This Board Needs Tunes - Page 242 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

That last one stunned me Tiny Tim!   Even though I knew the Beatles were into Motown, and that Lennon made some (positive, but I can't remember) comment about black-girl groups.

Oanyhoo, a wee aside here, if you'll excuse me.   I was wondering about guitar riffs and whether Les Paul knew wtf he'd unleash?

(If you think all electric guitars sound the same, switch to his Telecaster video.   Though prefer the SG one myself :headbang: )

13 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

That last one stunned me Tiny Tim!   Even though I knew the Beatles were into Motown, and that Lennon made some (positive, but I can't remember) comment about black-girl groups

Here’s me thinking you were an old un ;) 

When exile came up with the theme I thought no way will I think of anything. Then I remembered this. Pretty sure he was sued for it as was a big thing at the time.

13 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Probably not what you meant Exile, but these two'll save me a lot of time posting loads of videos 😄

I am a Zeppelin fan, and got me into listening to their roots/inspirations.   I'm too young for the Stones ;)

Bonzo might watch this from the start too...

why not? One purpose was to encourage listening to the songs, rather than just checking the words of the bands or titles. Will listen to later.

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Ah yes I remember this comment from YouTube:

Nirvana stole the riff from KJ; KJ stole the riff from Damned; Damned stole the riff from the Moody Blues; Moody Blues stole the riff from Chuck Berry; Chuck Berry stole the riff from Glen Miller; Glen Miller stole the riff from Gershwin; Gershwin stole the riff from an Irish folk song; The Irish stole the riff from a Medieval knight chant; Medieval knights stole the riff from a Hebrew prayer; The Hebrews stole the riff from Pagan priests; Pagans stole the riff from sub-Saharan aborigines; Aborigines stole the riff from Australopithecus Africanus; Australopithecus Africanus, after eating too many beans one night, created the riff... :lol:

9 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

When exile came up with the theme I thought no way will I think of anything. Then I remembered this. Pretty sure he was sued for it as was a big thing at the time.

I was wondering if it might be too difficult, because we tend to remember/categorise by words not sounds. But there's a good crop there!

9 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

Was found to have "subconsciously plagarised the song", but all versions on Discogs only credit Harrison (though that relies on folk editing it correctly, like Wiki).   At least he didn't revert to My Lovely Horse.

5 minutes ago, exile said:

I was wondering if it might be too difficult, because we tend to remember/categorise by words not sounds. But there's a good crop there!

It’s a good theme and you’re right, it’s one that you have to think about. Which stops me from shoehorning in the same songs and artists all the time :-))

2 hours ago, exile said:

OK I'm not picking on you Exile, just that I love both songs.   I'm no musician and am half corned beef, so no authority.   I get the common rhythm, and also that they are simple 12 bar blues progressions (I think), but the latter would capture a load of tunes.   Taylor does look and act wicked though, so maybe three points of contact is plenty.

Aw feck, I had to look her up to check her name as a though, and now found out she was a child actor.   I hope that explains absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

OK I'm not picking on you Exile, just that I love both songs.   I'm no musician and am half corned beef, so no authority.   I get the common rhythm, and also that they are simple 12 bar blues progressions (I think), but the latter would capture a load of tunes.   Taylor does look and act wicked though, so maybe three points of contact is plenty.

Aw feck, I had to look her up to check her name as a though, and now found out she was a child actor.   I hope that explains absolutely nothing.

The link has been made by others (see You Tube comments). I'd say it is the vocal bit from 0:17 which could be  "Please allow me to introduce myself..." (and the devil duly pops up later)