This Board Needs Tunes - Page 107 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

27 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Quite a few covers of this one.   Tempted to pick Daniel O'Donnell, Foster & Allen, Ruby Murray, Johnny Cash or Bing Crosby.   Was Josef Locke first?

This song's better though...

That one is lovely mate.  Never heard of her before.  I love the old Irish songs.  A place I have never visited is Ireland.  Stopped at the airport in Dublin on the way home from Macedonia once but we were only in the airport for an hour then Prestwick.  But got friends who have done work in Galway and loved it.  On my bucket list.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:00 PM, Grim Jim said:

5 years!   Jeez.   OK, makes sense.   We lost a few sodgers after 2014, but you have to keep going.   I actually joined (for a very short time) the SNP after the first devo referendum.   Right after the defeat, ffs.   Maybe misery is cathartic for me.   I didn't coin my username myself 🙈

Oanyhoo, that was lovey.   Well worth the waits.   Not Tom though;  You do love yer gravelly auld men  :lol:

One of the clickbaits that came up for me at the end was a live performance.   For once I clicked as I realised I'd never actually seen Lhasa moovin' aboot as it were.   Anyway (my missus was just tellin' me how I never get to the f'n point as she picked up here phone again 😕 ).   Anyway, THE GUYS BASS WAS AMAZIN' just look!   Fretless accoustic (not upright).   Has a plug coming out of it, but no pickup.   Might have a mic inside?   Have I gone off topic?

In truth I did pop in a few times but it was always about the music. Then came 2017? when I got word the TAMB was coming to an end when a lot of 'old sodgers' were unearthed. 

I may be wrong but I think you appreciated way back when I posted a lot of the late passionate & graceful Lhasa. Her bass player is amazing, what I'd give to own a fretless bass but can't imagine ever mastering one. Take a listen to 'La Celestina' and watch him go 😮

Can't promise not to post anymore gravelly Waits with his excellent lyrics and known to have a voice soaked in a vat of pure Bourbon. After all, he does include a lot of locations in his song titles 😛

21 minutes ago, Heuch Moray said:

In truth I did pop in a few times but it was always about the music. Then came 2017? when I got word the TAMB was coming to an end when a lot of 'old sodgers' were unearthed. 

I may be wrong but I think you appreciated way back when I posted a lot of the late passionate & graceful Lhasa. Her bass player is amazing, what I'd give to own a fretless bass but can't imagine ever mastering one. Take a listen to 'La Celestina' and watch him go 😮

Can't promise not to post anymore gravelly Waits with his excellent lyrics and known to have a voice soaked in a vat of pure Bourbon. After all, he does include a lot of locations in his song titles 😛

Just watching that, cheers!   Not my core genre as you know, but love it.   I like the music words make when I don't understand them.   I'm guessing she's singing about the time her grocer had his finger on the scales and she gave him what for.

An interesting ensemble though, including Gordon Ramsey on the horizontal string thing?

image.jpeg.bbfc28c52e48a696a978ccbec973adf1.jpeg

This might well qualify for the crappest post in 100+ pages but it's a bit self-indulgence again :D

Firstly, got to get this in here:

This next one is based on what is still a fairly common saying around here, 'From Hell, Hull and Halifax, good Lord deliver us'. It stems from the days when countless trivial offenders were sent to the gibbet - a replica of which is in the town (there's also a street called Gibbet Street). Halifax had a reputation for being the most likely place to find your head separated from the rest of you over a loaf of bread.

And this song really saddens me in a lot of ways. My dad grew up in 'Last of the Summer Wine' country as did about a million generations of his family before him. He used to tell me how they'd always sing this song on the last bus home from Huddersfield, bevvied out of their heads. The buses were all trolley buses in those days so you could achieve the remarkable feat of being both on and off your trolley at the same time. Anyways, that area is now massively gentrified thanks to its TV celeb status & I'd bet good money that a fair proportion of the current residents don't even know this song exists.

11 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Firstly, got to get this in here:

What a lovely voice.   Strange thing is that if you sent Tidy a picture of yourself, it would not surprise me if that were you.   Since were on the TAMB though, I'm probably way off and you'll more like likely be the much older offspring of Les Dawson & Thora Hird.