Stv Debate, Tues 2Nd Sept - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stv Debate, Tues 2Nd Sept

Live on STV, this Tuesday from 8pm

Goodies:

Nicola Sturgeon

Patrick Harvie

Elaine C Smith

Baddies:

Douglas Alexander

Ruth Davidson

Kezia Dugdale

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/referendum-news/labour-critics-pin-blame-for-new-no-woes-on-alexander.25188352

The Goodies = well articulated arguments and hope.

The Baddies = rote cliches and doom.

That's a Yes winner.

As implied, Dugdale is a snidey piece of work and completely pish at political ideology. If the No side's best hope is Ruth Davidson, against any of the Yes side's folk, they'll get gubbed in that debate.

Great. :)

That's a Yes winner.

As implied, Dugdale is a snidey piece of work and completely pish at political ideology. If the No side's best hope is Ruth Davidson, against any of the Yes side's folk, they'll get gubbed in that debate.

Great. :)

I wouldn't discount Ruth, she can be very good on her day. Dougie will get slaughtered though :D

I wouldn't discount Ruth, she can be very good on her day. Dougie will get slaughtered though :D

I agree she's capable, but against any of those three I don't think she'll cut it. Looking forward to Dougie's slimy weasel words getting mocked by the audience.

Glad Harvie and Smith are there :ok:

Indeed. The only one of the No side that has any sort of talent there is Ruth Davidson and the only one of them I'd want on the negotiating team in the event of independence.

It's a weird day when the Holyrood Torys are the only group on the No side that I have any shred of respect for.

Indeed. The only one of the No side that has any sort of talent there is Ruth Davidson and the only one of them I'd want on the negotiating team in the event of independence.

It's a weird day when the Holyrood Torys are the only group on the No side that I have any shred of respect for.

Agreed. Same with Annabel Goldie. Don't agree with their politics but can respect their viewpoints.

Agreed. Same with Annabel Goldie. Don't agree with their politics but can respect their viewpoints.

I'd also add in Murdo as well, he at least had the balls to realise the Torys in Scotland needed a massive shake-up and wanted to split from the main party. It looks like he's been buried since then though. There is obviously a place for conservatism in an independent Scotland, just not Thatcher style like we've had for the past 30 years IMO.

I'm honestly looking forward the the inevitable political landscape shake-up that'll happen if we vote Yes. The increased political engagement in this country that the referendum has created needs to be harnessed to actually change the way we make decisions and run the country, otherwise we've just swapped red white and blue shite for blue and white shite.

Good team for Yes.

Happy to see Elaine there and also her not being a politician is something the debate has lacked- she's on Derek Bateman's podcast this week and comes across really well and likeable.

I never noticed this until last week, but watch Dougie Alexander - he makes facial ticks. Just imagine like a toned down Mark E Smith from the Fall when he was on Newsnight all those years ago.

indeed Harvie is a great speaker and i think a lot of normal people will be able to associate with Smith

The Green dimension is welcome as it is not about independence for its own sake but a wider purpose - an idea(l) that is beyond 'nationalism' and about a larger solidarity.

If Douglas tries to empathise with the poor in Liverpool, or talk about the good DfID is doing around the world, then maybe Patrick can help make a wider argument.

And Smith - from that Calton Hill rally - sounds to me more like a true voice of the left, than Dougie ever will be.

Also comes across as common sense, not too confrontational - some of the qualities of Margo MacDonald - that the politicians find harder.

Edited by exile

Anyone able to advise how I can access STV living down south? Doesn't seem to be on the EPG for Sky. Am I stuck with hoping that STV Player works?

Anyone able to advise how I can access STV living down south? Doesn't seem to be on the EPG for Sky. Am I stuck with hoping that STV Player works?

Have you got Sky, aye?

You can save STV to 'other channels'

Just google search for 'Tune STV Sky other channels' and there will be a few websites telling you how to do it. If you don't find any, let me know and I'll send you a link

Is it not Danny Alexander?

Is it? The Herald article I linked implies it's Doogie doesn't it?

I hope it is Danny - he's completely useless! At least Dougie is a convincing liar

Have you got Sky, aye?

You can save STV to 'other channels'

Just google search for 'Tune STV Sky other channels' and there will be a few websites telling you how to do it. If you don't find any, let me know and I'll send you a link

Sorted, cheers :ok: