This Board Needs Tunes - Page 56 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Thanks for the Aviators nod Exile, but did you have to post THREE elo tunes?   Love a lot of your tunes, but sumthin' bugs me about them.   I remember Paul McCartney saying (in the 70s?), when asked where the Beatles would be now if they hadn't broken up, they'd be like ELO.

I have no idea whether he was serious, but (as a wee baby then) I believed it, and for some reason took offence   ...I liked late Beatles stuff and enjoyed Wings.

Then not so long ago, watching film titles go up, heard a tune I liked; searched through the credits and saw it was ELO (oh feck no!).   Turns out it was made in 2001 and not 1981 as I'd guessed, but...

Aw no I have stumbled on an unwritten rule of TBNT netiquette 😱. In my defence I was responding to (aviator + rain) and found 3 ELO songs with rain in title and I thought that a curiosity rather than something necessarily to enjoy/endure in entirety. 

But don't worry, it won't happen again, DJ XyL normally never  posts same artist twice. 

I always thought ELO a bit odd, a bit out of time and place, not really relating to anyone or anything else of its day. I couldn't imagine buying one of their gramophone records (unless maybe in 2081).

Edited by exile

6 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Voice reminded me a wee bit of...

I see what you mean. I was thinking of Edinburgh's answer to Texas. But it seems the singer Angie Townsend no longer with us. So they look set to remain obscure. At time of posting they have one 'like' and no comments. 

On 1/27/2019 at 8:20 PM, exile said:

The night I took my first ever swedger in the Arches circa 2005, me and my mate were in the back of a taxi tripping balls listening to this and thought it was the greatest song of all time. It's not that, but it's a classic.

33 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

High time the criminally underrated Jess Roden got a wider audience.

No bad, and I've certainly never heard of him, for what that's worth :unsure:

Here's some 70s stuff folk probably forgot before 1980.   I can't be too old...  I can still hear the dog-whistle synth notes.