This Board Needs Tunes - Page 67 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

15 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

It's been bugging me, but finally placed what that reminded me of...   Got a bit of "What's the Frequency Kenneth" about it.

Yes! THat's it. It was scratching away at me too. 

And reminding me a little of a guitar in Kristin Hersh's Caffeine which I coincidentally am listening to right now.

Edited by exile

On 5/31/2019 at 9:31 PM, Grim Jim said:

Bass karaoke :guitar:

Sorry, I just love zoomin' in on the detail.

So on the lower one at least, only one note is ever being played at any one time?

On 5/31/2019 at 8:56 PM, Grim Jim said:

Has anyone made a custom slide-show for this song yet?

Did you see there was a rockumentary about Queen the other night. They made out that Sheer Heart Attack (Roger Taylor's song, not the album) was Queen's (or at least, Taylor's) response to punk. Or rather, the song had been kicking around for ages but disregarded but punk gave it the impetus to finally release it.  (Implying it was punk before punk?)

The comments section is mad.  

Be Someone who just really likes queen scrolling the internet: “Hey I think I’ll listen to Sheer Heart Attack.” (Looks through comments) “Why does Sheer Heart Attack have no weakness? Who is Kira? Shigechi? LOVELY DUWANG”. (This man realizes that he is not a true intellectual as he has not been exposed to JoJo’s Bizzare adventure.)

2 hours ago, exile said:

Did you see there was a rockumentary about Queen the other night. They made out that Sheer Heart Attack (Roger Taylor's song, not the album) was Queen's (or at least, Taylor's) response to punk. Or rather, the song had been kicking around for ages but disregarded but punk gave it the impetus to finally release it.  (Implying it was punk before punk?)

The comments section is mad.  

Be Someone who just really likes queen scrolling the internet: “Hey I think I’ll listen to Sheer Heart Attack.” (Looks through comments) “Why does Sheer Heart Attack have no weakness? Who is Kira? Shigechi? LOVELY DUWANG”. (This man realizes that he is not a true intellectual as he has not been exposed to JoJo’s Bizzare adventure.)

Short answer, no.   OK, I am stunned by this :huh: ...

I've not seen the programme.   The band are a bit older than me, so they would have been a bit more aware of what was going on back then than a spotty wee schoolkid, so I gie in, but...

...WHOA!!!   Just realised you said song not album...   I stopped buying Queen after Night at the Opera (Yes, I'm that old), so honestly never heard of the song, but tonight (in 2019) I'm not impressed.   (Well maybe, sometimes songs sound better in their day.)

I had to delete a load of my pretentious twattery about the album vs punk (no sense now) before my WHOA moment :hammer:

......BLAH, BLAH, BLAH like Whispering Bob Harris on Poitín.

Oanyhoo... don't ask me about the comments.   You'll get more sense from a dried up twig.   Except that the album is a classic, and Queen only got their mojo back when they became their own covers band.   Fact :whistling:

19 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Short answer, no.   OK, I am stunned by this :huh: ...

I've not seen the programme.   The band are a bit older than me, so they would have been a bit more aware of what was going on back then than a spotty wee schoolkid, so I gie in, but...

...WHOA!!!   Just realised you said song not album...   I stopped buying Queen after Night at the Opera (Yes, I'm that old), so honestly never heard of the song, but tonight (in 2019) I'm not impressed.   (Well maybe, sometimes songs sound better in their day.)

I had to delete a load of my pretentious twattery about the album vs punk (no sense now) before my WHOA moment :hammer:

......BLAH, BLAH, BLAH like Whispering Bob Harris on Poitín.

Oanyhoo... don't ask me about the comments.   You'll get more sense from a dried up twig.   Except that the album is a classic, and Queen only got their mojo back when they became their own covers band.   Fact :whistling:

OK I see.

Curious if you gave up buying Queen after NatO because of NatO or because of what came next? 

1 hour ago, exile said:

OK I see.

Curious if you gave up buying Queen after NatO because of NatO or because of what came next? 

Queen were always a bit pants. From the faux progressive rock fantasy imagery of Queen, Queen II,  to the daft crossover rock/pop ditties of Sheer Heart Attack and News of the World. Punk/new wave had almost consigned them to the bargain bin when an albeit stonking performance on Live aid resurrected their career as Grim Jim above said a cover band covering their own songs.

Sparks were a million times better than Queen.

Edited by Eisegerwind

1 hour ago, exile said:

OK I see.

No, I liked the album at the time.   The NatO tour was probably my first ever gig.   I think I trended towards heavy/blues based stuff after that (Sabbath/Zeppelin) though my pals liked lighter and prog stuff.   I still liked prog, and just as I was getting into albums punk came along and ruined everything for me 😄

57 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Queen were always a bit pants. From the faux progressive rock fantasy imagery of Queen, Queen II,  to the daft crossover rock/pop ditties of Sheer Heart Attack and News of the World. Punk/new wave had almost consigned them to the bargain bin when an albeit stonking performance on Live aid resurrected their career as Grim Jim above said a cover band covering their own songs.

Sparks were a million times better than Queen.

Fight!