"They Could Have Played For Us" - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"They Could Have Played For Us"

ErsatzThistle

Disclaimer:

If you want to moan about Houghton, Coyne, McGeady and McCarthy, please feck off to FollowFollow or Rangurzmeeja.

If you want to moan about granny rule players in general, please start your own thread.

Thank You

Any players you know of that were eligible for Scotland down through the years but who were either not interested or the SFA didn't pursue them.

Ones I found were.......

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Scottish mother (also eligible for Nigeria)

Phil Jageilka - Scottish grandparents (also eligible for Poland)

Lee Hendrie - Scottish father

Darren Anderton - Scottish father

Craig Johnston - Scottish father (also eligible for South Africa and Australia)

John Toshack - Scottish father

Also, I'm only judging from their names but were sixties and seventies England internationals Bob McNab (Huddersfield and Arsenal), and forward Malcolm MacDonald (Newcastle and Arsenal), originally eligible at all for Scotland ? I'm aware of course that eligibility rules were much more stricter back then than they are today.

Did Jonathan Gould qualify for Scotland through his mother or was it his father, Bobby Gould ? The latter was a journeyman forward (played for Coventry, Arsenal, Wolves and West Brom) during the sixties and seventies.

Finally, it's often erroneously reported, usually by Chic Young and backed up by Berti Vogts - that Wayne Rooney had a Scottish grandmother and that he could have played for us. Rubbish. He had no Scottish grandmother. It was proven a few years back that all of Rooney's parents and grandparents are documented as having been born in Liverpool. He was never eligible for us.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Not sure you're right about Rooney's family back to grandparents being English.  His wee brother John has hawked himself to Ireland but they weren't interested. 

Pretty sure I read that Sebastian Coates has Scottish parents.  Wasn't Steve McManaman eligible, or does he just sound it?

9 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Not sure you're right about Rooney's family back to grandparents being English.  His wee brother John has hawked himself to Ireland but they weren't interested. 

Pretty sure I read that Sebastian Coates has Scottish parents.  Wasn't Steve McManaman eligible, or does he just sound it?

Perhaps your confusing mcmanaman with Hargreaves, I'm sure their was something with him too?

Or mibbi were both wrong....?

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I don't normally believe the Daily Record but in this instance their refutation looks quite convincing - especially when you consider how easy it is to get hold of the birth certificates of his grandparents.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-scotland-manager-berti-vogts-2360133#MDjRDTlLLYZ4F0Ka.97

He wasn't eligible for Scotland.

John Rooney probably offered himself to Ireland without actually checking the necessary documents. Considering how thick many footballers are, I could believe it.

Whilst they both definitely had ancestors from Ireland and might even have had possibly also one or two from Scotland, the Rooney's were only ever eligible for England.

4 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Perhaps your confusing mcmanaman with Hargreaves, I'm sure their was something with him too?

Or mibbi were both wrong....?

Hargreaves played for Wales at youth level and then chucked them for England. Pwick.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't normally believe the Daily Record but in this instance their refutation looks quite convincing - especially when you consider how easy it is to get hold of the birth certificates of his grandparents.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-scotland-manager-berti-vogts-2360133#MDjRDTlLLYZ4F0Ka.97

He wasn't eligible for Scotland.

John Rooney probably offered himself to Ireland without actually checking the necessary documents. Considering how thick many footballers are, I could believe it.

Whilst they both definitely had ancestors from Ireland and might even have had possibly also one or two from Scotland, the Rooney's were only ever eligible for England.

Hargreaves played for Wales at youth level and then chucked them for England. Pwick.

If memory serves he was also the most injury prone player in Europe! 

Looked up John Barnes, he was eligible as he came to Britain from Trinidad.

Biggest laught is that Wikipedia have him as footballer/rapper lmao

Just now, Mazziessc said:

If memory serves he was also the most injury prone player in Europe! 

Looked up John Barnes, he was eligible as he came to Britain from Trinidad.

Biggest laught is that Wikipedia have him as footballer/rapper lmao

Beat me to it was going to say John Barnes. 

Forgot to add Aberdeen born Stuart Holden who won twenty five caps for the USA. He looked a good player when he was at Bolton. Sadly, injuries have ruined his career and he announced his retirement a couple of weeks ago. 

Two from long ago that definitely should have played for Scotland, and what's more wanted to, were goalkeeper Gordon Marshall Snr (Hearts & Newcastle) and the goal machine that was Joe Baker (Hibs, Torino, Arsenal, Nott'm Forest & Sunderland). Both of Scots parentage but born in England. The rules of the day forbade them from playing for Scotland.

Surely we'd have qualified for the 1962 and 1966 World Cups with Joe Baker and Denis Law up front ! 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Scott  mcdonald  scottish parents

tim cahill could played for scotland scottish gran parents the irish tried get  for 2002 world cup  went on score crakers for everton and oz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2002/1820871.stm

Dave Mitchell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Mitchell_(footballer)

Joe Watson 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Watson_(Australian_footballer)

Kenny Murphy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Murphy_(footballer)

Robbie Dunn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Dunn

All 4 played against Scotland in the 85 play off in at least 1 of the legs

2nd leg team below - great team

GK 1 Jim Leighton
DF 2 Richard Gough
DF 5 Alex McLeish
DF 6 Willie Miller
DF 3 Maurice Malpas
MF 8 Paul McStay
MF 4 Graeme Souness (c)
MF 10 Roy Aitken
MF 11 Davie Cooper
FW 7 David Speedie
FW 9 Frank McAvennie
Edited by euan2020

46 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Did Berti not try and get David Johnson to play for us, scored a fair few goals for Ipswich but not sure if he was actually eligible 

Somebody tried to get him on board but he wasnt eligible because he was Jamaican and his mum or dad was English it went against some agreement with the other 3 home nations. Something along those lines anyway 

16 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Somebody tried to get him on board but he wasnt eligible because he was Jamaican and his mum or dad was English it went against some agreement with the other 3 home nations. Something along those lines anyway 

It was Craig Broon. 

Johnson was eligible to play for any home nation because he had a British passport but no tie to one country over another, same as Barnes, Le Tissier and Le Saux.  Then it turned out he'd been adopted and his birth mother was English, so he could only play for England (or Jamaica, which he did eventually I think).