University Education - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

University Education

14 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Fair comment I suppose as I shouldn't have mentioned figures.

For the record I work for ATC but not as a controller, the figures I mentioned they earn are readily available to view on local States of Jersey website as are all local government positions. So wasn't giving out Info you can't look up.

Apologies if I came across as bit of a kn0b.

No worries, you guys hiring? :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a degree for some people is just a way to a higher salary. Unfortunately, for most humans, a high salary is seen as a sign of success but it's not really. Some absolute trumpets are earning well through luck more than anything else.

To work in finance you at least need a higher maths (for basic trader level, not anything researchy or innovative) and be a bit dishonest and/or immoral. You can earn very well doing that and even if a degree will help you, it's not essential.

On the other hand you have guys and girls who are extremely smart, who have achieved the maximum level of education and are working hard to find the cure for cancer and various other diseases and who are paid a relative pittance. You won't get a sniff of any of these jobs without at least a phd and usually a phd plus several years of experience is needed for the best places.

Humanity really does suck.