Musical Memories - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Musical Memories

It never fails to amaze me how music can bring memories flooding back. I heard a song on the radio the other day that immediately transported me back to 1977 and Camphill High School S2 end of term disco. 

The girls were standing down one side of the assembly hall , the boys down the other. A tuck shop was in the corner which in itself would provide George Osbourne with enough sugar tax to clear the national debt. 

The girls with their Farah Fawcett hair flicks and the boys  in their Oxford Bags.  Every boys entire dance routine ( if you could actually get them to dance) was to slide one leg to the right then drag the other leg across to meet it , whilst dipping the shoulders in the same direction . They would then repeat the process on the other side, and so on. This routine was used for every song, no matter the tempo . I had more heartbreaks than i care to remember but feel nothing but sheer happiness at the memory.

The song i heard was ' From New York to LA ' by Patsy Gallant. Cheesy pop at its brilliant best. Anyone of that era who did not enjoy the song may  have as well been dead. 

If anyone is still awake after my trip down memory lane is their any music that brings back particular memories, good or bad? 

I had my heart torn out, ripped into bits and and trampled on during Dexys Midnight Runner's Come on Eileen. I can listen to it now in company but if I hear it when I'm alone I can feel a shadow of the pain and have a wee tear in my eye.  

I went to live  on a kibbutz when I was 17 and ended up travelling for a couple of years, soundtrack of that time varied wildly from Tracy Chapman to Steve Winwood to Kenny Rogers, Joan Armatrading,  Neville Brothers,  Fleetwood Mac, Nat King Cole and others.  All of them take me back to certain places and countries but strangely I can't listen to Fleetwood Mac, Rumours as it makes me so terribly melancholy. There was a great quote from The Boat that Rocked that summed up the time I was listening to Rumours,  

"You know, a few months ago, I made a terrible mistake. I realized something, and instead of crushing the thought the moment it came I... I let it hang on, and now I know it to be true. And I'm afraid it's stuck in my head forever. These are the best days of our lives. It's a terrible thing to know, but I know it"

14 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Littlest hobo tune reminds me of the summer holidays as it was always on when i was a kid,,, summers always seemed warm and long 

I can almost hear the theme tune to The Waltons whilst reading your post, you sound like Jon boy narrating the intro .

Thank you Hampden_Loon , I had no idea what Littlest Hobo was , i thought it was a song ?

I cannot believe that a day on there are only half a dozen  memories on this thread. Have i stumbled into the Alzheimer's facebook page by mistake? Surely there are more memories out there. Do you all want future day memories to be out the bloody Panama Papers?  Lighten up out there. 

Another song that takes me back to 82 is night boat to Cairo by madness. I know the song was a couple of years old by then but I was in hospital and a bunch of folk walked by at closing time singing said song. Everytime I hear it it takes me back to lying in that hospital bed feeling sorry for myself :lol:

34 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Another song that takes me back to 82 is night boat to Cairo by madness. I know the song was a couple of years old by then but I was in hospital and a bunch of folk walked by at closing time singing said song. Everytime I hear it it takes me back to lying in that hospital bed feeling sorry for myself :lol:

Were you in a psychiatric hospital ? 

Blockbuster or Hell Raiser by Sweet will always take me back to Reinwood Junior School in the early 1970s. I used to think those songs were so cool (or "ace" if translated into 1973 Yorkshire speak).

Red Red Wine, UB40 was massive around the time me & my wife got together (summer 1983). Along with Come Dancing by the Kinks they sum up a brilliant time in my life...Hudersfield Town had just won promotion.

As I drove away from hospital after the birth of my eldest, Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" came on the radio & seemed so apt; I still love that song.

Edited by Huddersfield

7 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Blockbuster or Hell Raiser by Sweet will always take me back to Reinwood Junior School in the early 1970s. I used to think those songs were so cool (or "ace" if translated into 1973 Yorkshire speak).

Red Red Wine, UB40 was massive around the time me & my wife got together (summer 1983). Along with Come Dancing by the Kinks they sum up a brilliant time in my life...Hudersfield Town had just won promotion.

As I drove away from hospital after the birth of my eldest, Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" came on the radio & seemed so apt; I still love that song.

Just think now, the song on the radio would probably be "work" by Rhianna and you wouldny know if it was apt as no one has a clue what she is saying.

On 09 April 2016 at 0:14 PM, TDYER63 said:

On 09 April 2016 at 0:14 PM, TDYER63 said:

It never fails to amaze me how music can bring memories flooding back. I heard a song on the radio the other day that immediately transported me back to 1977 and Camphill High School S2 end of term disco.

The girls were standing down one side of the assembly hall , the boys down the other. A tuck shop was in the corner which in itself would provide George Osbourne with enough sugar tax to clear the national debt.

The girls with their Farah Fawcett hair flicks and the boys  in their Oxford Bags.  Every boys entire dance routine ( if you could actually get them to dance) was to slide one leg to the right then drag the other leg across to meet it , whilst dipping the shoulders in the same direction . They would then repeat the process on the other side, and so on. This routine was used for every song, no matter the tempo . I had more heartbreaks than i care to remember but feel nothing but sheer happiness at the memory.

The song i heard was ' From New York to LA ' by Patsy Gallant. Cheesy pop at its brilliant best. Anyone of that era who did not enjoy the song may  have as well been dead.

If anyone is still awake after my trip down memory lane is their any music that brings back particular memories, good or bad?

From New York to LA by Pasty Gallant reminds me of my big sister annoying the feck out of me by playing it constantly on our "music centre"!! ;):lol:

3 hours ago, Marky said:

From New York to LA by Pasty Gallant reminds me of my big sister annoying the feck out of me by playing it constantly on our "music centre"!! ;):lol:

Marky i cant believe your big sister is old enough to know that song ! ?

4 hours ago, fringo said:

Need I say anything ?:(

How the hell could people back in 1978 actually like that song ? It's fecking awful. Amazes me how people still love it.

Cameron even followed it up with a lesser known but equally bad song for the 1982 World Cup.

18 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How the hell could people back in 1978 actually like that song ? It's fecking awful. Amazes me how people still love it.

Cameron even followed it up with a lesser known but equally bad song for the 1982 World Cup.

the b side was even worse I want to be a punk rocker 

On 9 April 2016 at 7:53 PM, scottincarlisle said:

Fishermans Blues reminds me of being in a wagon near Shap hitching home from the Glastonbury Festival.

Funnily enough, A Bang on the Ear always reminds me of sitting on a beach in Ko Samui in 1990, it was playing in a beach bar a little bit up the beach.  The weird thing is, I'd had the album myself for over a year and had heard the song loads of times so I've no idea why that particular time sticks in the mind. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Fortunately we had a classic in 82