Ronnie O'Sullivan cokc? - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ronnie O'Sullivan cokc?

ibelieve!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/15/ronnie-o-sullivan-welsh-open-147-too-cheap

Claims to to have missed a 147 break (he got 146) on purpose as the prize money isn't enough!

“I knew it was 10 grand and I just thought that’s a bit too cheap really. To make a maxi, it’s such a massive achievement and if they’re going to pay us 10 grand, I think it’s worth a bit more than that. 

“Once the prize goes up a bit, I’ll go for the 147. A 146 is just as good!”

I'm a fan of O'Sullivan but thought that was wrong today. As he says himself, a maximum is a big thing, so, to not go for it was a bit disrespectful, to the crowd, more than anything else imo. 

I know they have a rolling prize fund for 147's now, which was probably, in part down to what he did a few years ago, when he initially refused to pot the final black. 

I've always thought he was a bit misunderstood  and certainly he comes across as very humble these days so it's hard to work out his motives for this. Perhaps he is the self centered, attention seeker, a lot of people think he is? 

Didn't realise this had its own thread and tagged it on the "Messi  genius or disrespectful" thread.

The guy's a genius, and great to watch, but he regularly seems to do or say things that make him look a bit of a cock!

Someone said self absorbed earlier, that's a good description. Perhaps someone else could've potted the black with the 14th red and donated the money to charity, or give everyone in the crowd a tenner.

:lol:

That's the thing, last time he pulled a stunt like this he did end up giving the money to charity. 

To take another slant, if he is self-obsessed, surely the money isn't even the issue and he would want to be known as the greatest player ever, and as such try and get as many 147's as possible?

Or perhaps he knew twats like us would talk about him, and that's enough :)

He's got the highest ceiling out of anyone in the game, but Hendry has it for me on mental strength. He is his match shot for shot. Hendry just breaks him over a season with his consistency and bottle.

I can still mind the Victoria shield in Liverpool best of 19. Hendry goes up 8-2 i think, Ronnie runs 6 Frames on him like a truck, Hendry on his seat for ages. Goes up and makes a 147 to win the deciding Frame.

To paraphrase though watching O'sullivan practice snooker is like watching a fish practice swimming.

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

That's the thing, last time he pulled a stunt like this he did end up giving the money to charity. 

To take another slant, if he is self-obsessed, surely the money isn't even the issue and he would want to be known as the greatest player ever, and as such try and get as many 147's as possible?

Or perhaps he knew twats like us would talk about him, and that's enough :)

It's got more free publicity for snooker and the tournament sponsors than a 147 would've.

It's an interesting debate Phart and it's something even those two can't agree on (both say each other is the best ever)

Personally O'Sullivan just shades it for me on ability, although Hendry will always be my favourite player. I really enjoy watching sportsmen/women that are so dominant, because of their dedication. O'Sullivan, should have won more imo, it's down to him that he hasn't.