Captain For Next Campaign - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Captain For Next Campaign

Robroysboy

As much as I like Broonie, his legs have gone. He may recover that half yard of pace that makes all the difference at international level or he may not?

Candidates to challenge him for the armband

Darren Fletcher? Russel Martin?

Darren would be my choice, unless Broonie can get some form back.

Edited by Robroysboy

Assuming fitness and selection I'd always have D Fletcher ahead of anyone for the last few years.

On a similar basis I'd have Bronnie next.

After that I'm not sure.......................Craig Gordon if playing but I'm not a fan of GKers being captain ?

Assuming fitness and selection I'd always have D Fletcher ahead of anyone for the last few years.

On a similar basis I'd have Bronnie next.

After that I'm not sure.......................Craig Gordon if playing but I'm not a fan of GKers being captain ?

One for the statos has a GK ever captained Scotland ?

On the keepers captaining Scotland, in addition to Jim Leighton, it turns out that there have been a few goalkeeper captains from the old days.

Archie Rowan, Robert Gardner*, George Gillespie and Kenny Campbell.

*Also played as an outfield player.

Must have been a few years back - never heard of them. :oops:

Is Jim Leighton correct then ? Don't remember that either. Good trivia question though.

Is Jim Leighton correct then ? Don't remember that either. Good trivia question though.

Skipper 4 times between 89 & 95. I presume mainly for landmark caps, 50th etc...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scotland_national_football_team_captains

George Young 48 caps as captain! Some going back at a time when we didn't play as many games.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Broon is an urse of late.should be stripped on captaincy.

Captain should be guaranteed first pick and surely Brown isn't now. Hopefully anyway.

I'd like it to be D Fletch, but like said, captain should be first pick, is he now that hes back fit and clearly in good form?

No sure on GK's as captain.

CM or CB as captain everytime, A fit Hanley is always gonna play IMO. Good shout perhaps?

Edited by Mazziessc

55 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Russel Martin is the only candidate in my eyes, if we were to replace Scott Brown.  It remains to be seen whether D Fletcher is a first pick, and no other regular player particularly jumps out.  Naismith and Marshall are probably the only others even in with a shout.

Would agree with Russell Martin. Dont like a striker or a goalie being captain if it can be avoided so a CB or CM are probably ideal. James Morrison!?

I think you should look at someone who is captain of their club.  In the current squad that would give us Scott Brown, Russell Martin, Darren Fletcher and Grant Hanley.

For me out of that lot - assuming he is going to play, which is a big assumption - Darren Fletcher is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to all aspects of being a captain.  

If Fletcher isn't going to play, I would look at Martin in the first instance although I expect that Hanley will eventually be captain.

On 11 February 2016 at 1:14 PM, ProudScot said:

Would agree with Russell Martin. Dont like a striker or a goalie being captain if it can be avoided so a CB or CM are probably ideal. James Morrison!?

i don't think it's right that someone who  has also represented another country should be considered as our captain. I think the captaincy should be a sacred thing. I'm happy with brown or fletcher.