EU Referendum - Page 96 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, exile said:

Ha! I remember there was a 50p with 9 hands on it, symbolising friendship across Europe, it must have been in circulation for many years. 

That's right forgot about that one. Although Wikipedia says there were 89 million of them minted, so no wonder they seemed ubiquitous.  Didn't realise it was as late as 1997 that they were withdrawn when the coin was shrunk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_pence_(British_coin)

33 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

my 1st PP in 83 was beige paper one - 1 year temporary - could rock up at local post office, and get it there and there

Again memories, ma folks got those for our first trips abroad. You just had to write your weans' names on the back page, none of this 60 quid every 5 years malarky...

Edited by Toepoke

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

What depresses me is that i realise there are millions agreeing with this and cheering it on

And half of them probably live in Spain or are going on holiday there.

12 hours ago, aaid said:

I got my first passport in 1984 and it was an old blue one - I always thought they were black rather than blue, but that's another thing.  

When that expired in 1994, I got a maroon EU passport, so I guess they changed over some point inbetween.

I didnt think you were that old. Were your parents' spies ?

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not that I was aware of. 

Anyway, I was only 18 when I got it. 

They must have been excellent spies in that case. 

For some reason I thought you were about 40. Must be confusing you with another Aaid. 

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm pretty sure mine was black as well. And I'm not a spy either, honest:ph34r:

Did spies get different coloured passports?:blink: Bit of a giveaway, no?

I'm pretty certain the black passports were issued to folk on the 'for watchin' list. The folk the spies were spying on. 

I dont know why I associate these old passports with spies. Probably  cos all the old cold war spy movies always had dark blue ( or black if you were a baddy) passports in briefcases. I have never watched a spy movie since being bored rigid by Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy years ago,  so dont really associate the maroon ones with spies.

Anyway, thats wasted another 10mins of my very unproductive day. Thanks for listening. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

French election map !

Europe and the UK will burn if she wins

C-IUUPkXgAQfwfC.jpg

I never knew France was so politically divided! It's east v west there.

I still think Macron will hoover up more than 50% of the spare votes in the final round...

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I never knew France was so politically divided! It's east v west there.

I still think Macron will hoover up more than 50% of the spare votes in the final round...

500px-%C3%89lection_pr%C3%A9sidentielle_

No preference  for Le pen in the overseas territories. They are in a lot of bother with if she get in. 

It's interesting, apparently most media around Europe is leading with Macron as the big story as he's the more surprising of the two candidates.  In the UK, funnily enough our media is obsessed with Le Pen and the right. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's interesting, apparently most media around Europe is leading with Macron as the big story as he's the more surprising of the two candidates.  In the UK, funnily enough our media is obsessed with Le Pen and the right. 

bbc.com/news (ie: the international site) are leading with Macron being the story; guess what's provided for home consumption is different (if I try to access .co.uk it just bumps me back to .com).

57 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

bbc.com/news (ie: the international site) are leading with Macron being the story; guess what's provided for home consumption is different (if I try to access .co.uk it just bumps me back to .com).

I haven't read all the copy but looking at the front pages, for papers with it in the front page, the Mail and the Times both lead with Le Pen, the others have a more balanced "Macron v Le Pen run off" approach as does the BBC web site.  None are leading solely with Macron. 

This looks a good analysis - parts 2 and 3 to follow in the upcoming days

Basically the UK is fvcked if it thinks it's getting a good deal

https://www.ft.com/content/74e5fe4b-b1e4-3f9c-9e9b-73316872e144

EU leaders will discuss this over the weekend on whether to back automatic membership for Northern Ireland after Brexit if it ever unifies with Ireland.

Ireland will ask the 27 EU leaders to endorse the idea in Brussels tomorrow (without Britain) to adopt guidelines for Brexit negotiations.

But .....what currency will they use

Edited by Ally Bongo

This confirms, that the EU are deliberately weakening the UK's bargaining position, therefore there will no doubt be a similar meeting with regards to Scotland, which will blow the Unionists weapon of uncertainty out of the water next Referendum.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

EU leaders will discuss this over the weekend on whether to back automatic membership for Northern Ireland after Brexit if it ever unifies with Ireland.

Ireland will ask the 27 EU leaders to endorse the idea in Brussels tomorrow (without Britain) to adopt guidelines for Brexit negotiations.

But .....what currency will they use

I guess the precedent is there with East Germany.