Worst 5 pubs you've been in - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 5 pubs you've been in

2 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Killing time at work and having a look through Old Glasgow pubs. Got me thinking about the worst 5 pubs I've been in...

In no particular order...

1. The Glaswegian, Bridge Street, Glasgow....Only ever went there once during a subcrawl in 2006 or 2007. Everyone there just looked like an utter scumbag, seen some tattoos on folk there that you would never expect to see on anyone outside extreme loyalist places in Northern Ireland. Was pretty pished when we got there and I may have imagined this but I'm sure I seen pool cues on the wall but no sign of a pool table anywhere.

Was that shut down a couple of years ago ?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Though many people like it I don't like The Vale at Queen Street station, the lager is watery and there's a distinct smell of pish.

Its shutting down to become a booking office for Scotrail.  I always quite liked the Vale, good traditional pub with an excellent collection of sporting memorabilia.  Then again, I don't drink lager.

About 30 years ago when I lived in Aberdeen, I used to quite like to go for a pub crawl along George St.  Most of the pubs there were pretty rough and ready but in the main decent traditional boozers.   The exception though was one called the Cragshannoch, which I think has been demolished.  Was in there two or three times and never felt comfortable.  It was run by a completely unfriendly and aggressive old fishwife.  One Saturday night we went in and there was about three people in the bar - including the fishwife - they had the TV on.  I stuck some tunes on the Jukebox and when it came on she turned the volume on the TV up!   Another time someone asked for the darts and almost had them thrown at him.   This picture from outside looks pretty grim, it was even worse inside.

9734390134_c641dfb1b9_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

How long ago was it you were int he Quarter Gill?  While it's by no means a salbrious establishment there are a looooooot worse in Glasgow and there are a few worse within spitting distance of the Quarter Gill ( The Dolphin, The Smiddy and the Vicky Bar springing immediately to mind!)

1 hour ago, derekfaejapan said:

That would've been Christmas 2004 when I was working near there for a while.

Are you both talking about the same Quarter Gill?  There's two in Glasgow: one in Partick and another in the toon, on Oswald St.  The one in Partick isn't too bad but the one on Oswald St is a bit of dump - although it has been done up recently.

Right next to Parkhead there's a wee pub called The Springfield Vaults (i think?) and it's an absolute shitehole. Only ever been in before the football but it's the most disgusting pub i've ever stepped foot in. 

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Right next to Parkhead there's a wee pub called The Springfield Vaults (i think?) and it's an absolute shitehole. Only ever been in before the football but it's the most disgusting pub i've ever stepped foot in.

Cannae mind the name but there was a pop up pub next to Parkhead on matchdays. No draught beers just bottles and cans pulled straight from crates, the "bar" consisted of trestle tables. I didn't attempt the bogs...

Edited by Toepoke

24 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Are you both talking about the same Quarter Gill?  There's two in Glasgow: one in Partick and another in the toon, on Oswald St.  The one in Partick isn't too bad but the one on Oswald St is a bit of dump - although it has been done up recently.

The Oswald Street one, well...That's the one I'm on about anyway!

25 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I might be wrong but I think that got a revamp into some sort of bistro bar for the commonwealth games.

7 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

I might be wrong but I think that got a revamp into some sort of bistro bar for the commonwealth games.

Maybe! I've not been in in a couple of years. I walked past it going to the Davis Cup semi at the Emirates though and it still looked like a shitehole. There's a pub joined on to it that looks a bit nicer though! 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Maybe! I've not been in in a couple of years. I walked past it going to the Davis Cup semi at the Emirates though and it still looked like a shitehole. There's a pub joined on to it that looks a bit nicer though! 

Actually, it was the London Road Tavern got done up for Commonwealth games, now called The Real McCoy...The Springfield Vaults is still a shithole.

35 minutes ago, scotlad said:

15 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

The Oswald Street one, well...That's the one I'm on about anyway!

I was talking about the one in Partick!

35 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Is that the one that's under a railway bridge? On the left as you're walking from Parkhead to Queen Street?

10 minutes ago, deecie said:

Is that the one that's under a railway bridge? On the left as you're walking from Parkhead to Queen Street?

