Anybody Going To Rome For The Italy Game - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anybody Going To Rome For The Italy Game

joecraigfanclub

Alas no, wanted to go. Went in 2010 and it was one of my most favourite trips, both football and rugby.

Went to the Lazio v Fiorentina game after watching Scotland lose.

FYI Lazio Are playing at home on the Sunday at the Olympico. Just remember to take your ID When buying tickets.

J

I'll be there.

AS DB says, Trastevere is a good area to go go eating and drinking in. We've got a restaurant booked there for the Friday night....plenty of good wee bars to head to afterwards as well.

There's one called 'Bir & Fud'....which sounds perfect for Scotsmen.... :lol:

Heading over on the Friday too. I've really no idea why Trastevere is so popular but it clearly is, so enjoy it if you go there. Easily my most popular rugby weekend now.

I think it's because Trastevere is a relatively compact, atmospheric area with lots of nice wee bars and restaurants. You can walk around for 10/15 minutes and you'll be guaranteed to find somewhere suitable for whatever kind of night you're wanting.

I agree with you that Rome has become the best trip of any 6 Nations year...

I've always found Trastevere to be full of irritating Yanks and Brits pretending to be bohemian and artistic, flouncing around spending daddy's money. In much of it English speakers seem to outnumber Italians by about 10 to 1. Personally, and each to their own, I prefer Monti or San Lorenzo, but that's maybe just me.

I've always found Trastevere to be full of irritating Yanks and Brits pretending to be bohemian and artistic, flouncing around spending daddy's money. In much of it English speakers seem to outnumber Italians by about 10 to 1. Personally, and each to their own, I prefer Monti or San Lorenzo, but that's maybe just me.

Am in total agreement. went round it for the second time at new year and the bird said it was still a cowp. Came back and was told we made the mistake of going in daytime!!! That bir and fud place has a vast range of beers but is mainly designed for dining. The bar area is small and people have to queue to get in at busy periods. Will be giving Testaccio area a good go this time, especially for eating. Been to the Stadio Olympic for football in the past so might be going Div 4 on the Sunday for something a bit different.

I've always found Trastevere to be full of irritating Yanks and Brits pretending to be bohemian and artistic, flouncing around spending daddy's money. In much of it English speakers seem to outnumber Italians by about 10 to 1.

Yeap, that's me ! :lol:

You're right about the irritating Yank part, as there's an American university in Trastevere. They're all out at night being loud and fat-arsed and obnoxious.

Can't say I've noticed a hige number of Brits the times I've been there.

Thing is, Rome is a big place and it can be really difficult to pin down a good night out (as we know it) with everything in walking distance. Trastevere is handy because it's compact, and we usually stay in a wee hotel just across the river near the Campo di Fiori (another tourist nighspot mecca of course).

I agree that areas like Monti are more authentically Italian, but when you're with a group of lads for the rugby and only have 2 nights, I'm happy to have lots of bars and restaurants all within a 10 minute walking radius of each, no matter how touristy.

If you fancy the area of Testaccio which is also lively, this is a good bar L'Oasi della Birra, Piazza Testaccio, Rome, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy.

Thats the address on google. More of a proper bar than bir and fun with a wide range of beers. Not a micro brewery or a craft brewery but the closest you might get to a normal boozer in Rome outwit the Irish pubs. Lots of good eats around there as well

I'd second the recommendation for L'Oasi della Birra. Worth a couple of hours outside in the sunshine (hopefully) with a beer and some scran. There are other good places around there, and late at night several clubs for the young people (ie not me).

Going to this it will be our first trip to Rome for the rugby. Flying out to Ciampino from Stansted on the Thursday and back to Stansted from Ciampino early Sunday morning.Looking forward to it heard good things about Rome for a rugby trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading over Thursday to Sunday via Dublin. Taking the wife and laddie for their first rugby trip. I've been to Rome before and hated it for a number of reasons but always wanted to give it another go. Friiday is sightseeing day and Saturday is rugby day.