This Board Needs Tunes - Page 278 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

Right.   Please forgive me, I'm not having a go at you Fringo :hammer: , 'cause I know millions of folk were into Van Halen, but I just don't get it.   Put me off "rock" for years.

Includes my "80's pal", but all I see is hair bleach, makeup and spandex.   No original musical talent IMO... guitarists say he could play, but technical ability means nothing without... I dunno, some emotion other than getting stoned and rich?

Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?

(TBH, I did but a Def Leppard album once, but it went to a charity shop eventually.)

41 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Aye difficult to recognize with both eye sockets completely removed 😄

I was never into Priest.   My younger pal grew up with them, through a time I didn't know rock still existed.   The 80's.

(I had very little exposure to music I liked then.   Too busy with work and wife :huh: .   Only long haired Eastern Europeans seemed to be into metal.   How quaint, I thought.   Though have since 'discovered' a couple of no-bad tunes.)

Oanyhoo, said younger pal, who did grow up in the metallic recesseses of the 80's was a bit put out when I told him Rob was the leader of the Gay Pride parade in San Francisco.   I don't think he was that bothered, but did challenge me at least a couple of times on my accuracy, so I loved his teenage-recall-torment.

"metallic recesses" :lol:

2 minutes ago, exile said:

"metallic recesses" :lol:

Fair play 🤕.   That version is from deep within some crevice.   Shame as that was the only other Bottom tune I could think of so far.   Needs a bit more than riff and vocals.

FYI  I know rock fans that like spandex, but hate Metallica too.   They want to stop wearing it now though.

8 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Fair play 🤕.   That version is from deep within some crevice.   Shame as that was the only other Bottom tune I could think of so far.   Needs a bit more than riff and vocals.

FYI  I know rock fans that like spandex, but hate Metallica too.   They want to stop wearing it now though.

It's wasn't a dig, but a segue

1 minute ago, exile said:

It's wasn't a dig, but a segue

OK I must be right grumpy tonight.  I just didn't like that version.   There's loads of tunes on here I don't like.   I think I only complain when I get close to liking 🧐

Metallica have done some great covers though.   Though I've heard most of the originals.   (F'k I'm old.)

27 minutes ago, exile said:

OK.   Another of my shite anecdotes...   (Stop me if you've heard it.)

First time I heard JSBX live was early 2000s at the QMU in Glasgow.   Yup, that's right - with 80's pal, who was right into them.   (There was was also his wee cousin who was one-day-short-of-18 and turned away.   We wished him a good night and a happy birthday too :lol: )

He wasn't alone.   Several shitebags folk wanted their money back as the support band (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) had called off to go appear on Jools Holland.

Oanyhoo, JSBX filled in with some extra tunes and we had the whole balcony to spread out in.   Except a wummin about 8 month pregnant was there too.   (I'm not sayin' she was taking up too much space ffs,) but what we've wondered ever since is what music that wean (now grown a bit) is listening to now?   What else was it primed to pre-birth?

Edited by Grim Jim
Whole decade out!