Musical Memories - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Musical Memories

1 hour ago, scottincarlisle said:

7 nation army by the white stripes reminds me of walking along a costal path on the island of Capri. It was playing out of someone's house.

Brilliant song , would sound good anywhere. Capri just takes it to another level. 

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How the hell could people back in 1978 actually like that song ? It's fecking awful. Amazes me how people still love it.

Cameron even followed it up with a lesser known but equally bad song for the 1982 World Cup.

What was that? Are you thinking about the Ben Gunn "classic", Viva Scotland?

On 10 April 2016 at 6:09 PM, Huddersfield said:

Blockbuster or Hell Raiser by Sweet will always take me back to Reinwood Junior School in the early 1970s. I used to think those songs were so cool (or "ace" if translated into 1973 Yorkshire speak).

Red Red Wine, UB40 was massive around the time me & my wife got together (summer 1983). Along with Come Dancing by the Kinks they sum up a brilliant time in my life...Hudersfield Town had just won promotion.

As I drove away from hospital after the birth of my eldest, Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" came on the radio & seemed so apt; I still love that song.

Sweet takes me back to the school dance about 71, they had a song out called Coco, catchy wee chorus ,fcuk knows what the words were, only other thing I remember about that night was having to go home at 9pm as only the fourth and fifth years could stay till 11 

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

What was that? Are you thinking about the Ben Gunn "classic", Viva Scotland?

Nah, it's another song by Cameron, just not as well known.

I don't know what the title of this particular Cameron classic is but the chrous goes:

"Bonnie Scotland going to Spain

Bonnie Scotland signing again

We're the lions in the old dark blue

Bonnie Scotland for me and you."

It's atrocious.

20 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Brilliant song , would sound good anywhere. Capri just takes it to another level. 

Speaking of capri did you know ford brought oot a new turbo version of the capri in 1982 :lol:

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't know what the title of this particular Cameron classic is but the chrous goes:

It's atrocious.

Do you realise how much time it must have taken him to come up with these lyrics,

10 hours ago, Marky said:

Nope. Think he's referring to Scotland for Me.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's atrocious.

Cheers. News to me that one. Tried to find it on youtube to no avail. I did come across this though, never realised he brought out another single for Argentina!

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's atrocious.

That gem is called Scotland For Me and its on this album along with the afore-mentioned Viva Scotland  

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/cherryredfootball-exd.asp?id=2877  available on Spotify if you're interested 

Amazingly it's not even the worst song on the album.  

Scotland Rules by Sandy Scot, God only knows what that's about.  Some sort of drum and bass mash up with someone - presumably Sandy Scot - reciting the France 98 squad.

6 hours ago, aaid said:

That gem is called Scotland For Me and its on this album along with the afore-mentioned Viva Scotland  

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/cherryredfootball-exd.asp?id=2877  available on Spotify if you're interested 

Amazingly it's not even the worst song on the album.  

Scotland Rules by Sandy Scot, God only knows what that's about.  Some sort of drum and bass mash up with someone - presumably Sandy Scot - reciting the France 98 squad.

Shockingly the Spotify version misses out We Have a Dream!

The worst track is surely Cameron's Capers where does a stand up gig and says if we won the World Cup he'd land at Heathrow and walk it up the M6.

That whole album remind me of a school trip just before the start of France 98. Had that CD on the bus and we ended up watching the Brazil game on a tape delay in the evening though we all knew it had been 1-1 at half time.

Edited by Stewart_Aberdeen

The most bizarre Scotland World Cup song must be the Italia 90 effort "The Lion Roars" by Yetanother Tonto.  The song was unremarkable and didn't trouble the hit parade but the lineup contained Ted Christopher - yes that one - on guitar and vocals and Terry Butcher - yes that one - on drums. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

The most bizarre Scotland World Cup song must be the Italia 90 effort "The Lion Roars" by Yetanother Tonto.  The song was unremarkable and didn't trouble the hit parade but the lineup contained Ted Christopher - yes that one - on guitar and vocals and Terry Butcher - yes that one - on drums. 

Was Fish not the lead singer on it?

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Thought this song was called Say it with pride?

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Was Fish not the lead singer on it?

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Thought this song was called Say it with pride?

The Ted Christopher one wasn't the official effort - that was Say it with Pride.  

Guest vocalists on that were Fish, James Grant (Love and Money), Donnie Munro (Runrig) & Jimmie O'Neill (The Silencers).

No idea who was on drums, Bryan Robson maybe.

Edited by aaid

16 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Do you realise how much time it must have taken him to come up with these lyrics,

That's just the chorus, some of the verses are crackers.

How about these lines.

And we'll reform Scotland's Army
if it's not too much to ask
We can travel the road
With a highway code
A piece box and a flask

and

At the Hotel El Dorado
on the Costa sunny Spain
They've just take store
of a Hampden Roar
to keep it for the game

John Lennon mush have been shitting himself.

22 hours ago, aaid said:

That's just the chorus, some of the verses are crackers.

How about these lines.

And we'll reform Scotland's Army
if it's not too much to ask
We can travel the road
With a highway code
A piece box and a flask

and

At the Hotel El Dorado
on the Costa sunny Spain
They've just take store
of a Hampden Roar
to keep it for the game

John Lennon mush have been shitting himself.

Not to mention (something like)....

And it's nice to see old England

I forgot just how they looked

I was showin' the weans

Some English names

It's in their history books.

And the chorus was actually.......

Bonnie Scotland going to Spain

Bonnie Scotland singing again

Silky soccer on the football field

Showing the world a clean pair of heels

Bonnie Scotland the pride and the joy

Bonnie Scotland we'll follow the boys

Bonnie Scotland for me and you.

It's a completely pointless argument to say any football song is sheit because the fact is they are ALL sheit. It's in the rules of making a football song that it has to be sheit. Even I Have a Dream was a sheit song, but like most Scotland world cup songs, it was it's humour that made it great.

Arguably (regardless of your view on the sentiment of the song) Don't Come Home to Soon was probably the "best" football song we've done and that only because it is the least like a football song.

Somebody has already mentioned my personal favourite which is Viva Scotland by Ben Gunn.