Julian Assange - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Julian Assange

22 minutes ago, phart said:

Been following it since it started the judge comes across really badly

Only really been following the reporting from James Doleman on Twitter but the whole thing sounds like a complete shambles.  Comms breaking down, barristers self isolating, defence calling expert witnesses who have been part of the defence team. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Only really been following the reporting from James Doleman on Twitter but the whole thing sounds like a complete shambles.  Comms breaking down, barristers self isolating, defence calling expert witnesses who have been part of the defence team. 

I've been following it from him and a few other folk in attendance as well. This is basically the last week I will follow it though. It's immensely frustrating for one and for other my studies resume again. This case ,if you get too involved, is a serious time drain as the sheer amount of information to process is mental. Add on top of that all the coronavirus debate in the scientific community heating up and one can spend all day reading up on really interesting stuff but of no practical value to me resuming my career. 

I'm basically binging this week on both topics and then forgetting they exist in favour onto stochastic dynamics and cell biology.

It is continually blowing my mind that the magistrate ruled that Assange's lawyers face a 30 minute time limit (guillotine) when question their witnesses but the prosecution lawyers representing the US are allowed to take hours and hours questioning the exact same witnesses. This trial is a fucking farce. It is really shocking seeing how unfair it is.

• 3 months later...

So the ruling went the correct way.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange cannot be extradited to the United States, a court in London has ruled.

The judge blocked the request because of concerns over Mr Assange's mental health and risk of suicide in the US.

Can argue the reasons but a correct outcome anyway.

Reasoning looks bad as they believe case has merits, unless this is just way to try and appease US while not giving him over.

District Judge Vanessa Baraitser rules that while US prosecutors met the tests for Mr Assange to be extradited for trial, the US is incapable of preventing him from attempting to take his own life - and therefore extradition would be oppressive.

26 minutes ago, phart said:

Reasoning looks bad as they believe case has merits, unless this is just way to try and appease US while not giving him over.

District Judge Vanessa Baraitser rules that while US prosecutors met the tests for Mr Assange to be extradited for trial, the US is incapable of preventing him from attempting to take his own life - and therefore extradition would be oppressive.

Does this mean he will be released?

• 5 months later...
On 2/4/2016 at 4:10 PM, Cove_Sheep said:

So what are we now... 5 years since this OP.

How many of you saw this recent story in the mainstream media. Funny they don't seem so interested in it anymore.

Key witness in Assange case admits to lies in indictment

https://www.medialens.org/2021/a-remarkable-silence-media-blackout-after-key-witness-against-assange-admits-lying/

Just an aside but...

Julian Assange

Jeremy Corbyn

George Galloway

Alex Salmond

Craig Murray

All of these folk have something key in common. And all were targeted (at different times) as a result.

Imagine if we had had Corbyn as PM during the pandemic. instead of BJ and his pals enriching themselves with huge contracts to supply medical equipment using shelf companies formed weeks before. By the way how is her royal highness Baroness Mone doing these days... Great times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Shameful.

They have a had few runs at Galloway going back a long time. The most memorable and obvious one was that forged letter they supposedly stumbled upon in the ministry in Iraq when it was being invaded. He is very wily is Galloway, not an easy guy to stitch-up it seems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2971829.stm

https://archive.md/mJWH1

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Looks like only Priti Patel can save him now.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/20/uk-court-order-moves-julian-assange-step-closer-to-us-extradition

The UK authorities have no moral right to criticise how other countries treat their journalists when they have treated Assange in such a despicable manner. 

Off to Rwanda then. 

• 1 month later...