Davis Cup Tennis - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Davis Cup Tennis

irnbruman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, 1ANDYP said:

Seems sad that you would miss a relatives funeral for a game of tennis.

Seems bizarre that they'd arrange a funeral for a day where they knew that he couldn't go. 

4 hours ago, biffer said:

At the very to level of sport, if you let other things take priority,  you won't be at the top level. 

That's madness. Family is more important than sport at any level. 

If you asked Federer what was more important in his life, his marriage or all his Grand Slams, what do you think he'd say ?

Obviously it's a very personal issue, but I'm rather surprised that Murray missed his grandfather's funeral for what after all, is a relatively insignificant event in the overall tennis calendar.

Some amount of Argies there, wonder how many live in Scotland? 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I know he is very close to the grandparents on his mum's side but cannot say for those on his dad's side which this death was.

I believe the boys lived with their dad when their folks split up, so you'd imagine they'd be very close.  Must've been a tough weekend, Jamie was quite emotional after yesterday's game.

19 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Funerals are an event to mark ones passing and I know from vids out there that his grandparents were staunch supporters of Andy's career so I reckon his late grandad would have wished Andy to plough straight on. Missing a funeral does not signify any less a love for that person.

Indeed. 

16 hours ago, Rossy said:

That's madness. Family is more important than sport at any level. 

If you asked Federer what was more important in his life, his marriage or all his Grand Slams, what do you think he'd say ?

Obviously it's a very personal issue, but I'm rather surprised that Murray missed his grandfather's funeral for what after all, is a relatively insignificant event in the overall tennis calendar.

And if you asked Andy the same question, he'd also say his loved ones are more important. 

The Davis Cup is not "insignificant" either. You only have to look at what it's meant to Andy, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer to win it to see that. 

13 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

It's really taxing watching Davis Cup matches with Britain involved. I wish them well, but the crowd doing my head in.

Davis cup crowds in all countries are boisterous and rowdy. It's more like a football crowd than a tennis crowd. The GB fans are always outstanding. The Argentina fans this weekend were immense too. 

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

The Davis Cup is not "insignificant" either. You only have to look at what it's meant to Andy, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer to win it to see that. 

I said 'relatively' insignificant, in that it ranks down the table in comparison to Grand Slam events.

You only have to look at how often the likes of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have missed the Davis Cup (presumably to give themselves recovery time between Grand Slams) to see that.

Obviously, the personal decision to attend his grandfather's funeral or not is Murray's alone, and I think everyone respects that.

I do wonder though about the pressure Murray possibly feels to represent GB in Davis Cup tennis...he's obviously the main man, and he may feel that he has to be there so as not to let people down.

If anyone needed a break this year, it was Murray.

Edited by Rossy

I thought both Murrays played in this. Did Jamie miss the funeral as well? Nobody seems to be bothered about that.

I guess the funeral was on Friday and Jamie didn't have a game that day? Why didn't they just move Andy's game to start an hour or so after the funeral? Sometimes the most obvious solutions are just overlooked.;)

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Why didn't they just move Andy's game to start an hour or so after the funeral? Sometimes the most obvious solutions are just overlooked.;)

I'm guessing preparing to face Del Potro in a 5 setter is a bit different from getting a pass out of the office for a couple of hours...