This Board Needs Tunes - Page 681 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

15 hours ago, bonzo said:

@silverbear, the Milltown brothers, they did a sitcom theme tune? Not going to Google it,  on the tip of my tongue, think Samantha Janus was in it.

@bonzo.  I don't know the sitcom. They're from Colne about 5mls from Burnley. Not many bands from there (or admit it 😉)A mate of mine who moved to Reading introduced me to them - we used to send tapes to each other with new discoveries (which must have been 30+ years ago) ☺️

Colne.jpg

11 hours ago, Heuch Moray said:

Nobody told me he died 😟

He died recently.. about 9yrs ago ☺️  He was a 40 a-day man so didn't do so bad. 🚬  

Used to live about 2mls from here. Gas fitter who played the local pubs mostly, according to friends who knew him - well before I moved here.

12 hours ago, silverbear said:

He died recently.. about 9yrs ago ☺️  He was a 40 a-day man so didn't do so bad. 🚬  

Used to live about 2mls from here. Gas fitter who played the local pubs mostly, according to friends who knew him - well before I moved here.

Recently? 9 yrs ago after 40 a day!! Then he lived a longer life than expected. I never did get to see him live (so to speak) 

10 hours ago, Heuch Moray said:

Recently? 9 yrs ago after 40 a day!! Then he lived a longer life than expected. I never did get to see him live (so to speak) 

I'm being unfair & a little misleading. I was talking to a couple of friends yesterday, one who knew him fairly well who said he stopped smoking in his late 40s although he was a heavy smoker until then. He was certainly prone to alcohol & drug abuse in the 70s so I guess he lasted longer than some expected? Earned the nickname Mad Dog after assault charges in Australia after which he was told to leave the country. Or so I'm led to believe.. 

On 3/8/2023 at 9:18 AM, silverbear said:

I'm being unfair & a little misleading. I was talking to a couple of friends yesterday, one who knew him fairly well who said he stopped smoking in his late 40s although he was a heavy smoker until then. He was certainly prone to alcohol & drug abuse in the 70s so I guess he lasted longer than some expected? Earned the nickname Mad Dog after assault charges in Australia after which he was told to leave the country. Or so I'm led to believe.. 

Interesting to hear you have a friend who was lucky to know him. He was truly an original with that bluesy/rock voice & his unique stage movements which he claimed was down to him not playing an instrument and had to do something with his arms. I'd love to have seen his Mad Dog concert, think he did with Leon Russell.

Continuing with the present theme…I’ll follow with an appropriate one of his….