This Board Needs Tunes - Page 79 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

On 11/10/2019 at 11:35 PM, Grim Jim said:

Well the Cult one I remember, and associate them with the 80s. Same with the Fields of the Nephilim.

However Jane's Addiction I think of more as 90s, by the time I heard them. It never really occurred to me that they were doing stuff in the 80s, but they still sound more 90s to me, if that means anything.

Same with Living Colour, but logically they must have been around in the 80s, otherwise, where did that back catalogue come from? 

Edited by exile

On 11/15/2019 at 10:24 PM, bonzo said:

One of my first gigs was Donovan.   Well, sort of.

He supported Yes at the Apollo and I'd only ever heard of Mellow Yellow... which he did play.   Many years later I (re?)heard the above, I think, after somebody posted a cover on here and I went looking for more of his tunes.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:03 PM, exile said:

Well the Cult one I remember, and associate them with the 80s. Same with the Fields of the Nephilim.

However Jane's Addiction I think of more as 90s, by the time I heard them. It never really occurred to me that they were doing stuff in the 80s, but they still sound more 90s to me, if that means anything.

Same with Living Colour, but logically they must have been around in the 80s, otherwise, where did that back catalogue come from? 

The Cult:  I saw a documentary on TV when their '91 album Ceremony came out that got be back-tracking not long after.

Field of the Nephelumps:   Don't remember them at all then, but did enjoy Sisters of Mercy.   Got dragged not that long ago to the Academy to hear the former and they were great.

Janes Addiction:   Again passed me by for many years.   Not a fan as such, but see where folk say they were influential... Well for bands that did actually hear them back in the day.

At the time - in the 80s - I did actually go and buy ...wait for it... an extended single cassette... of Cult of Personality.   Had it in my Sony Walkman on a long haul flight.   Nodded off (it's a lullaby) and awoke to never find the box again.   Still no' happy.   Living Colour however drifted off my radar, but I did see them at the Garage not that long ago.   Great musicians   ...and showmen.

10 hours ago, dan cake said:

heavier than usual from me but HAVE IT

Keep it up :headbang:😄   What was the film?

OK, looked it up... XXX starring Vin Diesel, so glad I didn't bother watching.   DVD films used to come with music video extras.   Often better than the films.   Wild, Wild West and End of Days spring to mind.

3 hours ago, exile said:

Love Reefa and Janis.   Always thought they'd struggle nowadays, sadly.   Good faces for radio (sorry), but jeeez, where did that picture come from?

Skip this song (aye don't even start it) if offence comes easily or any-which-way...

Sorry again :blush:   For me, not the tune!