Voting - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Both SNP  

This is/was a really strong Labour Area, still had a Labour MSP ... aand teh green guy is pretty shite.

So Tom Arthur for Renfrewshire South and Nicola for first Minister. 

( dont be surprised if Tories win East Ren) 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very quiet at the polling station at the WGH in Edinburgh this morning, only one other person in there voting. It does seem to have been a very low key campaign, although maybe memories of the referendum distort things a bit. We have only had one canvasser at the door, which was Sandra Boyack. I politely said we were both SNP voters, but my wife (who isn't normally that political) launched into her about how we could end up out of the EU with Boris as PM because of the way they (Labour) cooperated with the Tories at the referendum. Boyack opened her mouth a couple of times as if about to speak (it was a decent goldfish impersonation) and then disappeared quickly up the drive, leaving a minion to deal with my wife, before the minion meekly saw sense and scurried away too. I was genuinely amazed. I don't think Labour establishment figures can actually believe how quickly it has all crumbled down before their very eyes, and they really don't know what to do. 

SNP constituency vote for me, and second vote for the Greens, not least because of our local councillor Nigel Bagshaw who I know a bit and rate very highly.

Edited by Pool Q

There are times when I feel a wee bit sorry for Scottish Labour. I obviously hope they get humped but there is a lot of people working tirelessly hard for that party and it's clear the Scottish electorate just dont have any time for them anymore. Unless they pull a respectable result from nowhere tomorrow (ie: comfortably second), you have to wonder when some inside the party start considering genuinely radical solutions.

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yep - The Rangers Yoons will be out in their droves to vote Tory

Had to laugh at this Billy Boy on the news last night...

JS89003972.jpg

41 minutes ago, stocky said:

( dont be surprised if Tories win East Ren) 

The Labour vote in the Mearns must've taken a hit in the last week!

Just voted, was in two minds who to vote for with my regional vote, was between Greens and SNP, voted SNP in the end. Constituency vote is almost pointless in Dundee East, the SNP won by almost 3:1 in 2011, I expect a similar ratio again.

The SNP hasnt been great in the last term, I hope for a significant improvement. 

Election night viewing wont be that interesting tonight, 2011 and 2015 were magic, this will be a let down.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yep - The Rangers Yoons will be out in their droves to vote Tory

The media has put in a concerted effort into making folk believe the turnout will be low and that there is no point in voting as the SNP are a shoe in

Theres been plenty of twitter activity by the Blue Order ####wits urging tactical voting and warning that the SNP are threat to the Church of Scotland !

Whilst Jeanete Findlay and that pathetic FAC crowd have been urging people to vote Labour and get rid of the "anti-Irish, anti-Catholic SNP". 

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Had to laugh at this Billy Boy on the news last night...

JS89003972.jpg

The Labour vote in the Mearns must've taken a hit in the last week!

I've noticed an interesting thing here in Mearns. Many 16-25 year olds are pro-SNP. Their parents are firmly Labour and the OAPs are Tory.

Barrhead used to be a gold mine of votes for Labour round here but a big chunk of their supporters have either switched to the SNP or passed way.

Even McWhirter now saying that absolute majority's in the Scottish Parliament are exceptional and not to expect one

Might have been a once in a liftetime event since the voting structure is designed so that there isnt one

Shitting it now

Anything less than an SNP majority is a step backward

20 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

There are times when I feel a wee bit sorry for Scottish Labour. I obviously hope they get humped but there is a lot of people working tirelessly hard for that party and it's clear the Scottish electorate just dont have any time for them anymore. Unless they pull a respectable result from nowhere tomorrow (ie: comfortably second), you have to wonder when some inside the party start considering genuinely radical solutions.

I don't feel sorry for the party, but I do feel sorry for the members and activists who in my experience are far to the left of the established party.

44 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Are Scottish capitalists more just than English capitalists? Bit racist...

So says someone who voted for Jaba a member of the lying most corrupt London based party there is.

A bit hypocritical of you.

20 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Even McWhirter now saying that absolute majority's in the Scottish Parliament are exceptional and not to expect one

Might have been a once in a liftetime event since the voting structure is designed so that there isnt one

Shitting it now

That's exactly what the unionist media are waiting on.

SNP have peaked.

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I disagree. For supporters of independence an SNP minority supported by the smaller independence parties could be seen as progressive. A future independence campaign based on an SNP vision would be doomed to failure. In my humblest of all opinions.

5 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I disagree. For supporters of independence an SNP minority supported by the smaller independence parties could be seen as progressive. A future independence campaign based on an SNP vision would be doomed to failure. In my humblest of all opinions.

I agree.

The SNP are cornering themselves. They've redefined "winning" a Scottish election as needing a majority, which means they are doomed to fail this year or 2021 because a majority is unsustainable. IMO, they're better taking the hit now, bringing Green's on board in some capacity and using them as a springboard to better governance. I've seen very little in the last 5 years that suggests the SNP need or deserve a majority and I've seen little that suggests they're ready to deal with the difficult unanswered questions from the referendum.

The worst backward step IMO is another 5 years of SNP types playing it safe, toeing the leadership line and generally moralising about anyone who doesn't show blind faith and loyalty to the SNP party line.

And I say that as an SNP member.

I think we need a pro-independence majority, whatever make-up that me be, to ensure we get another referendum and re-form a version of Yes Scotland that isn't as SNP front. I think this was one of the main stumbling blocks in 2014. Campaigning for and regaining independence is too important for politicians to be leading on. A lot of chat on how they won't call another referendum until support hits the 60% mark - makes total sense. But how are they going to raise support to that level?