This Board Needs Tunes - Page 95 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

On the issue of the Proclaimers, I found myself discussing this song at a non-league game I was at in Oldham on Friday night...

What was your conclusion?

Only musical work I know to feature Wishaw - immortalised in song!

Edited by exile

26 minutes ago, exile said:

What was your conclusion?

Only musical work I know to feature Wishaw - immortalised in song!

The context was that last Friday night, I was watching Golcar United (nearby village to me) v. St Helens Town at a neutral ground 20 miles away in Oldham. In the crowd of around 170, I got chatting to a groundhopper from the Midlands taking that game in on the way to Ayrshire for a Junior game.

So we got chatting about Ayrshire & he was very knowledgeable about football generally. So needing to out-nerd him somehow, I said “I bet you can’t name a song that mentions going to an away match in Kilmarnock?” He couldn’t so I was able to tell him (and sing the relevant bit) with a self-satisfied smug grin. 

Tragically, when we passed G, I felt it was a bit inappropriate to put up my first ever single, so here's my second. I still don't have a bloody clue what this song is supposed to be about. Suzi Quatro also holds the honour of being the first time I ever looked at female & thought beyond 'why are they always wanting to do skipping where we play football?'

12 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Tragically, when we passed G, I felt it was a bit inappropriate to put up my first ever single, so here's my second. I still don't have a bloody clue what this song is supposed to be about. Suzi Quatro also holds the honour of being the first time I ever looked at female & thought beyond 'why are they always wanting to do skipping where we play football?'

Ha, ha.   Stevie Nicks   :wub:

The song has long been assumed to be about male menopause. However, according to the British writer D. J. Taylor, one alternative theory is that, having boasted of their ability to write "a song about anything", Chapman and Chinn were issued with the challenge to come up with a treatment of the 1848 United States economic crisis.

32 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Last time I posted QueenAdreena, it was compared to nails down a blackboard.

Must be the fuzzbox.

Hmph! You beat me to it. I was just about to post them. 

So here's a mellower take

22 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

What time is it?   I've got a big Rs collection.

I was thinking that: the Qs a bit of an acquired taste but there's a helluvalotta Rs, Ss & Ts.  And a fair few Us and Vs.

Twenty to R, I think.