Worst Scottish Tv Programs - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Scottish Tv Programs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Green Place

Rab C Nesbit (after series 3)

Athletico Partick

Snoddy (effectively a early incarnation of the chief superintendent character from Scotsquad)

Also in the 90's BBC Scotland attempt at Saturday morning tv with Sqoosh and Wyness Bay 90210

As Cove said, anything the Comedy Unit has produced since 1992

To be pedantic, Supergran is not actually Scottish, as it was produced by Tyne Tees Tv for ITV (Newcastle and North Yorkshire) and filmed mostly in the north west of England.

Edited by wanderer

Glen Michaels Cartoon Cavalcade was utter jobby

Used to love his show (essential Sunday viewing in the days of 4 channels on tv), then went to see his roadshow in Kilwinning in the mid 80's and basically he sat with a face like thunder throughout the whole show, as Paladin was playing up and not working properly, and kind of spoiled the illusion.

Dotaman

Monarch of the Glen

That Tank Commander pish

Gary Tank Commander was actually really good as a 15-20 minute stand up comedy routine but it has not translated well to TV at all. I've met Greg McHugh a couple of times and he's actually a really nice lad.

I have no idea why that show has such a cult following. It's dire.

Greg McHugh is irritating as hell.

Its to do with the live show version which he has been doing on the comedy club circuit for years and developed a cult following. Apparently the tv show is diluted a awful lot from the source material, so does not transfer well to the screen.

My mate loves the character in stand up but hates the tv show.

River City uses the bulk of BBC Scotland drama budget apparently which if true is a disgrace awful programme .

Scotland Tonight with its red background - terrible .

STV Edinburgh /Glasgow - Taggart was shit 30 years ago why do they think its better now .

Basically all Scottish TV is pish (cant speak for Grampian dont see it) anybody thats any good buggers off .

No, not giving you that one. Burnistoun is quality!

hqdefault.jpg

Suppose it is a bit marmite like, though. Same as League of Gentlemen was a few years back.

I downloaded this from Itunes after someone sent me the link for "Eleven" - to be honest I'm usually into this type of stuff and was hoping it was a bit like Harry Enfield (Aliens) or Chewin the Fat where the characters develop and the reptition of the humour starts to build (remember everyone saying Gonna No Day That - Just Gonae No! - that sort of thing) - but I'm really struggling and almost finished Series 2.

Really patchy, although I see the lads have done work for Chewin the Fat and Karen Dunbar Show - I think the lads should stick to writing as I just don't feel they have TV persona's - well not classic like say the Still Game Boys. Some of the Comedy timing is out, or just not really all that funny.

Maybe characters will eventually stick out like Victor and Jack from Chewin the Fat and potential for a series ala Still Game.

as for Mrs Browns Boys - absolute Gash, can never get what the fuss is all about.

Used to love his show (essential Sunday viewing in the days of 4 channels on tv), then went to see his roadshow in Kilwinning in the mid 80's and basically he sat with a face like thunder throughout the whole show, as Paladin was playing up and not working properly, and kind of spoiled the illusion.

I met Glen Michael and was pretty uncomfortable about it. He was really grumpy, like he hated kids and couldn't wait to be somewhere else. Looking back though, not wanting to hang around kids is a massive plus for a children's TV presenter of the era.

There was a Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade roadshow in the Institute Hall in Stewarton - possibly on the same tour. I didn't go as I was a bit old but I had my illusions shattered when I saw Paladin in a cardboard box in the back of an estate car parked at the rear of the hall.

Charlie Endell is the only person I know who knows Glen Michael's real name (well, bar Glen Michael).

Cecil Buckland - used to insure his Volvo back in the '80s (not me personally, the Royal).

I was taken to see him at an Eaglesham Gala Day.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I can see the demand for a federal BBC Scotland so it can make more programmes of the above quality.

River City

Riverside Show

Chart Bite

Anything with Elaine C Smith on bar Rab C

Funny Farm

Anything with Michelle McManus on altho always laughed on the day time she did at the cooking section as she waited slavering with a shovel ready to "taste" the dish.

Anything in Gaelic

Anything on STV Glasgow minus Film Review programs which is pretty good.

Anything that talks about "the good old days" romanticising about slums, outside toilets, domestic abuse, rickets and polio, pollution, pubs closing at 10pm. It was shite. Life is better. Move on.

Was that the one when Chic Murray was well pished? That was the best one ever. Must have been early 80s

Don't know if he was, but he was certainly pissed-off at one point. While the party was raging in the background he appeared on screen to do a sketch involving a bottle of whisky, only to discover that someone had nicked the bottle! End of sketch, Chic was beelin'.

I've seen another clip from it of a tired and emotional John Grieve trying to recite a poem about "being gay" (in the old sense) and failing miserably.

I can see the demand for a federal BBC Scotland so it can make more programmes of the above quality.

River City

Riverside Show

Chart Bite

Anything with Elaine C Smith on bar Rab C

Funny Farm

Anything with Michelle McManus on altho always laughed on the day time she did at the cooking section as she waited slavering with a shovel ready to "taste" the dish.

Anything in Gaelic

Anything on STV Glasgow minus Film Review programs which is pretty good.

Anything that talks about "the good old days" romanticising about slums, outside toilets, domestic abuse, rickets and polio, pollution, pubs closing at 10pm. It was shite. Life is better. Move on.

You could cherrypick the worst shows from UK wide networks to make that argument too though.

Plenty of quality stuff has been produced by BBC Scotland over the years.