EU Referendum - Page 98 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

^ true - the EU isn't "democratic" by design.
rather it is designed to achieve consensus which would otherwise be impossible among 28 nations.

in short
1) each EU nation government appoints a commissioner. 
2) the Communion propose topics for consideration.
3) the parliament (MEPs we elect!) discuss, debate and vote.
4) each member implements those directives into their own laws.

Something that wasn't explained well during the EUref.

As aside - It is ironic that each member state will get a vote on the final Brexit deal.
So Malta gets a veto whilst Scotland does not ;-)

6 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

As aside - It is ironic that each member state will get a vote on the final Brexit deal.
So Malta gets a veto whilst Scotland does not ;-)

More than that, because the Belgian constitution states that the regional parliaments must ratify any EU treaties, the Belgian regions also have a veto.

Edited by aaid

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Chuka proposes a motion to stay in the single market, cue more shadow cabinet resignations and sackings...

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-29/dozens-of-labour-mps-defy-corbyn-to-back-umunna-brexit-amendment/

Yet again, the Parliamentary Labour Party finds another way to shoot itself in the foot. 

Edited by aaid

• 1 year later...
On 6/24/2016 at 6:42 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Does anyone else not see this could backfire massively on the snp i have seen dozens of posts on my social media saying they wont be voting snp afain after sturgeons intervention today,, it was very painful for me to watch,,, heres one freinds post "I have voted snp all my voting days, after watching sturgeon today I will never be again, not sure who though, she's a disaster waiting to happen.""" I have to agree with him TBH 

This is what earned the false accusation of misogyny. Turned out was bang on the money, again.

Hmmm I think people may have to accept the fact that you are not a piss taking troll and may actually be quite good at this SNP forecasting lark. I suspect you probably do have your finger on the pulse a bit through your contacts. People should maybe listen to what you are saying a little more.

(I still think you are too optimistic but I will bow to your opinion at this point and wait and see.)

30 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This is what earned the false accusation of misogyny. .

Really? I cannot say I have ever seen anyone call Hampdenloon misogynistic. That seems ludicrous and I would like to think I would have challenged that. Though admittedly that I dont read every post and I imagine you have done your homework before suggesting this. 

36 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Really? I cannot say I have ever seen anyone call Hampdenloon misogynistic. That seems ludicrous and I would like to think I would have challenged that. Though admittedly that I dont read every post and I imagine you have done your homework before suggesting this. 

I think it may have been on another thread.

Have to agree with Thplinth - always found the troll accusation against Hampden misplaced. He is usually close to the mark with his calls. I’d like to see a few more SNP members/voters call the party out as and when required  

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Just click on his post above that I quoted and scroll down the page. Someone (Rossy maybe) has a go at him for being anti snp which was then followed up by an accusation of misogyny. We just had the same thing from someone else on another thread. Little tag team it looks like.

2 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I think it may have been on another thread.

Have to agree with Thplinth - always found the troll accusation against Hampden misplaced. He is usually close to the mark with his calls. I’d like to see a few more SNP members/voters call the party out as and when required  

Oh, I definetely agree re the troll accusation being utter shite. I have always found him refreshingly honest . But I really cannot remember anyone suggesting he was misogynistic. 

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Just click on his post above that I quoted and scroll down the page. Someone (Rossy maybe) has a go at him for being anti snp which was then followed up by an accusation of misogyny. We just had the same thing from someone else on another thread. Little tag team it looks like.

Just arriving at York, will take a look later 👍

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Stuck on train outside York. Have had a look. I stand corrected thPlinth, and I clearly seen that post as I  responded shortly afterwards re the EU vote. 

FWIW , IMO anyone who suggests Hampdenloon is misogynistic is talking nonsense. He simply prefers Salmond as a politician,  nothing more.  

20 minutes ago, phart said:

The predictive accuracy speaks for itself. The smears without facts also speak for themselves and the users are doing it as late as yesterday so nothing changed there, no personal growth.

Aye very true and especially when that person has been shown to react very badly when the misogynistic boot is on the other foot. I guess they felt aggrieved for some reason. Still lesson not learned eh.

3 hours ago, Mitre said:

Jim Fairlie got sent to the salt mines as well on here for not towing the party line.

Whilst I didn’t agree with everything JF said, he was a good poster and brought up some excellent points.

He is well worth a follow on Twitter ( if thats your thing ) 👍

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Stuck on train outside York. Have had a look. I stand corrected thPlinth, and I clearly seen that post as I  responded shortly afterwards re the EU vote. 

Ha ha I also just had a wee swatch and you were the next post after!

(I am only having a laugh here please don't take this shit seriously.)

edit: what's the Fairlie twitter link thingmybob Mr Beem? I am guessing I would need to be on twitter

Edited by thplinth

26 minutes ago, thplinth said:

edit: what's the Fairlie twitter link thingmybob Mr Beem? I am guessing I would need to be on twitter

😂 😂

Yada yada ‘ Nope, I  have definetely never heard anyone call him misogynistic. ‘ yada yada.

I was too busy talking a load of shite myself to even notice 😂

41 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I just meant his comments in general so you would need to be on twitter to follow. Unsurprisingly he is JimFairlie, no daft gimmicky name. 

6 hours ago, Mitre said:

Jim Fairlie got sent to the salt mines as well on here for not towing the party line.

Whilst I didn’t agree with everything JF said, he was a good poster and brought up some excellent points.

Is that the same jim fairlie who campaigned for farming for yes? 

13 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Is that the same jim fairlie who campaigned for farming for yes? 

There are two Jim Fairlie's. 

The ex SNP one is about 80 now. His son (also Jim) is a sheep farmer who was one of the main guys behind setting up Perth Farmers Market. I would image both of them were involved in Farmers for YES.

I don't know which one, or both, are on twitter?

Another one of Jim's other sons is one of those famous fancy chef fellas.