This Board Needs Tunes - Page 683 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

Well it's Friday and I had an idea for a new theme, a variaton on previous ones. Musical instruments or other things used to make music with. For things use to make music with that aren't musical instruments, they don't need to be in the title or band name, but it should be possible to hear them. 

First off, a musical instrument..:

“I took the head off a snare drum and started whacking it with a wooden ruler, recording it through a Shure 57 microphone,” he says. “As I did that, I started twisting the hell out of the [API 550] EQ around 1 kHz on it, to the point where it was starting to sound more like a crash. I blended that with a snare I found in the Linn itself, which was a 12-bit machine, so it sounded pretty edgy to start with.” But the coup de grace for the sound was when Z pumped the processed and blended sample through an Auratone speaker set upside down atop another snare drum, which rattled the metal snares and gave the result some ambience and even more high end... The sonic result was closer to a hollow wood block sound than any snare found on a conventional rock record, and in becoming, along with Gift’s vocals, the signature of the song... " https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-tracks-fine-young-cannibals-she-drives-me-crazy-375247