This Board Needs Tunes - Page 622 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

25 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

One interpretation I read was this was about his affair with Island Records; others ... meh.

Possibly but I'm only aware it was John Peel who was the only one to promote this album and Paul Weller in later years.

37 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

One interpretation I read was this was about his affair with Island Records; others ... meh.

Possibly but I'm only aware it was John Peel who was the only one to promote this album and Paul Weller in later years.

Edited by Heuch Moray
Duplicated post

35 minutes ago, Heuch Moray said:

Do you mean that it was Paul Weller that promoted Nick posthumously?  I was wondering who started his revival.

I only heard about him from a young guy an work some years ago.   He wasn't trendy like me 😛, but liked a good tune.  
Could have been the best thing Paul Weller's ever done?  🧐

49 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Over/not and for whom? No spoilers.

I always wondered that the name Janet (my mother's) did not sit well in an English folk tale, but turns out it's Scots.

A wee aside to prove my vintage...

All that surprise and she's sweating her erse aff in an aran knit hahaha 

On 7/16/2022 at 12:13 AM, Grim Jim said:

Do you mean that it was Paul Weller that promoted Nick posthumously?  I was wondering who started his revival.

I only heard about him from a young guy an work some years ago.   He wasn't trendy like me 😛, but liked a good tune.  
Could have been the best thing Paul Weller's ever done?  🧐

I'm not sure how much or how little Island Records promoted his 3 albums before he died but he was almost unknown until the cult following started after his death.   Yes, Paul Weller did play a part in his revival although he wasn't alone in being inspired by Nick Drake's albums, all posthumously.  Both Radiohead & REM were also heavily influenced and as previously mentioned John Peel kicked it off with his 'Session Albums' on BBC radio.

Unfortunately Nick Drake never performed live nor was interviewed, hence no known videos of him. However there is one of his songs 'Black Eyed Dog' which was the last song actor Heath Ledger covered in a video. Both died from an overdose.

Incidentally, Drake's 'Five Leaves Left' album was named after the warning message near the end of joint papers. I like that. 

Here's a VW advert playing his 'Pink Moon' 

Borrowed this album off my friend at school. 3 days later I was cycling to school with the album under my arm when I passed a group of mates who'd just got off the train & were heading to school.

One of them shouted "Scotty" - I turned & raised my arm holding the record in acknowledgement & went straight into one of the open doors of a delivery van. Ended up in Casualty but released with nothing more than a bruised arm. I offered to pay for the record but my mate said just pay for the 2 tracks that are scratched so I did.

A few years later I was scouring second hand records in a shop when I came across this Piper at the Gates of Dawn album. Bought it took it home, placed on the turntable &....... guess what?  🤣