No. It's on the corner of London Road and Springfield Road. It's directly across the road from The Real McCoy that Derek is talking about. 

The Springfield Vaults and Turnstiles only open on matchdays, but are both utter shit holes.

Theres a pub just up that road towards the shopping centre called the oak bar I think, it's open during the week and looks intersting.

Come to think of it, nearly every pub round that way looks interesting.

That Real McCoy pub probably does well when there's events on at the Emirates, but can't imagine it's the jakeys choice on a Tuesday afternoon.

:lol:

I remember being in one of the "Celtic minded" shitholes near the Barras on the way back in to town after a Scotland game at Parkhead.  I'm pretty sure Walter was the manager so might have been the 6-0 Faroes game.  The locals weren't particularly welcoming and I got in to a rather heated discussion with an old boy going about how he would never support Scotland despite being Scottish etc.  When I asked him why one of his answers was "because they've always had shite managers" in an obvious dig at Smith and the Rangers connection.  His gas was put somewhat at a peep when I pointed to a mural that covered the wall and said "what about Jock Stein?".  Cue lots of mumbling and muttering and we were left alone to "enjoy" our pints!!

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Got a load of Austrian mates from Vienna.  In August 1996, before the match at the Ernst Happel, they had organised a table at a great Mexican restaurant in the Prater park next to the stadium.  Loads of good food and beer in an almost rural setting with a short walk to the game,

For the return game the following year, we took them to the Springfield Vaults!

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

Got a load of Austrian mates from Vienna.  In August 1996, before the match at the Ernst Happel, they had organised a table at a great Mexican restaurant in the Prater park next to the stadium.  Loads of good food and beer in an almost rural setting with a short walk to the game,

For the return game the following year, we took them to the Springfield Vaults!

Tell me that place doesn't sell food!! 

Campus - I horrible place that truly is a blotch on Glasgow. Full of the kind of people that think Chesney Hawkes 'The only and only' is a great tune. A horrible Place.

Cock Tavern - This ones in Euston and I went there to watch a celtic game just after i'd move down. Awful beer, awful location, awful looking, awful.

Mosquito - Pub/Bar type thing on Bath Street where I had the mis fortune of spending an evening last year. Full a folk that have double sleeves, snap backs and Huraches. Terrible beer, exorbitant prices, full of pr!cks.

The Junction Bar - A couple of minutes walk from Highbury and Islington tube. Actually has a decent size beer garden that has been neglected for a long time. Huge inside with tables and chairs all over the place that make seem far too big, no atmosphere, no character and full of cretins.

Munro's - Thought for my last one I would go for one of these pubs that has replaced an old mans boozer. This is on Great Western Road and I like craft beer as much as the next man but this place just takes the p!ss with it's prices. £5.60 for a pint of Camden lager, full of folk with that awful west end accent, not particularly nice inside and the food was expensive and not very nice.

59 minutes ago, Mox said:

Campus - I horrible place that truly is a blotch on Glasgow. Full of the kind of people that think Chesney Hawkes 'The only and only' is a great tune. A horrible Place.

Cock Tavern - This ones in Euston and I went there to watch a celtic game just after i'd move down. Awful beer, awful location, awful looking, awful.

Mosquito - Pub/Bar type thing on Bath Street where I had the mis fortune of spending an evening last year. Full a folk that have double sleeves, snap backs and Huraches. Terrible beer, exorbitant prices, full of pr!cks.

The Junction Bar - A couple of minutes walk from Highbury and Islington tube. Actually has a decent size beer garden that has been neglected for a long time. Huge inside with tables and chairs all over the place that make seem far too big, no atmosphere, no character and full of cretins.

Munro's - Thought for my last one I would go for one of these pubs that has replaced an old mans boozer. This is on Great Western Road and I like craft beer as much as the next man but this place just takes the p!ss with it's prices. £5.60 for a pint of Camden lager, full of folk with that awful west end accent, not particularly nice inside and the food was expensive and not very nice.

Forget the pubs, there is not actually  a lot of PEOPLE you like is there ? I dont even know what a double sleeve, snap back and Hura che is . I hope i do not unknowingly possess them ?