What it does show is the gross incompetence of the scouting departments at every single EPL side. 

A month ago i'd have been staggered at Celtic getting £10 million for him. So if they get over 3 times that then that's some bit of business for them.

Horrific for Scottish football as a whole though. 

Yup. Last thing Scottish football needs is Celtic getting more income.  Getting to point where it's not even remotely a sporting contest.