Worst Scottish Tv Programs - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Scottish Tv Programs

Don't know if he was, but he was certainly pissed-off at one point. While the party was raging in the background he appeared on screen to do a sketch involving a bottle of whisky, only to discover that someone had nicked the bottle! End of sketch, Chic was beelin'.

I've seen another clip from it of a tired and emotional John Grieve trying to recite a poem about "being gay" (in the old sense) and failing miserably.

From what I remember, it was as Toepoke described it. Tom O'Connor was the host and did a great job in trying to hold the complete shambles together. I think it was the last time the BBC Hogmanay show went out across the entire UK.

It wasn't just John Grieve that was half cut as the entire audience were half-cut, not unsurprisingly given that it was Hogmanay in a five star hotel. Pretty sure that one of the audience was caught in camera trying to look up the skirt of one of the performers.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I remember, it was as Toepoke described it. Tom O'Connor was the host and did a great job in trying to hold the complete shambles together. I think it was the last time the BBC Hogmanay show went out across the entire UK.

It wasn't just John Grieve that was half cut as the entire audience were half-cut, not unsurprisingly given that it was Hogmanay in a five star hotel. Pretty sure that one of the audience was caught in camera trying to look up the skirt of one of the performers.

Probably the best Hogmanay show ever. :lol:

agreed scotch and rhy was brilliant great New Year's Eve telly the Rangers sketch was magic Gerald Kelly Riki Fulton sadly no longer with us

I bought the complete Scotch and Wry boxset out of borders for £5 when it was going bust (I was only used to the mid-late 80's and very early 90's stuff) and I found the very early stuff to be rather unfunny and borderline un-pc (there is one with a pub sketch that you would consider a tad risky by today's standards).... the mid-late 80's stuff is pure gold, but the stuff at the start of the 90's was just pants..... Rikki was clearly starting to struggle then as the drive was completely gone and seemed to be Tony Roper trying to carry the show.

Edited by wanderer

You could cherrypick the worst shows from UK wide networks to make that argument too though.

Plenty of quality stuff has been produced by BBC Scotland over the years.

Certainly not many of the shows mentioned as bad as the likes of Citizen Khan (which the BBC seem to find funny and really try to ram it down our throats that we should be finding this funny).

Two Scottish shows I look back on fondly are City Lights and The High Life

Edited by wanderer

I downloaded this from Itunes after someone sent me the link for "Eleven" - to be honest I'm usually into this type of stuff and was hoping it was a bit like Harry Enfield (Aliens) or Chewin the Fat where the characters develop and the reptition of the humour starts to build (remember everyone saying Gonna No Day That - Just Gonae No! - that sort of thing) - but I'm really struggling and almost finished Series 2.

Really patchy, although I see the lads have done work for Chewin the Fat and Karen Dunbar Show - I think the lads should stick to writing as I just don't feel they have TV persona's - well not classic like say the Still Game Boys. Some of the Comedy timing is out, or just not really all that funny.

Maybe characters will eventually stick out like Victor and Jack from Chewin the Fat and potential for a series ala Still Game.

Burnistoun can be really hit or miss, but there is some good stuff there..... the Ice Cream Van brothers is really tedious I find...Jolly Boy John is best suited as a viral type online character, as they do seem to go into over kill with him on the tv show..... but there is some good stuff to be found (2Ltr Bottle of Ginger, the Scottish Lift, Single Policy Party Candidate etc.... even the binned "Oor Wullie the movie" sketch is comedy gold).

Difference with Chewin' the Fat is that had an entire team of writers working behind it (my English teacher and his uni mate wrote the Fowl Mouthed Fishermen sketches and a couple of others for the show) while Bunistoun is really just those two going it alone.

Certainly not many of the shows mentioned as bad as the likes of Citizen Khan (which the BBC seem to find funny and really try to ram it down our throats that we should be finding this funny).

When citizen khan first came on I thought it was like something from 1970's. Awful. But bizarrely to me all the Asian colleagues in London office thought it was brilliant.

Always found it odd in the late 80's and early 90's in the days before Sky came along, that for the kids tv-slots on ITV at lunch time and occasionally on CITV that you would put the Gaelic dub of a certain show on for views in the STV region, while everyone else would get the English version.

The list is endless. Every new Scottish program seems to be parochial, unfunny, clichéd dross. The last two you could tell from the 25 second trailers were abysmal - the mountain rescuers and Scot Squad?

I refuse to believe we are unoriginal, boring bastards when you see some of the excellent authors, underground and some mainstream bands and artists that come from Scotland.

I refuse to believe we are unoriginal, boring bastards when you see some of the excellent authors, underground and some mainstream bands and artists that come from Scotland.

It's built into the programme comissioning process. Only unfunny shite created by the producer's pals is allowed to be made on BBC Scotland. Limmy's Show only got through because the commissioning editor couldn't understand his accent and assumed it was shite like everything else.

Two Scottish shows I look back on fondly are City Lights and The High Life

Citizen Khan is brilliant. It's simple but effective and you can watch it with your mum

He always puts me in mind of Mr. Bean

It's built into the programme comissioning process. Only unfunny shite created by the producer's pals is allowed to be made on BBC Scotland. Limmy's Show only got through because the commissioning editor couldn't understand his accent and assumed it was shite like everything else.

To be fair, Limmy had been around for years before BBC gave him his show (his comedy podcasts in the mid 00's were actually popular throughout the uk) and BBC thought they could cash in on this while looking for the next Chewin' the fat/still game.... Problem is his show does not really transfer well to tv.

I'm in the perhaps unique position of having been on stage with Glen Michael at a Cavalcade roadshow in Strathaven's Ballgreen Hall in around 1985.

I've also been on stage with Johnny Ball who, unlike most children's presenters of the era, chose not to "reveal all".

Even though I'm from Glasgow I do feel it strange that the vast majority of "Scottish" programmes are actually Glasgow & West of Scotland bias. Guess its where the HQ are.

Awe fuk, that post just reminded me of Bob Servant. That was really awful, although I think it might have won awards. No idea how though.