EU Referendum - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, andymac said:

If you have a British passport and you are resident here you get a vote. 

Commonwealth Citizens do as well as do the Irish

(Not legally a foreign Country, according to the commonwealth office.) 

27 minutes ago, andymac said:

My comment was in reply to 'Europeans' not getting a vote even if they have UK passport.

Lots of people get to vote.

aye, but Ozzies, Kiwis etc get to vote without a UK passport but Europeans dont.

We all have European Passports, The  French and Germans etc have the same passport as us but they cannae vote 

Ozzies Kiwis etc have a different passport, not European or UK bit they do get to vote.

A strange situation would you not agree...

Yes but no different to the Scottish referendum.

You can have a passport if we are independent, and hence a vote, but you have no say in whether we are independent.

irish are different as they are 'not foreign' but not every commonwealth bid gets a vote. 

1 hour ago, andymac said:

Yes but no different to the Scottish referendum.

You can have a passport if we are independent, and hence a vote, but you have no say in whether we are independent.

irish are different as they are 'not foreign' but not every commonwealth bid gets a vote. 

Completely different to the Scottish Referendum

If it was only people with a Scottish Passport that were allowed to vote( if there had been such a thing) Then the YES vote would have been 55%

If Scotland had limited the vote to Scottish only ie People born here, then the YES side would have won.

Thats what the Uk govt is basically doing, limiting the vote to those who are not Foreign. Those who are born here, or people who are not foreign  ie Irish, Commonwealth etc

I think the Scottish way was the correct way, although I would have prefered Scotland to have won the referendum. 

The UK govt is trying to win a EU vote to stay in, surely if they had adopted the Scottish way of doing it, they would be guaranteed more votes, ie those europeans who live here would more than likely vote to remain.

10 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Talk about project fear, 

now that Fanny Cameron says leaving the eu could lead to war,

Which does make you wonder why, if a war is even a remote possibility, he promised a referendum on EU membership at all.

15 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Talk about project fear, 

now that Fanny Cameron says leaving the eu could lead to war,

It is utterly ridiculous the amount of scaremongering going on. I never thought it possible but it seems to me to be on a scale even worse than the independence referendum.

Not only that but it is so brazen and shameless that it's almost as if they are taking the view that it worked in 2014 do they are now unleashing full fat scaremongering on the whole of the uk.

I am probably now going to vote to leave purely and wholly ars a result of how pissed off I am at being treated like a complete imbecile with all this nonsense being spouted by the remainers.

I'm certainly not having some septic tank come over here telling me what to do with thinly veiled threats either.

Fck them.

43 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

It is utterly ridiculous the amount of scaremongering going on. I never thought it possible but it seems to me to be on a scale even worse than the independence referendum.

Not only that but it is so brazen and shameless that it's almost as if they are taking the view that it worked in 2014 do they are now unleashing full fat scaremongering on the whole of the uk.

I am probably now going to vote to leave purely and wholly ars a result of how pissed off I am at being treated like a complete imbecile with all this nonsense being spouted by the remainers.

I'm certainly not having some septic tank come over here telling me what to do with thinly veiled threats either.

Fck them.

John McTernan is right about much but he got one thing right: fear works.  It worked in the independence referendum, it worked in the Westminster election last year and again last week for Holyrood (up to a point).  The fact that the Leave campaign still don't appear to have got their act together yet suggests folk will stick with what they know next month as well.

Boris Johnson's stupid and unnecessary comments about Obama's ancestry deprived the Leave campaign of the opportunity to puncture a couple of myths put forward by their opponents, particularly the one about trade agreements.  Instead, they were forced into dealing with the fall out from that big diddy's remarks.

1 hour ago, exile said:

I am voting to stay in Europe, but every utterance I hear from the south of the border "In" campaign makes me want to GIRU them by voting to leave.  Especially anything G. Brown says.

On 8 May 2016 at 7:46 PM, stocky said:

Commonwealth Citizens do as well as do the Irish

(Not legally a foreign Country, according to the commonwealth office.) 

It's not so much that Ireland isn't considered a foreign country, it's that under the 1948 Ireland Act - which formalised UK/Irish relations following the founding of the Irish Republic - that Irish citizens would have all the rights that any UK citizen had.   A fact that was conviently overlooked by some of the madder BT types suggesting that Scots wouldn't be able to visit England. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/eu-referendum-record-poll-shows-7934908

Survation/Daily Record (Scotland-only) poll [1-2 May]:

• Remain 76% (+10 on 15-20 Apr poll)
  • Leave 24% (-10)

People mustn't get complacent, but it's a huge lead for remain at the moment and one that could ironically keep the whole UK in the EU, should England narrowly vote to leave.

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

I am voting to stay in Europe, but every utterance I hear from the south of the border "In" campaign makes me want to GIRU them by voting to leave.  Especially anything G. Brown says.

I'm thinking very similar apart from I am 95% certain to vote Leave purely because of the very things you mention.

I am sure there are some very good debates on the future of the UK within the EU to be had on both sides of the argument but I'm just not hearing it.

Gove, Boris and Farage etc are utter bellends and full of shît, but the more I hear from Cameron, the Labour left and the Blairites and now Brown the more I think "establishment stitch up" and the more suspicious of the whole Remain argument I become.  Just why are these supposedly diametrically opposed characters all so keen for us to stay in? The only conclusion I can come up with is that there's a lot in it for them and they're feathering their own nests off the back of it all. They don't want the gravy train derailed.

As much as I dislike Gove, Boris, Farage and the Daily Mail nazi readership, at least I think there's a slightly greater possibility that their stance might just involve a modicum of political belief and principle in there somewhere (might have to look really really hard to find it though) compared to that taken by the Remain crowd.

Which is why, despite me initially bring a pretty certain Remain, I will now almost certainly be voting Leave and not Remain.

24 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/eu-referendum-record-poll-shows-7934908

• Leave 24% (-10)

People mustn't get complacent, but it's a huge lead for remain at the moment and one that could ironically keep the whole UK in the EU, should England narrowly vote to leave.

20% swing in the space of 2 weeks?!!! :shocked:

38 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

• Leave 24% (-10)

If there's one thing that can be said about the Scots, it's that we bloody love Unions!

had my cameron eu brochure in post today.

it really is a £9 million pile of crap.  I have always been a passionate pro Europepperson.   I wish we had joined the euro. (Which has outperformed the pound since it started. ..NOT the impression u get from all the media and politicians)....but Cameron and all his hangers on (old Gordon too yet again now) are, as others have said, totally totally pssing me off with their blatant lies. 

I feel I can't vote to stay now. I just want a leave vote in England and loads of chaos ensuing.   And hopefully a new indt referendum in scotland in the aftermath. 

"David Cameron has shown “terrible dishonesty” about the true scale of EU migration, Boris Johnson has warned amid concerns that hundreds of thousands more people have arrived than previously thought.

The Office for National Statistics will on Thursday publish a new analysis which will seek to explain why 1 million EU migrants came to Britain over the past five years yet around 2.25 million were given National Insurance numbers."

Shocker. 

10 hours ago, buckielugger said:

.   I wish we had joined the euro. (Which has outperformed the pound since it started. ..NOT the impression u get from all the media and politicians)

Sorry- but I cant see how you can equate one currency outperforming the other as basis to compare economies, except rather crudely.

10 hours ago, buckielugger said:

had my cameron eu brochure in post today.

it really is a £9 million pile of crap.  I have always been a passionate pro Europepperson.   I wish we had joined the euro. (Which has outperformed the pound since it started. ..NOT the impression u get from all the media and politicians)....but Cameron and all his hangers on (old Gordon too yet again now) are, as others have said, totally totally pssing me off with their blatant lies. 

I feel I can't vote to stay now. I just want a leave vote in England and loads of chaos ensuing.   And hopefully a new indt referendum in scotland in the aftermath. 

So you're pro-EU, but voting to leave because you didn't like a pro-EU leaflet.

Seems sensible.